Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2021, 03:00 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Of course because they aren't good if the government doesn't have their stamp of approval on them.

Yet cod liver oil as your vitamin D in the winter time goes back to the 1800's.

Just because the government hasn't put their stamp of approval on something means it's bad or untrustworthy.

Sometimes the old ways, before big pharma, are the best ways that still work.
Well, yeah. I agree a lot of the old remedies are still good, but I am grateful to take my modern day Vita D in a capsule rather than a stinky spoonful of cod liver oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2021, 03:07 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I hadn't either, but then I almost died from the flu.

I spent nearly a month in an ICU on a ventilator.

At one point, my family was advised to start thinking about a funeral.

When I finally did recover, I had lost more than seventy pounds and was unable to walk.

(fwiw)
You point out a problem I have seen with many people. They and the people they know have always been healthy. They have never experienced a dire illness and therefore cannot seem to imagine what it might be like, or they think it will never happen to them. This causes many to be very cavalier about vaccines and other public health measures.

Glad to hear you pulled through your ordeal. I understand what it is like to have severe health problems.

Old 12-19-2021, 04:03 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
As if we needed this, we are now seeing that the flu strain expected this year has mutated and the shots we got are not likely to give us much protection from infection. You know the line by now - but they may protect against serious disease. In any case, this means more people on top of all the covid cases heading for hospitals next month that are already filled to the doors.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...surge-rcna9196
I'm like..... really scared. Guess I'll just stay inside all winter and hide.

Old 12-19-2021, 04:06 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
Leftists are such **** stirring panic puppies.

Pathetic.
^^^^^This. They need to hide under their beds and leave the rest if us alone. And stop pushing their control freak, anti freedom, collectivist agenda.

Old 12-19-2021, 05:22 AM

8,408 posts, read 4,571,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Well, at least get the facts straight.

A. The pros tell us flu shots are 40-60% effective. Usually with the vaccinated becoming less sick among those who become sick......fewer ICU stays etc.

B. For low/bad information game players that means flu shots don't work. For public health docs/Ph.Ds etc. it means they are very beneficial.

I've never heard them say the flu shot reduced symptoms, only that it was 40-60% effective at keeping you from contracting it. You know, the way normal vaccines are judged (just not very good). This whole "you'll catch it but it wont be as bad" is a new feature of vaccines.

The one year I took the flu shot was the one year I got the flu. It kicked my a$$ worse then it did my neighbor who caught it and didn't get the shot.

Old 12-19-2021, 06:27 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I hadn't either, but then I almost died from the flu.

I spent nearly a month in an ICU on a ventilator.

At one point, my family was advised to start thinking about a funeral.

When I finally did recover, I had lost more than seventy pounds and was unable to walk.

(fwiw)
As one gets older than 40 they need to start thinking differently about these respiratory infections. Just like weaker muscles and memory, the immune system loses its ability to protect and cure you with each passing year. Things that you would have brushed off with a few sniffles and maybe a day on the couch turn into a week of it. Going forward, it can get really serious as you can attest. If pharmaceutical help is available, it is wise to take advantage of it.

Old 12-19-2021, 06:51 AM

9,432 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
I have never had a flu shot and I have never had the flu so my level of concern is at zero.
I've had the flu a few times in my life, but that was ages ago. I don't get a flu shot and I won't start now.
My MD is okay with this but I did get pneumovaxx and the shingles shots, both of which she talked me into. After 2 covids and booster as well, I'm done with shots. Seriously.

Old 12-19-2021, 07:11 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
As if we needed this, we are now seeing that the flu strain expected this year has mutated and the shots we got are not likely to give us much protection from infection. You know the line by now - but they may protect against serious disease. In any case, this means more people on top of all the covid cases heading for hospitals next month that are already filled to the doors.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...surge-rcna9196
The shot is reformulated each year based on projections of dominate strains in the Southern Hemisphere. Some years the match is off and occasionally requires a mid season reformulation.

Old 12-19-2021, 07:14 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Other than last year when we were social distancing and wearing masks, doesn't this story 'flu shot may not work' break every year.

Old 12-19-2021, 07:14 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The shot is reformulated each year based on projections of dominate strains in the Southern Hemisphere. Some years the match is off and occasionally requires a mid season reformulation.
I think everyone on earth knows that by now. This year appears to one of those years. New covid fears might keep flu in check again, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies