Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2021, 09:58 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,774,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
Yea, they sure are. They are just going to get crumbs. I wonder what the salaries, benefits and pensions for 87K new IRS agents will cost taxpayers.
I was wondering the same thing. Glad you said it.

All part of the Dems creating thousands of new jobs and all as useful as teats on a boar hog.

People still swallow hook, line and stinker their running campaign promise of "gonna make them rich people pay their fair share by gawd, make them pay through the nose we are"! Catering to those people who have no incentive to help themselves, you know the ones that just want to lay back, not worry their minds or overly exert themselves physically and let big brother (meaning the rest of us whose taxes keep going up to support them and their kids) help them with their needs. The democrats like Biden and the rest of them are rich and they are not going to endanger their money. They have 'their people' who know how to work the system and find every loophole (and if they can't find one, they'll make one) so none of these enticing promises they make to the dummies out there voting for them come back to bite them in the ass. But the dummies never wise up and the game continues.

Taxes are always increased on everything when the Dems are in control. Someone has to pay for their bribes for votes and it's always the middle class.

This slick tactic is just another way to drive honest people crazier than they have always driven us. Another example of putting a lock on to keep the honest people out. The government knows the bulk of this new revenue will be crumbs but they also know they're going to sweep in a lot of crumbs, I mean a lot and those add up. They know most people will not keep receipts on things from years past, do not want to bother with the extra paperwork involved when filing an already confusing (with too many forms) tax return and will just say to hell with it, it's only xxx dollars more, just pay it so we don't draw attention and get audited.

Old 12-21-2021, 10:17 AM

25,749 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
You put the 1099 on your return, then mark the amounts received as an offset. If an explanation is required, it's "reimbursement for family cell phone plan".
More pointless red tape. One thing Trump stated but never delivered upon was a "tax return that can be filled out on a postcard." That's what needs to happen, but did not happen. If the IRS wants a mountain of paperwork submitted every year that only a tax lawyer can understand, THEY can waste their time filling out all that bullchit. But it should not be that way in the first place--it SHOULD entail about a postcard's worth of text, if even that.

Old 12-21-2021, 10:21 AM

6,029 posts, read 2,849,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
More pointless red tape.
Not to mention, the presumption of guilt until you prove yourself innocent.

Old 12-21-2021, 10:25 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,613,883 times
As an online seller, I know that the "dems" didn't create this rule, it's been in the works for about 5 years, so give it up those of you who have a political agenda against "the dems!" In online selling communities we have been talking about this upcoming change for YEARS.
This is simply government doing what government does best--taxing people. It's not a red/blue issue.

Old 12-21-2021, 10:30 AM

15,439 posts, read 7,497,910 times
Quote:
More pointless red tape. One thing Trump stated but never delivered upon was a "tax return that can be filled out on a postcard." That's what needs to happen, but did not happen. If the IRS wants a mountain of paperwork submitted every year that only a tax lawyer can understand, THEY can waste their time filling out all that bullchit. But it should not be that way in the first place--it SHOULD entail about a postcard's worth of text, if even that.
The IRS won't ask for paperwork unless you get audited. With electronic filing, I don' teven have to attach W-2 copies.

The current tax forms are equivalent to a post card unless you have a lot of deductions or are a sole proprietor of a business and have to fill out the schedule for that.

Old 12-21-2021, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
As an online seller, I know that the "dems" didn't create this rule, it's been in the works for about 5 years, so give it up those of you who have a political agenda against "the dems!" In online selling communities we have been talking about this upcoming change for YEARS.
This is simply government doing what government does best--taxing people. It's not a red/blue issue.
I doubt most people here are concerned with an "online seller" (as in a business) being taxed. We would all expect that, right or wrong. What most people are pizzed about (including me) is that I am going to have to report a sold sofa or barstool as "income" unless I submit a bunch of pointless paperwork to "prove" that the sold barstool wasn't me trying to cheat the IRS out of a couple pennies. The morons are stupid enough to spend millions to wring a couple bucks out of someone selling a sofa that has been collecting dust in the basement for a decade... well, that is unless the serfs want to submit a bunch of tax mumbo jumbo XXXX forms to prove themselves innocent.

Plain STUPIDITY. But would anyone expect anything different from a dysfunctional government such as ours?

Old 12-21-2021, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The IRS won't ask for paperwork unless you get audited. With electronic filing, I don' teven have to attach W-2 copies.

The current tax forms are equivalent to a post card unless you have a lot of deductions or are a sole proprietor of a business and have to fill out the schedule for that.
Could you post an image of that "post card" tax form? I'd love to see it. I mean a modern one, not something from 1868.

Old 12-21-2021, 10:54 AM

13,744 posts, read 8,004,726 times
O.k. so my renter sends me $1800 each month using Zelle.

Starting Jan 1st...what? They fill out a 1009k at the end of the year and include it on their 2022 tax return? And I do the same?

If so, this means I need to give my tenant my SS#

Old 12-21-2021, 11:59 AM

13,744 posts, read 8,004,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
No paypal will when it hits the $600 threshold.
I guess this will be the same for Zelle. Therefore my renter won't need my SS# correct?

Renters paid $1800 each month into my BOA business account vie Zelle.

I assume Zelle will send me a 1099k at the end of Jan. 2023

But if I don't receive a 1099k from Zelle for rent received the previous year... then what?

Last edited by john3232; 12-21-2021 at 12:20 PM..

Old 12-21-2021, 12:21 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,613,883 times
Quote:
I doubt most people here are concerned with an "online seller" (as in a business) being taxed. We would all expect that, right or wrong. What most people are pizzed about (including me) is that I am going to have to report a sold sofa or barstool as "income" unless I submit a bunch of pointless paperwork to "prove" that the sold barstool wasn't me trying to cheat the IRS out of a couple pennies. The morons are stupid enough to spend millions to wring a couple bucks out of someone selling a sofa that has been collecting dust in the basement for a decade... well, that is unless the serfs want to submit a bunch of tax mumbo jumbo XXXX forms to prove themselves innocent.

Plain STUPIDITY. But would anyone expect anything different from a dysfunctional government such as ours?
Well, that sofa has to be sold for over $600. It is a low threshhold, $600, I concur, but 20k was also very high, and many sellers such on ebay/amazon/etc had several accounts on several different platforms, so it was far more than that, and was tax evasion. Some could have been making over 100k a year. Completely earning 6 figures outside the tax laws.

The laws have been such that actually, all along, ordinary citizens selling their personal belongings at a garage sale were supposed to also list sales over $600. Not that anybody does, well ok, maybe 1% of people are that law conscience and ruled by honesty so as to claim that on their taxes. But being real here, 99% would say forget that, I already paid taxes when I bought it, and incorrectly claim double taxation. It's an argument, but it's not a valid law argument as the law currently stands.

Basically online selling took off over the last 20 years since the creation of ebay and amazon. Billions upon billions of sales that were not taxed. The IRS wasn't going to miss out on that forever. As for your barstool/sofa single sale, a printout of the sale stapled to your 1099 is not "bunches of paperwork", although annoying, I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies