Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2021, 08:51 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times

Advertisements

Why does this junk always come from the Tin Foil hat brigade....

"Overall, we rate National File an extreme right Tin-Foil Hat Conspiracy website based on the promotion of unproven/debunked claims and a Strong Pseudoscience purveyor based on using junk science to support claims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2021, 08:54 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,829,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Illegal aliens aren't Hispanic "immigrants".
No Hispanic immigrants are here legally? You better check again.

BTW: They are all Hispanic immigrants. Some are legal and some are illegal.

Old 12-16-2021, 08:56 AM

362 posts, read 143,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
When I hear "American Culture", just imagine you are in a different Country. Say France. And bring up Americans. The reason they smile or frown Is what American culture is. The reason so many are putting their own lives at risk to get in here IS for American Culture and all that is evolved and created.

A Black man born and raised in Philly Is an American and shares little 'Culture' with a Black man from Ghana. ​
Black culture is just as part of the fabric of American Culture as Baseball.

Fortune Cookies are American Culture. The fortune cookie didn't replace treats like Twinkies and refuse to adopt an English name, it added to the variety.

There are plenty of Ghanaians born in America and they heavily identify with their ethnic group too. Like most immigrants.

Old 12-16-2021, 09:01 AM

62,943 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelyone777 View Post
There are plenty of Ghanaians born in America and they heavily identify with their ethnic group too. Like most immigrants.
That's ok to a certain extent. Is it too much to expect them to identify as Americans out in mainstream America though? You know, blend in, don't stand out culturally?

Old 12-16-2021, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
No Hispanic immigrants are here legally? You better check again.

BTW: They are all Hispanic immigrants. Some are legal and some are illegal.
You misunderstood my post. I meant that Hispanic immigrants aren't illegal aliens. Immigrants come here legally not those who come here illegally and they are illegal aliens not plain ole "immigrants". I never said nor implied that there aren't Hispanics here legally.

Old 12-16-2021, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Fortune cookies were created by an advertising agency in San Francisco to celebrate the opening of a new Chinese restaurant. They were so popular they spread to China and the rest of the world.
They are still an Asian treat. You said yourself that they were created to celebrate a new Chinese restaurant. Unless you want to claim that they are a part of the American food fare of which they are not. Are they served with burgers and fries? Not last I looked.

Old 12-16-2021, 09:07 AM

6,665 posts, read 2,969,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No, fortune cookies are not American culture. They are of Asian culture. Geezus!
Quote:
Fortune cookies were created by an advertising agency in San Francisco to celebrate the opening of a new Chinese restaurant. They were so popular they spread to China and the rest of the world.
I am guessing(hoping) he was being sarcastic, due to the sarcastic emoji there

I just used it as an example of 'integration' into a dominant American culture. It actually reminds me of that scene in "A Christmas Story", where the family goes out for Chinese food because the dogs ruined their Dinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelyone777 View Post
I meant to mean a man Born and living in Ghana,...but aside from that sure, I get there are people that still identify with their original culture of origin here. Your example would probably qualify as a "sub-Culture" like the poster I was responding to mentioned.
I just wanted to point out that there is such thing as an American Culture and it's not tied to color.

Old 12-16-2021, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
I am guessing(hoping) he was being sarcastic, due to the sarcastic emoji there

I just used it as an example of 'integration' into a dominant American culture. It actually reminds me of that scene in "A Christmas Story", where the family goes out for Chinese food because the dogs ruined their Dinner.

I meant to mean a man Born and living in Ghana,...but aside from that sure, I get there are people that still identify with their original culture of origin here. Your example would probably qualify as a "sub-Culture" like the poster I was responding to mentioned.
I just wanted to point out that there is such thing as an American Culture and it's not tied to color.
Thank you! Someone who gets it.

Old 12-16-2021, 09:15 AM

8,418 posts, read 4,575,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Is it explaining the legal process to obtain Refugee status? I don't see an issue with that, we have a legal process for Refugees, therefore, explaining it is not criminal. No different than reading it online if you have internet access.

If you have an issue with the US Refugee program itself then that is another issue.

I have a problem with that. You either are a refugee or you aren't. No need for coaching.

Old 12-16-2021, 09:16 AM

4 posts, read 922 times
Quote:
Because of this, the United States is one of the most culturally diverse countries in the world, according to The London School. Nearly every region of the world has influenced American culture, most notably the English who colonized the country beginning in the early 1600s, according to the Library of Congress. U.S. culture has also been shaped by the cultures of Indigenous Americans, Latin Americans, Africans and Asians.

The United States is sometimes described as a "melting pot", according to Golden Beacon USA, in which different cultures have contributed their own distinct "flavors" to American culture. Just as cultures from around the world have influenced American culture, today American culture influences the world. The term Western culture often refers broadly to the cultures of the United States and Europe, according to ScienceDaily.
https://www.livescience.com/28945-american-culture.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies