Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2021, 05:47 PM

10,085 posts, read 7,761,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post

You know that had to have hurt. If I was considering going over that wall and had seen that video first, I'd have to reconsider if a good idea. Thanks for posting that.

I just got through reading all the comments under the youtube video that I posted in the first post. It does my heart good to read all the comments. So many behind Abbott and singing his praises. It's good to see. So many support what he is doing.

What would really be nice to see is all these Americans going down to the border to offer their help to get this done as quick as possible.

Last edited by diddlydudette; 12-18-2021 at 06:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2021, 07:53 PM

1,344 posts, read 473,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I have to laugh at these pro-illegals who claim that the early settlers (white people) invaded Amerindian land when there actually were no immigration laws back then and try to justify illegal immigration into our country today with that long ago past. Are they unaware that the ancestors of most of these illegals were also white Spaniards who came over at that time to? Does the term "Spanish Conquestadors" ring a bell?
True. Unless they're coming from some place like Brazil, Guyana, or Haiti.

I'm not an anthropologist but I know that some of the larger and more prosperous civilisations in pre Colombian America like the Aztecs did have a codified system of law. Admittedly I think the parts related to international conduct had to do mostly with commerce, conquering land for tribute, and acquiring captives for human sacrifice. Nothing specific about immigration. Heck! The term "immigration" didn't even come about until the 17th century so it's no surprise.

My opinion is that they should try a country where they could more easily assimilate such as the previously mentioned Panama, assuming they're refugees to begin with. Economically they're not too bad either which we know is the primary reason. Panama does better than a good number of eastern and southern European countries.

Old 12-18-2021, 08:58 PM

62,930 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pryvete View Post
True. Unless they're coming from some place like Brazil, Guyana, or Haiti.

I'm not an anthropologist but I know that some of the larger and more prosperous civilisations in pre Colombian America like the Aztecs did have a codified system of law. Admittedly I think the parts related to international conduct had to do mostly with commerce, conquering land for tribute, and acquiring captives for human sacrifice. Nothing specific about immigration. Heck! The term "immigration" didn't even come about until the 17th century so it's no surprise.

My opinion is that they should try a country where they could more easily assimilate such as the previously mentioned Panama, assuming they're refugees to begin with. Economically they're not too bad either which we know is the primary reason. Panama does better than a good number of eastern and southern European countries.
Mexico has safe places to and many of these asylum seekers were offered jobs there but then they don't have the freebies and handouts like we do so they turned it down. Last I heard when seeking asylum you're supposed to accept asylum in the first safe country you enter and offers it. They speak their language and have similar cultures to.

As for illegal aliens we don't need all of these unskilled, uneducated and poor people. They are a burden to our society and must be deported as our laws state and most of all secure our border so that they can't get in here in the first place.

Old 12-18-2021, 10:12 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,307,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Not every expert agrees. Not even every border control admin agrees.
https://cis.org/Bensman/Border-Patro...struction-Halt
https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/01/03/walls-dont-work/
https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...t-work-782449/
https://ced.berkeley.edu/events-medi...meritus-michae
https://www.texastribune.org/2021/07/02/texas-bortuote experts that say the border wall is a waste of money.

So Abbott will build that wall and we will see.
Our two theories will be played out.
No I do not believe that poster knows more than me and I do not believe his experts are so much smarter or more legit than the experts I have quoted.
Link 1: CIS.org. Border agent quoted said "walls work, and I don't know why people say it doesn't"
Link 2: a Chinese & Asian history professor
Link 3: Rolling Stone
Link 4: A link from a Cal Berkeley professor from early 2017.
Link 5: broken link

Old 12-18-2021, 11:01 PM

929 posts, read 399,184 times
Would it be cheaper just to put 3 million volts electric fence with a huge flashing sign that says *funk you illegals*?

Old 12-19-2021, 01:17 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tex...-election-poll
The poll indicates that 50% of Texan voters support Abbott’s proposal, with 46% opposed. As expected, there’s a huge partisan divide, with 89% of Republicans supporting the governor’s push and 83% of Democrats opposed.

Old 12-19-2021, 04:05 AM

23,972 posts, read 15,075,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tex...-election-poll
The poll indicates that 50% of Texan voters support Abbott’s proposal, with 46% opposed. As expected, there’s a huge partisan divide, with 89% of Republicans supporting the governor’s push and 83% of Democrats opposed.
Too bad there is no poll that shows the number of Texans who patronize known employers who use large numbers of illegals.

Several Houston companies have been fined well over a million dollars for employing illegals. Those businesses are well known and very successful.

Old 12-19-2021, 06:01 AM

37,183 posts, read 19,189,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qbv2hB8jjk

Perhaps when Trump gets in office he can reimburse Texas for the state doing the federal government's job? Maybe no because it's on the states land?

Anyway, I'm so happy this is getting done. This is what Joey should have done but we all know Joey is useless and a failure at protecting the country. Thank goodness Abbott is looking out after his people and the rest of the US. Thanks to the private land owners for donating their land.

With Joey in office 3 more years, someone needed to do something.
I would imagine that Mexico is delighted there will finally be something to keep all the unvaccinated Texans carrying guns on their own side of the border.

The problem is, walls don't work. You can go over, under, around, and through them. This is nothing but an expensive feel good measure to pander to the Trump base. The money would be better spent getting Texas on the Western Interconnection so they don't have to rely on Cancun Cruz in case of a weather emergency.

Old 12-19-2021, 06:18 AM

35,688 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pryvete View Post
Additional measures could be taken to supplementing the wall. Barbed wire, gulch construction, Active Denial System deployments to deter trespassers, Long Range Acoustic Devices, and others. You could deploy over 1200 soldiers and you would have roughly one for each mile of the Texas/Mexico border. Obviously such an undermanned approach in all terrain wouldn't be carried out but the ability to do so is there which is the point.
You paying ? Because people get in just in other areas. I can tell you most illegals here are overstays and those that come from the Canadian borders. But you don’t want facts.

Old 12-19-2021, 06:26 AM

25,842 posts, read 16,521,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
You paying ? Because people get in just in other areas. I can tell you most illegals here are overstays and those that come from the Canadian borders. But you don’t want facts.
If I did drugs I would ask for some of what you’re smoking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies