Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2021, 07:51 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times

Advertisements

There are multiple platforms for social media and they are all very different and have different target audiences. I think it is simplistic to make general statements without considering that.

Back in the 70's there was much talk about how women's magazines negatively impacted the self image of young girls. It was a big concern at the time...now it is social media/Instagram being blamed for the poor self image issues.

So my feelings are that -- yes like print media, movies, tv shows, unrealistic images of what life may negatively impact the mindset of those already struggling.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2021, 08:20 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Quite the opposite, I believe. I find the older generation to be incredibly gullible. The FoxNews crowd believes everything they hear on right-wing TV and right-wing social media without question. The CNN crowd the same on the other side. I think the younger generation, having grown up with social media, are far more savvy about the lack of objectivity.
Check out Reddit politics some time.

Old 12-20-2021, 08:33 AM

3,647 posts, read 1,601,831 times
Social media may cause some mental health issues but it's not the main cause. There has always been mental health problems in every decade.

However, SM does not seem to decrease isolation seems to actually increase it. Which is ironic because you are in touch digitally. It just depends on the digital connection you are having. A simple text message can cause emotional distress if the intent isn't clear. Why didn't they text back?

Even with social media at their finger tips the isolation of lock downs from the pandemic caused a 51% increase in teenage suicide attempts yahoonews

Why didn't teens use SM to connect and support each other during the lock downs, when they felt most isolated and disparaged? I think they tried to connect. Social media was simply insufficient.

People have had to deal with major society issues in every decade. Imagine it's the 40's and watching news reels report on WWII. Then you might get drafted. Will there be support for veterans after the war?

Where do you find sanctuary when the world around you is falling apart? The 60's- civil rights. The 30's- depression. Now civil rights is back with a new slant- CRT. Add a pandemic in the mix. SM is not going to solve these issues.

Old 12-20-2021, 01:32 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerlyinFlorida View Post
Not at all. The overreliance in computers is the problem. If computers crash, everything crashes. People don't look at reality anymore. They look at LCD screens which tell them what reality is. It's a shame.
Oh yeah, it was much better when we relied on the abacus or the slide rule instead of calculators.

It's the over-reliance on cars. When they run out of gas, everything comes to a stop. Better when we had horse and buggy.

Old 12-20-2021, 01:39 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
Social media may cause some mental health issues but it's not the main cause. There has always been mental health problems in every decade.

However, SM does not seem to decrease isolation seems to actually increase it. Which is ironic because you are in touch digitally. It just depends on the digital connection you are having. A simple text message can cause emotional distress if the intent isn't clear. Why didn't they text back?

Even with social media at their finger tips the isolation of lock downs from the pandemic caused a 51% increase in teenage suicide attempts yahoonews

Why didn't teens use SM to connect and support each other during the lock downs, when they felt most isolated and disparaged? I think they tried to connect. Social media was simply insufficient.

People have had to deal with major society issues in every decade. Imagine it's the 40's and watching news reels report on WWII. Then you might get drafted. Will there be support for veterans after the war?

Where do you find sanctuary when the world around you is falling apart? The 60's- civil rights. The 30's- depression. Now civil rights is back with a new slant- CRT. Add a pandemic in the mix. SM is not going to solve these issues.
You're right about one thing - There has always been mental health problems in every decade.

I have felt sorry for teenagers and other young singles during the pandemic. I remember what it's like to be young - who wants to stay home with your parents? You want to be out with friends. And how do you go about dating during a lock down?

For me it's been the opposite, however. I have been working from home for 18 months now, and I love it. I feel just as connected to my work colleagues as ever, through virtual meetings and teleconferences. Meanwhile I get to spend more time with my family.

Old 12-20-2021, 02:41 PM

2,100 posts, read 1,046,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
It seems like more and more society revolves around a digital existence that intentionally or unintentionally makes life seem less fulfilling. However we are addicted like never before. We have to be connected for what seems like every waking moment…kids are connected from younger and younger ages which has shown to exacerbate mental health problems. The parents are constantly connected too and give their children unbridled access because they don’t want them left behind the technology curve or they find a screen is a good babysitter that keeps the kids quiet.

What if us becoming creatures that now live in a digital universe has unforeseen consequences? Could it pose more of a problem than global warming? It has only been about 15-20 years since humans really started integrating their lives with the digital world — could there be unforeseen consequences?
My answer is a definite NO. Anyone's mental health is NOT mankind's most pressing problem. Your screen time belongs to you. If you have a problem with FB or any other social media site that problem is yours and yours to handle yourself. If you are addicted to something like that, it is YOUR responsibility to get past that addiction, it is nobody's fault but yours. (I am referring to "people in general") Also, if a parent gives their kids too much time allowance on Social Media that is their problem to fix. Nobody else's.

All of this will have unforeseen consequences in the years to come, but still, it is happening now, and if we know better than to allow this then we need to do something about it.

I, myself, am not on FB nor have I ever been and I doubt seriously that I ever will be. My screen time average is about 50 minutes per day, and that includes all my banking, paying bills, looking up recipes, etc. I do a lot of tangible, productive things online, but I do not play on Social Media at all.

Certainly there will be some problems later, but I don't think it's going to be mankind's most pressing problem.

Global warming, abortion, and allowing aliens into our Country are the big ones. Nobody will really care about our mental health due to Social Media.

Old 12-20-2021, 04:43 PM

8,383 posts, read 4,367,951 times
Mankind is all encompassing. There are still large, remote populations around the world that barely have any utilities like running water and electricity. I doubt social media is much of a factor for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies