Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2021, 05:42 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Go out to AZ and get on the I 10 at night, they all do 85. The speed is not a shock.

“ I can’t imagine a trucking company being ok with that speed” how naive are you? When it comes down to it most businesses only care about the bottom line. More speed is more potential profits.

Totally agree with the above.

I have driven a lot of the US west and southwest.......many truckers driving like total psychopaths that have sole claim to the roadways. Even if I am in the slow-lane, driving at or very near the speed limit on a multi-lane highway, there goes that speeding truck 1/2-second off my tail.

The huge accident is shocking only because it does not happen a lot more often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2021, 06:45 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,692,387 times
I see people upset with the long sentence but at least some of them fortunately have the sanity that he should serve some years. But then you have people who think it was just an accident and he shouldn't serve any time at all.

I just want to smack these people in the fact for being stupid. Do you realize the precedent that could be set by just letting him go free? Truck drivers have CDL's for a reason. It's supposed to mean they can handle trucks better and keep the roads safe.

This guy might feel horrible and didn't mean to do it but you can't just let this be brushed off as an accident and not serve time. Other truckers need to now that you have to take this job serious. For all we know he barely based his CDL test and didn't take his job that serious.

Old 12-28-2021, 07:15 PM

1,936 posts, read 822,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I see people upset with the long sentence but at least some of them fortunately have the sanity that he should serve some years. But then you have people who think it was just an accident and he shouldn't serve any time at all.

I just want to smack these people in the fact for being stupid. Do you realize the precedent that could be set by just letting him go free? Truck drivers have CDL's for a reason. It's supposed to mean they can handle trucks better and keep the roads safe.

This guy might feel horrible and didn't mean to do it but you can't just let this be brushed off as an accident and not serve time. Other truckers need to now that you have to take this job serious. For all we know he barely based his CDL test and didn't take his job that serious.
Some still drive like they're on the Mogadishu- Nairobi run, and doing it thinking it was the Cannonball Run.

Old 12-28-2021, 08:18 PM

7,103 posts, read 4,531,425 times
There was a runaway truck ramp that he could have taken.

Old 12-28-2021, 08:23 PM

2,042 posts, read 855,366 times
I work in the transportation industry and although I’m not a truck driver I work with literally thousands of them. They’re all talking about this case and believe it or not most of them support this guy’s harsh sentence.

He drove right on by several runaway truck ramp‘s number one, and even when he realized he was reaching the bottom of the mountain and saw the stop traffic at that point any noble truck driver would take the ditch. You take your chances off road in a ditch rather than 100% assurance that you’re going to take other lives out by plowing into people. He still had a chance to walk away from the crash without serious injury taking the truck off road. He chose not to. Now I get he was probably in a total shocked And panicked state of mind, but like others have alluded to he was a professional. Supposedly.

Old 12-29-2021, 05:13 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Having said that, I think the company should be held liable, as well. If the driver doesn't understand enough English to know what the signs are for, or be able to read or understand English, they shouldn't be driving a semi in this country. If he can't read or understand the signs, or understand his own truck, how the hell did he pass the CDL test?

You don't mess around and take short cuts with big rigs - when things are not properly checked, not properly used, and not properly understood, it can kill people, and cause massive damage.
An extremely valid point.

Should he do time? Yes. 110 years... Seems a tad excessive. Apparently there are some mandatory sentencing laws in play, which goes to show why those are a bad idea.

Old 12-29-2021, 05:48 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,017,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweettea View Post
I work in the transportation industry and although I’m not a truck driver I work with literally thousands of them. They’re all talking about this case and believe it or not most of them support this guy’s harsh sentence.

He drove right on by several runaway truck ramp‘s number one, and even when he realized he was reaching the bottom of the mountain and saw the stop traffic at that point any noble truck driver would take the ditch. You take your chances off road in a ditch rather than 100% assurance that you’re going to take other lives out by plowing into people. He still had a chance to walk away from the crash without serious injury taking the truck off road. He chose not to. Now I get he was probably in a total shocked And panicked state of mind, but like others have alluded to he was a professional. Supposedly.
^^

He had a higher probability of waking away from it in the ditch than any one else did in a pedestrian vehicle getting hit by him.

110 is excessive and illustrates the flaw that is mandatory sentencing. Just highlights an issue we have much like my disagreement that there should be any private prisons.

But he's still guilty and should be jailed for awhile.

Old 12-29-2021, 05:59 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweettea View Post

A rookie professional that maybe didn't get the proper training.

Still liable though.

Old 12-30-2021, 06:59 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,521,031 times
Wow. I wasn't expecting this kind of reduction in time. Seems like it went from one extreme to the other

Colorado trucker’s 110-year sentence reduced to 10 years after outcry

Last edited by Joe the Photog; 12-30-2021 at 07:08 PM..

Old 12-30-2021, 07:04 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Wow. I wasn't expecting this kind of reduction in time. Seems like it went from one extreme to the other

Colorado trucker’s 110-year sentence reduced to 10 years after outcry
Wtf? I was thinking 40-50 years with in 15-20 years having parole opportunities. I'm sure those families are crushed. What a light sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies