Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2021, 08:10 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,807,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It'd be helpful to see a source for this.
2.2% is the commonly accepted net profit margin for the big 3, Kroger, Publix and Albertsons brands/ subs. It’s all about local competition or lack thereof.

Then there’s Walmart, Sam’s, Costco, Target, Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, Aldi’s, CVS, Walgreens , 7-11 and endless private/ localized grocer brands. Big Box does not break out grocery vs other net profits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2021, 08:14 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,241,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
if you add up all the engineers not just APPL.but all in Silicon Valley and Auston and the rest of the country,their salary and stock options sure surpass the grocery store clerks,and if not now,would be soon as self checkout picks up steam.
At our local Kroger,I see more and more people use self checkout .
Service jobs always outnumber technical jobs like engineers by a large margin. Even with lower salaries, the aggregate pay companies have to pay for their service employees will always be higher than the aggregate pay for the engineering jobs.

Old 12-19-2021, 08:18 AM

25,857 posts, read 16,560,676 times
Will they re-elect this idiot? Answer-yes.

Old 12-19-2021, 08:19 AM

45,251 posts, read 26,502,350 times
No way it could be the profligate spending of the last 18 months.

Old 12-19-2021, 08:20 AM

78,547 posts, read 60,749,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
2.2% is the commonly accepted net profit margin for the big 3, Kroger, Publix and Albertsons brands/ subs. It’s all about local competition or lack thereof.

Then there’s Walmart, Sam’s, Costco, Target, Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, Aldi’s, CVS, Walgreens , 7-11 and endless private/ localized grocer brands. Big Box does not break out grocery vs other net profits.
No, I meant the source for Warren. Low margins at grocery stores is long established old news.

We have had numerous, numerous posts here where the writer of an article someone read or created themselves isn't quite what the person said and that goes for both the left and the right.

As such, it would be nice to have a source to their actual comments because frankly it's foolish to trust half the stuff written on this forum.

Old 12-19-2021, 08:29 AM

45,494 posts, read 60,718,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
No, I meant the source for Warren. Low margins at grocery stores is long established old news.

We have had numerous, numerous posts here where the writer of an article someone read or created themselves isn't quite what the person said and that goes for both the left and the right.

As such, it would be nice to have a source to their actual comments because frankly it's foolish to trust half the stuff written on this forum.
Food:

https://www.warren.senate.gov/newsro...f-thanksgiving

https://twitter.com/SenWarren/status...21414692257792

Cars:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/16/busin...age/index.html

https://theparadise.ng/elizabeth-war...gh-car-prices/

Old 12-19-2021, 08:30 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,959,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenRider View Post
I'd like to see her discuss it with restaurant owners. I noticed one quoted in an AP article saying her ingredient costs rose between 15% and 40% this year.

“The margins on food are never going to be astronomical, even in good times,” she said. “But paying 40% more for protein? I can’t pass that along to the customer.”
My son is a restaurant owner. Costs of food have skyrocketed, but menu prices can't increase to cover the higher prices, so profits are down. It has been a nightmare for restaurant owners with labor shortages, higher food/paper product prices and availability issues. I'm not sure how much longer he'll be able to keep his head above water.

Old 12-19-2021, 08:31 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,637,187 times
Im not seeing food prices increase in my area. I was at Kroger last night, prices are the same as they have been.

I also eat out 5 days a week, prices are the same as they have been.

Old 12-19-2021, 08:41 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,453,757 times
LOL. When producers don't destroy their businesses to put a positive spin on toxic leftist policies, the left labels them greedy. You can't make this stuff up. Hilarious.

Old 12-19-2021, 08:43 AM

4,667 posts, read 1,961,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im not seeing food prices increase in my area. I was at Kroger last night, prices are the same as they have been.

I also eat out 5 days a week, prices are the same as they have been.
All evidence and the experience of many hundreds of thousands of people differ. Perhaps you should consider the fact that a person, such as yourself, who is wealthy enough to eat out "5 days a week" might not notice if a product as gone up from 2.25 to 2.50 in the last few months. It's only a few pennies after all but in reality it is ten percent. and all those pennies add up and if you have good income you don't notice those added up pennies but for a lot of people who were always just scrapping by it makes a big difference. Hungry people are dangerous people and thats a fact that has existed since the beginning. And anybody who tells themselves that can't happen here are fools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies