Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2021, 05:07 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,092,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Don't know. Hardly anyone one social distances and fewer people are masking up. Numbers seem to be rising and the NFL, for what it's worth, is seeing increased cases, notably on the LA Rams and Cleveland Browns. FWIW, 1,598 people died from Covid yesterday while there were 108,566 new cases according to World O Meter
And the total death rate is still less than one quarter of one percent and the cases vs tests ratio is still under 7%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2021, 06:14 AM

29,470 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Depends on ones definition of "work". I think they are a deterrent, much like coving your face when sneezing but that is about it. Nothing against masking up, and I will do it when around a large group of people.

Old 12-16-2021, 06:16 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
Did they ever really work?
If one avoids all close contact with other humans, it is impossible to get Covid.

While that’s not realistic for most people, it is usually easy enough to put distance between oneself and others, especially inside.

The durability of immunity acquired from a prior infection is unpredictable.

We have known since mid summer the efficacy of vaccine begins to wane at the 5-6 month mark.

Old 12-16-2021, 06:17 AM

17,620 posts, read 6,908,038 times
The brainwashed Democrats still think so. COVID is their religion.

Old 12-16-2021, 06:42 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
The brainwashed Democrats still think so. COVID is their religion.
Covid does not discriminate.

Right now most hospitals in Indiana have reached capacity. Elective surgeries have been cancelled. National Guard has been deployed to assist/ support hospitals. Most hospitals north of Indianapolis are beyond capacity.

24+ hour waits in the ER for non- life threatening cases have become common place.

Similar outcome in Ky, right now, especially in counties with low vaccination rates which tend to have populations with higher rates of obesity, Diabetes and smoking.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2...nated-america/

Old 12-16-2021, 06:49 AM

2,912 posts, read 1,248,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Covid does not discriminate.

Right now most hospitals in Indiana have reached capacity. Elective surgeries have been cancelled. National Guard has been deployed to assist/ support hospitals. Most hospitals north of Indianapolis are beyond capacity.

24+ hour waits in the ER for non- life threatening cases have become common place.

Similar outcome in Ky, right now, especially in counties with low vaccination rates which tend to have populations with higher rates of obesity, Diabetes and smoking.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2...nated-america/
I'm next door in Ohio.

Hospital is 'near' capacity ... but I say that with a caveat. We had to shut down an entire floor back in May due to staffing issues.

ER ranges from a half hour wait to a 6 hour wait. This depends on a wide variety of factors. Obviously severity of malady but the main issue is availability of a room for admission for the reason I stated above.

Elective surgeries are still full steam ahead. This current week we have a schedule of 120+.

Old 12-16-2021, 06:54 AM

29,470 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkHammer View Post
I'm next door in Ohio.

Hospital is 'near' capacity ... but I say that with a caveat. We had to shut down an entire floor back in May due to staffing issues.

ER ranges from a half hour wait to a 6 hour wait. This depends on a wide variety of factors. Obviously severity of malady but the main issue is availability of a room for admission for the reason I stated above.

Elective surgeries are still full steam ahead. This current week we have a schedule of 120+.
I was talking to my next door neighbor the other day, he is an anesthesiologist. I asked him about the whole "capacity" thing. He laughed, and said of course we are busy, when aren't we ? An empty bed doesn't pay for itself. He also added that there was no threat of ER's being shut down to being too full. His hospital is just outside of the Detroit metro area, although still a county that has very high covid cases.

Old 12-16-2021, 07:03 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
1,598 people died from Covid yesterday while there were 108,566 new cases according to
Those 1598 died with COVID, but not necessarily or exclusively from it; other factors such as age and smoking are never mentioned.

And the hypesters and manipulators have repeatedly refused to address that point.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 12-16-2021 at 07:19 AM..

Old 12-16-2021, 07:06 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
We're at a point where it's being done how it should be done at least out by me everybody can make their own choice as to how much protection they feel they need.

None of this you must comply mandatory mandate crap. It's better if boosted people spread covid around anyway so we can achieve faster spread and more immunity more quickly than trying to drag this out forever.

This full hospital thing is been largely a myth at least in the United States. It's kind of like how people are overhyping the strong low pressure system that move through stating that there's a hundred mile per hour winds in Iowa.... Maybe in one spot for 5 seconds... Human beings just have a flair for the dramatic.

Old 12-16-2021, 07:10 AM

2,912 posts, read 1,248,697 times
To directly address the premise of this thread. NO, social distancing and masking do not and will not work. EVERY single one of us will be exposed to Covid if we have already not been. If you're sick and coughing PLEASE wear a mask. It will somewhat prevent immediate transmission of whatever it is you are afflicted with. Otherwise, it is useless.

Chances are, EVERYONE who reads this post has been exposed to Covid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies