Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2021, 12:57 PM

831 posts, read 333,007 times

Advertisements

Okay, cool. I'll be an unvaccinated corpse. Survived one winter already and almost 2 years and I and EVERYONE in my family is perfectly fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2021, 12:58 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,545,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Thank you for your concern about my Christmas Eve. I think I can handle it.
The measures and precautions are voluntary. Only if people flat out refuse to comply should they be made compulsory. And, yes, the notion of quarantine and isolation is a proven method of managing the spread of disease. So are vaccinations.
you mean vaccinations that work, don't you? where are those unless you think its ok to get jabbed every couple of months.

Old 12-20-2021, 01:01 PM

984 posts, read 442,423 times
Here's the thing. The vast majority of the folks spending weeks in the hospital with covid are unvaxed. In some areas, it's gotten to the point where people are dying because there is no room for them at the hospital. The reason? The beds are filled with (unvaxed) covid patients.

https://www.businessinsider.com/er-d...tients-2021-12

Quote:
It's a problem playing out in spots around the country, as COVID-19 patients spend weeks, if not months, in their hospital beds.

While the average hospital patient might use a bed for two to five days, hospitalized COVID patients require at least a week or two of care, Dr. Nathalie Dougé, a traveling hospitalist who has worked in both New York City and Montana, said. Often, COVID stays can stretch far beyond that, topping well over a month in the ICU as the lungs and body recover from the viral illness.

"Getting those extra beds to help other people isn't happening," Dougé said.
I don't know what the answer is. I hate the thought of someone drowning in their own lung fluids at home because they refused a vaccination and there's no room at the hospital. On the other hand, I also hate the idea of all the hospital beds going to those who refused preventative care in the middle of a pandemic. At some point, we all need to accept the consequences of our own actions or inactions, and when the hospitals are turning away car accident victims and kids having asthma attacks because they're full of covid patients, then that might mean we're at that point.

Old 12-20-2021, 01:09 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonMB View Post
Here's the thing. The vast majority of the folks spending weeks in the hospital with covid are unvaxed. In some areas, it's gotten to the point where people are dying because there is no room for them at the hospital. The reason? The beds are filled with (unvaxed) covid patients.

https://www.businessinsider.com/er-d...tients-2021-12
Well, there will be a ton of lawsuits if that is true.

Were the hospital and hospital staff unprepared because they weren't aware there's pandemic?

Did they not see the hourly count of cases 24/7/365 for the last 2 years?

Did they not have a plan in place to ensure all patients received care in house, through other hospital partners, or temporary facilities ready to go to support the onslaught of patients?

After 2 years of this? Completely unprepared? Patients dying?

Yeah, no, doesn't fly. Lawsuits coming. Cha-thing.

Anyone who believes this crap, I have a couple of bridges for sale. They are great deals, located on swampland.

They cannot keep telling us everyone's going to end up in the hospital and then complain about how unprepared and overwhelmed they are when it happens.

Old 12-20-2021, 01:15 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
What is your definition of "little" that you're using in order to will into existence "regions that have little immunity" in the U.S.? I'm curious.
Good question and I doubt even Fauci has an answer. We did see in RSA that a 90% seroprevalence knocked down omicron faster than anyone expected (presuming that pattern continues). The US has maybe 80% but that is skewed toward the population centers and so-called blue counties. Some counties have less than 30% vaccination and have not seen a great deal of infection either. Cutting to the chase I would say there will be serious problems with hospital capacity and excess death anywhere seroprevalence is less than 70%. But that is a guess. When it is over we will analyze the data and maybe learn something of value for the next wave or the next pandemic.

Old 12-20-2021, 01:16 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Spoken like a true sore loser. There is nothing that Biden could do as president that would make you happy in your pouting immaturity.

So, I am fully vaxed and boostered and living as I please, but I still comply with state directives to mask indoors in public or commercial places. I was notified recently by the state DOH that I have been exposed for 15 minutes or more to a person who has COVID and directed to quarantine at home only if I am not fully vaxed. If fully vaxed I simply comply with normal masking directives, watch for symptoms, and get tested after five days. I have no symptoms and will get tested on Friday. If, in the unlikely event that I test positive, then I will need to isolate for a period of several days. This is not rocket science or some horrific hardship.

The DOH is simply notifying people whose cell phone was traced to be among those that were close to the infected person for 15 minutes or more in a 24-hour period. They have no idea if anyone is masked so they opt to be extra vigilant -- which is good. That is what they are supposed to do. And we are supposed to do what they tell us to do.

My county is almost 65% fully vaxed with 74% with one shot. If everyone was vaxed we would only be seeing mostly minor cases of breakthrough COVID.
ya know - if the quoted poster had given us some snarky nicknames or decried "authoritarian rules!", you might be accurate with "sore loser". But they didn't.

If you're fully vaxxed, and don't develop symptoms then guess what - you don't have Covid. Five days, fifteen days - doesn't matter. And so you'd have no need to take even 5 minutes from your day to "comply" with a nonsensical recommendation.

We are not "supposed to do what they tell us to do". We are expected to act like adults and take the known information they provide (which is lacking, because about all we know is "Anyone can get Covid but it's far worse for the old and infirmed") and make a personal decision that does not knowingly harm those around us.

If I don't have Covid, I cannot give you or anyone Covid.

Old 12-20-2021, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Well, there will be a ton of lawsuits if that is true.

Were the hospital and hospital staff unprepared because they weren't aware there's pandemic?

Did they not see the hourly count of cases 24/7/365 for the last 2 years?

Did they not have a plan in place to ensure all patients received care in house, through other hospital partners, or temporary facilities ready to go to support the onslaught of patients?

After 2 years of this? Completely unprepared? Patients dying?

Yeah, no, doesn't fly. Lawsuits coming. Cha-thing.

Anyone who believes this crap, I have a couple of bridges for sale. They are great deals, located on swampland.

They cannot keep telling us everyone's going to end up in the hospital and then complain about how unprepared and overwhelmed they are when it happens.
Did you read the article? There's a big surge there right now. And if they don't have staff, they don't have staff. Yes, there will probably be lawsuits. Have you really not read any stories of cases where people died because there were no rooms?

I will tell you that I had to take a kid with an asthma attack to the ER in September, when there was a big surge here. He was never seen in a room. We spent 8+ hours in the waiting room and that's where they saw him because there were no rooms available in the ER. Why? Because there weren't enough floor beds, and the people waiting to be admitted were in the ER. If you walk into the ER, they have to take you (eventually, when/if they have time), but if you go by ambulance, they don't. Ambulances are being diverted to other hospitals in these cases.

I'm kind of surprised you wouldn't believe these stories. What do you think happens when hospitals are full and there's not enough staff? They just magically conjure up some help? Healthcare, especially emergency healthcare, is a finite resource. We're in the midst of a pandemic. If there's not enough room, there's not enough room. People will die. That's all there is to it.

Old 12-20-2021, 01:19 PM

4,661 posts, read 4,977,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonMB View Post
Did you read the article? There's a big surge there right now. And if they don't have staff, they don't have staff. Yes, there will probably be lawsuits. Have you really not read any stories of cases where people died because there were no rooms?

I will tell you that I had to take a kid with an asthma attack to the ER in September, when there was a big surge here. He was never seen in a room. We spent 8+ hours in the waiting room and that's where they saw him because there were no rooms available in the ER. Why? Because there weren't enough floor beds, and the people waiting to be admitted were in the ER. If you walk into the ER, they have to take you (eventually, when/if they have time), but if you go by ambulance, they don't. Ambulances are being diverted to other hospitals in these cases.

I'm kind of surprised you wouldn't believe these stories. What do you think happens when hospitals are full and there's not enough staff? They just magically conjure up some help? Healthcare, especially emergency healthcare, is a finite resource. We're in the midst of a pandemic. If there's not enough room, there's not enough room. People will die. That's all there is to it.
Great, so why can't they build more capacity?

Old 12-20-2021, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Great, so why can't they build more capacity?
It's not a lack of physical room, it's a lack of staff. We had this issue even before the pandemic. We have major nursing shortages right now. You can go build more capacity, but if there's nobody to staff it, then what?

Old 12-20-2021, 01:22 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
If I don't have Covid, I cannot give you or anyone Covid.
You can have it and not know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies