Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 09:38 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,327,021 times

Advertisements

This has been going on for many years. It has been happening, since the Vietnam War and maybe even before.

VA psychologist to staff: don't diagnose PTSD
Triage | Chicago Tribune | Blog

Sadly, the federal government is the biggest discriminator against PTSD veterans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 11:29 PM

1,252 posts, read 2,645,798 times
Free help at non profit organisation Patriot Outreach.org.

***The light of a true patriot can never be extinguished.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:23 AM

3,301 posts, read 6,327,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilssson View Post
Free help at non profit organisation Patriot Outreach.org .

***The light of a true patriot can never be extinguished.
Thanks for the information!!

Old 05-19-2008, 02:36 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
This has been going on for many years. It has been happening, since the Vietnam War and maybe even before.
How do you figure that?

I think PTSD first appears in DSM III, so to claim it occurred during Vietnam and beforehand is totally absurd, underhanded and deceitful.

Like the doctor said when the jury awarded damages for Toxic Shock Syndrome, "maybe we should award compensation for victims of pneumonia before penicillin existed."

I don't see anything wrong with denying claims for a predetermined period of time, especially if such a time frame distinguishes between PTSD and adjustment disorder. Can you not see what has happened over the last 10 years?

The "symptoms" for all diseases metal or physical are published on the internet and advertised in magazines and television, so all it takes is a simple moron to memorize the symptoms and regurgitate them to a doctor to get certain prescription medications.

Sorry, suicide is not one of the symptoms of PTSD. I know, I've been there and been treated for PTSD (3 months in-patient 9-months out-patient at the DOM), but I don't get any compensation because no one can find my military medical records. Congressman Chabot and Senators Voinovich and Brown (and DeWine) have been trying to get them for the last 7 years.

I don't have a problem waiting a period of time to get the diagnosis accurate.

Let's be real. There are people on naval vessels that never saw combat during Vietnam claiming they have PTSD. Really?

There are REMFs and supply-pukes in Vietnam that never saw a dead body claiming PTSD, so let's be real, it's all bull-****.

My grandfather never saw the US for 4 freaking years and those weak pathetic slimy excremental worm pukes whine and cry about being in Iraq for 6 months of combat duty (yeah -- read and weep -- a tour of duty in Iraq is 3 months training -- 6 months on the ground -- 3 months hearts 'n' minds).

My grandfather was in North Africa, Italy and Germany, with planes dropping bombs on him (Iraq-veteran pukes -- what planes?) and artillery falling on him for hours and hours and hours day and night for weeks and weeks (Iraq-pukes -- what freaking artillery?).

So I'm glad someone is protecting the tax-payers. Iraq a war zone? Yeah, I have more respect for cops in Detroit than troops in Iraq.

Hopefully we don't have a real war that requires deployment for more than 1 year.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:33 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,037 times
Mircea,

I'm just curious, but I've never heard anyone describe the troops in a way that you have. I always think you have some very interesting things to say, but is it this particular war that causes you to think this way about Iraq veterans? For me, I feel kind of sorry for them with their redeployments. I feel even worse that they have to fight in a stupid and senseless war. Maybe this contributes to worse psychiatric symptoms than would be the case if they were fighting in a just war.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:17 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

...a tour of duty in Iraq is 3 months training -- 6 months on the ground -- 3 months hearts 'n' minds).

(Iraq-veteran pukes -- what planes?) and artillery falling on him for hours and hours and hours day and night for weeks and weeks (Iraq-pukes -- what freaking artillery?).

So I'm glad someone is protecting the tax-payers. Iraq a war zone? Yeah, I have more respect for cops in Detroit than troops in Iraq.

Hopefully we don't have a real war that requires deployment for more than 1 year.
You obviously have not been to Iraq. There are enough mortars, rockets (both of which are part of that wondrous artillery family), and bullets every day to kill you many times over. Detroit? MFP!

And those tour length dates sure aren't any the Army is going by...

Old 05-19-2008, 12:59 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,372,565 times
Just because the formal diagnosis of PTSD didn't enter the DSM until fairly recently, that doesn't mean that veterans and others didn't have it long before them. My great-grandfather came back from his generation's Vietnam, the Phillipine Insurrection, with every sign and symptom of PTSD that we recognize today.

That's like saying that the common cold didn't exist before DSM I came out.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:15 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
The term PTSD developed in the 1970s to describe the stress problems returning vets from Vietnam experienced. The use of the terminology was suppressed for many years by the federal government in an attempt to limit financial claims by vet. If it's not a recognized condition, the VA can't treat it.

To suggest otherwise is just ignorant, dishonest or both. The malady has been recognized since the earliest days of combat and has been called various names like "battle fatigue" or "shell shock".

Old 05-19-2008, 02:13 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
Just because the formal diagnosis of PTSD didn't enter the DSM until fairly recently, that doesn't mean that veterans and others didn't have it long before them. My great-grandfather came back from his generation's Vietnam, the Phillipine Insurrection, with every sign and symptom of PTSD that we recognize today.

That's like saying that the common cold didn't exist before DSM I came out.
Well, SAD (seasonal affective disorder) sure was and still is an issue for me and LONG before it made its way into the DSM.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:42 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Isn't deliberately mis-diagnosing a problem malpractice at best or ciminal at the worst? If nothing else I woud think it a violation of the oath every doctor takes.

Or are military doctors not subject to all three?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies