Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2021, 06:47 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,058,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
considering its a virus spreading in a densely populated city, who can we blame? a politician? anti vaxxers (except the ones who are poc) ? or maybe…just maybe the vaccine manufacturers? china?

now from the democrat party/mainstream media propaganda perspective, they wont ever blame most of the above and will advocate locking everyone down again or mandatory perpetual boosters.
Clearly it is because the Orange Man was Bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2021, 06:49 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
The point is lefties are all about attacking Republicans when it happens in Red or Purple states, but refuse to do the same when it happens in Blue states.

Red states in the south get their biggest surge in the summer because it's hot and people go inside, just like the north get's theirs in the winter because it's cold and people go inside. The issue is when it's the Red states that get their summer surge you lefties make it all political, but when it's the blue states you don't blame the Democrats. It's the complete hypocrisy of the left that is the issue.
I see it differently.

I see some people claim that some 'red states' are reporting the best stats and it is all because of the lack of mandates.

So then folks will talk about it.

Every comment on Florida has been initiated by someone touting Florida's success with COVID.

The news I've seen has been reporting on how most northern states are seeing significant increases.

Florida ranks 15th for per capita cases
New York 33rd.

North Dakota, Tennessee, Alaska, Wyoming top 4 states for cases per capita.

From what I gather -- all red leaning.

Remember it was a Democrat/liberal who started the thread on red vs. blue. It is continually a red leaning person who seems to try and imply blue states aren't managing COVID as well as red states.

Red leaning people initiate the comparisons

Old 12-17-2021, 06:52 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
The point is lefties are all about attacking Republicans when it happens in Red or Purple states, but refuse to do the same when it happens in Blue states.

Red states in the south get their biggest surge in the summer because it's hot and people go inside, just like the north get's theirs in the winter because it's cold and people go inside. The issue is when it's the Red states that get their summer surge you lefties make it all political, but when it's the blue states you don't blame the Democrats. It's the complete hypocrisy of the left that is the issue.
You are half-right. Both sides do it.

The OP did it, and was called out. No amount of 'whataboutism' changes that.

I will say though, there is a difference in blaming Dems when policies are in place that those on the right PROUDLY refuse to follow, versus blaming the right, when they write laws forbidding localities to put protocols in place. When you proudly ignore a policy, you can't then blame the policy for it's failure.

That said, your point is fair-enough. And i do speak out against the left when they do it. (On this forum, I look like a 'leftie'. In other groups, I can look like a 'rightie'. I try to always play devils advocate, and typically side with the underdog in a given environment. On these boards, the 'lefties' are definitely the underdog.

Old 12-17-2021, 06:56 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
How can this be? They make everone wear masks, and they assured us that the vaccines were...

1. safe
2. effective
3. would stop covid
4. would allow us to get back to normal

Post 11--- REALLY? Get my boosters and keep poisoning myself? Nothing was ever said about needing boosters every 6 months or 6 weeks or 6 days or whatever Fauci and company have in mind.
No vaccine is 100% effective. The Covid vaccines were about 95% effective against the original Covid.

All vaccines were developed, trialed and approved for emergency use before the Delta variant emerged among the 1.4 billion unvaccinated people in India and now the even more contagious Omicron variant that emerged among the 1.2 billion unvaccinated people in Africa.

As the Covid rolls, the vaccines provide increased protection against serious Covid. 90% of current hospitalizations in my state are among the unvaccinated.

I get the seasonal flu shot each year as I understand last year’s dose does not protect against the current year’s strains and the efficacy of the vaccine wanes over time.

The outcomes are unimaginable to me had the US never approved any vaccine or imposed any restrictions on behaviors. The healthcare/ hospitalization systems would have crumbled. Those experiencing heart attacks, strokes, car accidents, victims of violence, broken bones from slip and falls, child birth etc would have been SOL.

Old 12-17-2021, 07:02 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I see it differently.

I see some people claim that some 'red states' are reporting the best stats and it is all because of the lack of mandates.

Every comment on Florida has been initiated by someone touting Florida's success with COVID.

The news I've seen has been reporting on how most northern states are seeing significant increases.

New York 33rd.

Remember it was a Democrat/liberal who started the thread on red vs. blue. It is continually a red leaning person who seems to try and imply blue states aren't managing COVID as well as red states.

It has become clear that weather matters. When weather causes people to socialize inside, Covid tends to peak.

It traveled north this year as the weather changed.

Covid is an equal opportunity destroyer and does not care about partisanship.

Old 12-17-2021, 07:12 AM

5,632 posts, read 1,768,109 times
Quote:
Yup New York's 7 day average surged to about 12,000 daily cases. Wonder if they will beat Florida's 7 day average high from this summer -- it was over 21,000. That would be sad.
Of course they will. That's how it works. People in Florida flock inside in the summer due to the heat and the virus spreads. People in New York flock inside in the winter due to the cold and the virus spreads. It's just that you Democrats always want to make Covid political when it's a Red state's turn, but never do when it's a Blue state's turn. Or I should say you always blame a Republican, but never a Democrat.

Here is the secret you never seem to understand. Covid doesn't give a crap what party you belong to or what fake mask you wear or what vaccine you get. The virus is adapting and is now infecting mostly the vaccinated. This is now a pandemic of the vaccinated.

Here is another fact. More people have died of Covid on Biden's watch with the vaccines than on Trump's watch with vaccines until December. That is shocking. I never thought that would be possible.

Old 12-17-2021, 07:14 AM

5,067 posts, read 2,276,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Are you suggesting that "because they are liberal, COVID thrived"? That is ridiculous!

What do you think the cause and effect REALLY are? My guesses:
New York City has high concentration of people, living and being in close quarters
Mask Mandates are not being followed at all (and someone wearing a mesh-mask is not in compliance)
Distancing is basically not possible
Still a lot of unvaxxed people

Just look at it objectively, without your partisan blinders, and you could see why New York is not somehow immune to this virus, rather they are seeing a spike like much of the rest of the world. It seems a winter-spike is inevitable. Certainly not the 'fault of democrats", and I would agree that "vax/mask/distance" will not magically shield the entire population from the virus (especially since those things are not really being followed).

It's all good, 20 years from now, someone will reveal they have COVID, and you'll blame it on Biden and his Librul agenda. SMH.
Yes, high concentration of people in the city.
Mask mandates are being followed, and even a huge number of people masked up outside on the sidewalks.
I thought the reason we all had to wear masks indoors was to stop the spread where distancing wasn't possible. What happened to that?
NYC is one of the most vaccinated cities. You can't do much other than go to the grocery store and pharmacy unless you are vaccinated.

So no, NYC isn't somehow immune. The point you are missing is that NYC residents have largely followed every single requirement laid out, but have not been able to avoid any of this. At the same time, everyone wants to bash the places where they've been more relaxed about measures.

Just this morning in the NY Times morning email, they are doing it again. The title is "Omicron Threatens Red America". FFS, it's obviously affecting everyone, not just RED states.

This is beyond tiresome, beyond aggravating. It's purposely divisive.

Old 12-17-2021, 07:16 AM

5,067 posts, read 2,276,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The durability of immunity derived from a prior infection is uncertain and not permanent, as new variants emerge.
I've asked you for proof of this three times now. Where is it?

Old 12-17-2021, 07:18 AM

17,401 posts, read 14,631,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I've asked you for proof of the three times now. Where is it?
Sometimes people just parrot what they've heard without knowing the facts.

Old 12-17-2021, 07:24 AM

8,419 posts, read 4,574,906 times
Quote:
I see it differently.

New York 33rd.

Another thing to look at is the blue people were giving eulogies in anticipation of everyone in southern states dying. They weren't very compassionate either. Most were "you get what you deserve". Very high levels of schadenfreude. Now that the northern/blue states are taking their turn, the left has settled down and calling for the compassion they were in such short supply of months earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies