Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2021, 03:54 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,630,868 times

Advertisements

110 years does sound excessive, but considering what he did, I can't seem to find any sympathy for him.

From reading around, it appears this truck driver didn't know enough English to read the warning signs when his brakes failed, and he consciously made the decision to turn towards where drivers were stalled in traffic. Basically, he had some time to prevent what happened, but he didn't. Doesn't matter whether he intended it or not, he still bears responsibility.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/14/us/co...ced/index.html

Quote:
A truck driver who crashed into traffic on Interstate 70 in Denver, killing four people, was sentenced Monday to 110 years in prison, according to Colorado Judicial Department spokesperson Rob McCallum.

Rogel Aguilera-Mederos, 26, was driving a semi tractor-trailer in April 2019, traveling at 85 mph, when the brakes failed, he told investigators at the time. He tried to pull over to the shoulder to avoid stopped traffic, but another semi had already stopped there, according to an arrest affidavit.

The crash led to a fiery 28-car pileup that left four dead, the Lakewood Police Department said at the time. Aguilera-Mederos was found guilty in October and convicted on vehicular homicide and 23 other charges, according to Colorado's First Judicial District Attorney's Office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2021, 04:53 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,116,393 times
It seems a mandatory minimum is in play. I don't understand though, was their negligence or recklessness involved? Perhaps his speed? I also think this is incredibly harsh if it was an accident.

Old 12-16-2021, 05:31 PM

1,933 posts, read 819,598 times
1,000 miles north of Denver the the sentence was much different when a truck plowed into a bus filled with a junior hockey team.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humbol...ncos_bus_crash

Old 12-16-2021, 08:36 PM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times
That's in Canada, what does that have to do with the U.S.?

Truckers are held to a higher standard because of all the testing they go through to get their CDL. They are considered 'professional' drivers. A mistake made by them is treated harsher than a normal 4 wheeler driver, typically.

First of all, why was he going 85 mph? I can't imagine a single trucking company being ok with that speed.

Second of all, how did he pass his tests if he can't read English? Did they give him the test in Spanish? If so, why? Our signs are not in Spanish.

Was there any investigation of the brakes? Did they actually fail due to mechanical issues, or did they fail because he was speeding in a tractor trailer, that already takes a long time to slow down, and burned the damn brakes out when he laid on them, not using any other method to stop the truck?

Did he try to down shift? Were there no runaway ramps for him prior to the area where he plowed into anyone? Was there no way for him to hurt only himself, as some truckers have done - they have gotten themselves killed trying to avoid killing others.

And then, he 'closed his eyes'? Really!?

He was given the minimum time for every single count. It's just that what he did was indeed so reckless and so careless, it destroyed lives, and hurt a lot of people.

Why was he traveling that fast in a semi?

Old 12-16-2021, 08:50 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,307,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerlynorthofnowhere View Post
1,000 miles north of Denver the the sentence was much different when a truck plowed into a bus filled with a junior hockey team.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humbol...ncos_bus_crash
it seems that...

in one case, the alleged criminal pled guilty before trial.
in the other, that party did not, for whatever reason.

Old 12-16-2021, 08:55 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,789,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

Why was he traveling that fast in a semi?
Why are semis even capable of traveling that fast in the first place?

Old 12-16-2021, 09:16 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,406,988 times
How familiar is everyone here with I-70 EB heading down hill into Denver

Old 12-17-2021, 02:13 AM

3,148 posts, read 2,730,419 times
He was going 85 because he was going down a long hill with a heavy load and burned up his brakes.

He either had no engine brake to help slow the truck or he tried to downshift and missed the gear and got stuck in neutral.

Old 12-17-2021, 05:46 AM

6,365 posts, read 2,702,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
It seems a mandatory minimum is in play. I don't understand though, was their negligence or recklessness involved? Perhaps his speed? I also think this is incredibly harsh if it was an accident.
From a couple of reports, it wasn't that the brakes just happen to fail one time. He apparently was an inexperienced driver who either ignored the notification he brakes had a failure or couldn't read it because he didn't understand English. As a truck driver with a CDL, it is his responsibility to make sure his truck and all of its equipment are in working order. That is where the recklessness and harsher sentence come in.

Old 12-17-2021, 05:52 AM

4,027 posts, read 2,712,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
How familiar is everyone here with I-70 EB heading down hill into Denver

I've done it a few times. (Granted, not driving a semi--first a Jeep, then a sedan.)

There's lots of signs warning about the grade involved, and if I'm recalling correctly, said signs also have pictures as well as words (it's admittedly been awhile since I've been up that way, so I could be misremembering, but the image did immediately flash to my mind). There's also a number of runaway truck ramps that are marked (I definitely am not sure if these have pictures as well as words on them.) But I know there's stretches were a lot of drivers will be riding their brakes quite a bit (I'm thinking of a particular stretch near Genesee Park here.)

I remember watching a video that another vehicle behind the truck while it was in the foothills had taken of him. The men in that vehicle were speaking Spanish, and were clearly worried about what the truck driver was doing. One of them, as I recall, gestured at the 'runaway truck ramp' sign and from the tone, they seemed to think the truck would use it, and when he didn't....well, I can't understand enough Spanish to know exactly *what* they were saying, but it was pretty clear the tone was, "What the hell is he doing?"

Last edited by Indigo Cardinal; 12-17-2021 at 06:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies