Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2021, 10:18 AM

10,443 posts, read 4,030,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Doubt it. If the Left has shown anything, it is that they do not learn from their mistakes but instead double down on it.
Oh, you have no idea.

I used to have a close relationship with a cousin of mine. We were big fans of the superhero genre and movies in general. But the past few years she's been getting distant and weird. She didn't talk to me for a good year when she found out about me voting for Trump, but she eventually got over it. We were supposed to go see Spider-Man NWH, but she kept on making excuses. First, she couldn't find no seats opening weekend. I found some, but then she wants to be the one to buy them, but then she tells me she's broke and that she doesn't want me to pay for them. Whatever. I then get a call from some friends who had gotten tickets early on for Thursday night and one of their friends bailed and asked if I wanted to come. Hell yeah, so I went. The next day, I told my cousin I had already gone and want to know when she wants to go see it. She got so ticked with me. Almost like she wanted to kill me. She started ranting on how she wanted to see it together with me for the first time and I was selfish because I chose my friends over her and she is going to see it by herself and I can go to hell. Mind you, she's been in and out of trouble with the law and financially for a good 20 years and I've always been the one to bail her out and get her back on her feet. She blocked my calls so then I called her brother and sister and her brother tells me the only reason why she is pissed and holding off on going to see the movie is because she has gone full on radical left and doesn't want to contribute to Spider-Man's opening weekend box office because she is supposed to be against incels or whatever the hell that mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2021, 10:18 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
So, the latest Spider-Man movie came out and it was just a good, straight forward movie for the fans of Spider-Man. No forced agendas, no female empowerment or blatant race swapping. It was just a good movie meant for the fans who made the property popular to begin with. And it's a box office smash...... Amazing what a movie can do without forced woke agendas or virtual signaling.
You have never read a Spiderman Comicbook or seen the other 2 Spiderman franchises.

MJ is a white red head, not mixed race brown haired girl. Flash Thompson is a buff white dude, not a brown skinned Guatamalan . Ned is also white in the comics, although his character is also a villain, so it is what it is there.

You just didnt notice the "wokeness"

Old 12-19-2021, 10:19 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
I haven't seen one of those Marvel/Cartoon movies yet. If these are the ones shattering box office records, that says are far hollywood has fallen. brainless, "blow the world" up CGI movies get old after a while. Where are the Godfathers, Taxi Drivers, Scarfaces anymore?

Old 12-19-2021, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You have never read a Spiderman Comicbook or seen the other 2 Spiderman franchises.

MJ is a white red head, not mixed race brown haired girl. Flash Thompson is a buff white dude, not a brown skinned Guatamalan . Ned is also white in the comics, although his character is also a villain, so it is what it is there.

You just didnt notice the "wokeness"
Oh, I did indeed watch all of those, but they weren't in your face, and MJ in Tom Holland's movie was not Mary Jane!

Old 12-19-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
I haven't seen one of those Marvel/Cartoon movies yet. If these are the ones shattering box office records, that says are far hollywood has fallen. brainless, "blow the world" up CGI movies get old after a while. Where are the Godfathers, Taxi Drivers, Scarfaces anymore?
Oh, I hated those movies to be honest. I can't stand mafia crap.

Old 12-19-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Exactly. Will Smith became the biggest movie star for a long time. Had nothing to do with his race or some agenda. It was because he was being himself and people liked it. He did roles that people could relate to and cheer on. Heck, he became my favorite when he did the movie Enemy of the State because that movie is right up my ally in my belief system. Then he started to become woke and when you do this, you inherently insult your fan base. Funny though, Denzel Washington is still churning out films and very well respected because he did not stray from what made him a favorite. No insults, no agendas. He just wants to make good movies and he tries to stay away from the politics.
I not really sure how you think Will Smith is "woke", he actually doesnt talk about politics as far as I know. I think he made a couple of films that were just not great, and didnt really pursue the next great film to get back on track and just started living his life with all his adventure videos on social media.

As for Denzel You have never seen Remember the Titans ?????

I think I need to ask the question; What makes a movie woke ?

Old 12-19-2021, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I not really sure how you think Will Smith is "woke", he actually doesnt talk about politics as far as I know. I think he made a couple of films that were just not great, and didnt really pursue the next great film to get back on track and just started living his life with all his adventure videos on social media.

As for Denzel You have never seen Remember the Titans ?????

I think I need to ask the question; What makes a movie woke ?
That's not woke either. Woke is all of Disney's current Star Wars theatrical line up or their MCU on Disney + where they are taking all the male characters and turning them into females or shoving a gay story when there never was one or taking a once major character that was white and turning them into another race and then try to pat themselves on their back that they are diverse. It's one thing to cast a black actor that was originally a white role because you want to check off some identity politics and then it's something else entirely when it works organically like Denzel Washington in The Magnificent Seven that comes to mind. It was good, not insulting or betrayal of the source material in any way. But then you got the female Doctor Who, and it's just not quite working out. Now that is woke.

Old 12-19-2021, 10:52 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,425,885 times
First good MCU film. I hated all the rest but this was pretty good.

Old 12-19-2021, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Oh, I did indeed watch all of those, but they weren't in your face, and MJ in Tom Holland's movie was not Mary Jane!
This is why in the other post, I asked you to explain what you meant by "woke"

Because what you really seem to be arguing is that this movie is detached from things like racism. Thats a good thing, but it is also woke. Literally showing you what a world looks like when we actually treat people of color equally in every facet of life.

also the writer for Spiderman says she is indeed MJ, just a reimagining that is Michelle Jones Watson instead of Mary Jane Watson.

Old 12-19-2021, 10:58 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,491,307 times
Movie investors want safe scripts to make profit. Every possible superhero retread and reboot that might have a buck left in it will get some notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies