Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2021, 12:43 PM

15,432 posts, read 7,487,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I doubt most people here are concerned with an "online seller" (as in a business) being taxed. We would all expect that, right or wrong. What most people are pizzed about (including me) is that I am going to have to report a sold sofa or barstool as "income" unless I submit a bunch of pointless paperwork to "prove" that the sold barstool wasn't me trying to cheat the IRS out of a couple pennies. The morons are stupid enough to spend millions to wring a couple bucks out of someone selling a sofa that has been collecting dust in the basement for a decade... well, that is unless the serfs want to submit a bunch of tax mumbo jumbo XXXX forms to prove themselves innocent.

Plain STUPIDITY. But would anyone expect anything different from a dysfunctional government such as ours?
You do not have to submit paperwork unless you get audited. What isn't clear about that? You never submit supporting paperwork on your returns in any case.

Old 12-21-2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Could you post an image of that "post card" tax form? I'd love to see it. I mean a modern one, not something from 1868.
You can get one from the IRS site. My return last year took me 15 minutes. And, I said equivalent to a post card. It's just not that hard.

Old 12-21-2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
O.k. so my renter sends me $1800 each month using Zelle.

Starting Jan 1st...what? They fill out a 1009k at the end of the year and include it on their 2022 tax return? And I do the same?

If so, this means I need to give my tenant my SS#
Zelle will send you the 1099. BOA already has your SS#

Old 12-21-2021, 01:03 PM

13,733 posts, read 7,992,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Zelle will send you the 1099. BOA already has your SS#
So, it's no different from the 1099 I recieve from BOA regarding interested earned on CDs.

Except Zelle will be sending the 1099k with regards to funds received..

If I don't receive a 1009k from Zelle. Do I assume this has something to do with the way the tenant sends me the rent?

But I don't need to question my renter do I?

How they send the money is their business. All I need to concern myself with is reporting it on my end.

Last edited by john3232; 12-21-2021 at 01:24 PM..

Old 12-21-2021, 01:16 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,860,123 times
Every billionaire on earth has declared $1,000,000 less income than earned... regularly. They only get caught after cheating $10,000,000 plus. Then the lawyers help out and no prison.

Quote:
Cheat big or cheat not.

-- Donald J. Trump.

Old 12-21-2021, 03:11 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,671 times
Default this

Donald Trump said sure he takes advantage of every loophole available to pay as little taxes as possible. I say Go, Trump! When asked why, at least he was polite enough to say he didn't like the way the government spent the tax dollars. Again, Go Trump!

Anyone who is not dead from the neck up does the same if they can. If they don't, well they are dead from the neck up and therefore a complete blooming idiot.

I do not pay a penny more than I have to in taxes even though yes it involves more time with more paperwork to be done. I also don't approve of the government's handling of this easy windfall for them and I've said this for years - long before I heard Trump say it. But it did do my heart good to hear it from someone who had the platform to say it where millions could hear it said. Go Trump!

Old 12-21-2021, 03:26 PM

265 posts, read 150,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
It's $600 because they are after the mom and pops
nooo $600 transactions means you are in the 1%. you deserve to pay your fair share

Old 12-21-2021, 03:26 PM

635 posts, read 1,165,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
Not hard? Ok. Starting Jan 1st when you sell your personal items at a loss you are going to have to fill out tax forms like any business would even though you DON'T run a business. Keep detailed records too in case you get audited. Yep, easy peasy.

Not taxable, but I looked it up (below) and the IRS has never required that you even report sales of personal items sold at a loss. Now any items totaling $600 over an entire year will generate a 1099-K and will need reported. People can argue, but this is still a HUGE change. It will get interesting next year when people get surprised with these forms.

Oh its a disaster and the GOP should campaign on it next year.

Old 12-21-2021, 04:36 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
It's not that dang hard.
Neither is abstract algebra and real analysis. If you want to sit down and learn the stuff. That's not the point, easy or not. You should not be required to do such nonsense. There is absolutely NO reason that anyone should be having to fill out a tax form because they sold an old couch or guitar that had been in the basement for ten years. I understand that such would probably (note, I said "probably") not be charged as income. That is not the problem. The problem is having to do ANYTHING as far as tax reporting and filling out a bunch of lame forms for nothing. I don't work for nothing. My time is valuable to me and it infuriates me to tears when I'm told I have to jump through a bunch of hoops for NOTHING. How about if I charge the IRS for my wasted time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
Not hard? Ok. Starting Jan 1st when you sell your personal items at a loss you are going to have to fill out tax forms like any business would even though you DON'T run a business. Keep detailed records too in case you get audited. Yep, easy peasy.

Not taxable, but I looked it up (below) and the IRS has never required that you even report sales of personal items sold at a loss. Now any items totaling $600 over an entire year will generate a 1099-K and will need reported. People can argue, but this is still a HUGE change. It will get interesting next year when people get surprised with these forms.

Income resulting from auctions akin to an occasional garage or yard sale is generally
not required to be reported. However, there may be exceptions. If an online garage sale
turns into a business with recurring sales and purchasing of items for resale, it may be
considered an online auction business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
Oh its a disaster and the GOP should campaign on it next year.
It's ridiculous.

The residents of the North American British Colonies revolted and fought a revolution over far less bullchit than we put up with now. Far less. Filling out another useless form that serves no useful purpose other than spying on the citizenry (and possible bilking a few more bucks from his or her wallet to pay to support druggie thugs who won't work, other than looting Walgreens) is one step closer to a reasonable person's breaking point.

Old 12-21-2021, 05:06 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,984,385 times
Since the mid 2000’s I have bought vinyl records from other sellers online using PayPal. I paid for those items with my wages that were already taxed. If I decide to sell them online using PayPal I have to pay taxes on what I get for those records I sold? That means I’m getting taxed twice!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies