Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2021, 04:47 PM

4,232 posts, read 2,456,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Prices are up 20% but my 401k is up 50%. I’m still ahead. Index funds are one way to stay ahead of the Fed’s money printing.

The rich always win. Put your money where they do.
They do, until they don't. What's left of the social order is becoming increasingly destabilized. This will lead to consequences that not even the wealthy can escape. Money is no protection from chaos- just ask the headless aristocrats of late 18th century France.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2021, 04:50 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,362,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I am not seeing a 50% cost overall, either (more like 20%, I think) -- but my husband just placed an order for some spices and saw a large increase in those prices. He was told that the cost of shipping overseas products to the U.S. has jumped by 700% since last year!

(As this was told to him over the phone, I have no link to verify that, however.)
Related to the price of fuel in part which democrata have intentionally made expensive.

Lets go brandon.

Old 12-16-2021, 04:50 PM

43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Prices are up 20% but my 401k is up 50%. I’m still ahead. Index funds are one way to stay ahead of the Fed’s money printing.

The rich always win. Put your money where they do.
Right now they are putting their money into hard assets as a hedge for inflation.

Old 12-16-2021, 04:51 PM

27,137 posts, read 15,313,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
As a millionaire you probably are somewhat on the right side of the graph. I guess your level of hardship puts you in the 2% red zone. Or maybe there is no particular hardship? Families, not just retirees, in the under $40k bracket are having a harder time of it -- at least about 70% say so. I'm somewhere in the middle graph, mostly in the green. I have seen increases in some prices but not at any level of hardship. I went shopping for clothes today and had sticker shock, but I haven't really done that for a while so I can't say that is a new increase. We are two years into a "perfect storm" of Covid restrictions, 800,000 deaths, employment crisis coupled with unfilled jobs (somehow), supply chain delays, and rising prices, and now seasonal shortages and colder weather. Prices are going to go up.
Just because it's a matter of degree inflation still affects everyone.
Even luxury items the more well to do among us hold off on also affects those down the line from companies to the workers.

Old 12-16-2021, 04:52 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,362,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
They do, until they don't. What's left of the social order is becoming increasingly destabilized. This will lead to consequences that not even the wealthy can escape. Money is no protection from chaos- just ask the headless aristocrats of late 18th century France.
The headless aristocrats. Yeah I remember that was on Metallicas first record right.

Old 12-16-2021, 04:52 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
The wealthy have private jets and can escape to wherever they need to. This isn’t the 18th century.

Old 12-16-2021, 04:53 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Wait. OP. You're shopping in the 99 cent store, and there are things that are more than 99 cents?

What we have here is the Dollar Tree, and everything is a dollar. Everything. Except stuff that's two for a dollar.

I'm not finding a stiff increase in my grocery bill, on staple items. Bananas are still 44 cents a pound, as they have been for years, for some reason.

You obviously haven't been in a Dollar Tree in a while.

Last year or this year they started a small section with prices up to $5.

Then, a few weeks ago, all....not some....of the $1.00 stuff was raised to $1.25 (and that raise to $1.25 has been mentioned multiple times in this thread).

Old 12-16-2021, 04:54 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
Bet you voted for Biden. Stop covering for his horrible policies. He triggered this madness the week he took office with his green policies which intended to get americans to stop using fossil fuels and buy electric vehicles. It was a bad idea because it jacked up the cost of transporting goods and every other aspect of the economy including agriculture and industry. Things that have no electric vehicles to force upon. It created chaos and made supply chain issues worse. You voted for the idiot now own your mistake.
Huh? What does that have to do with strawberries being out of season and thus more expensive?

Old 12-16-2021, 04:55 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Right now they are putting their money into hard assets as a hedge for inflation.
That’s why I own a house with a mortgage. Inflation is helping to pay down my mortgage.

Old 12-16-2021, 04:56 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
The headless aristocrats. Yeah I remember that was on Metallicas first record right.

Lars and James are probably riding out any increase in the cost of food pretty well .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies