Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2022, 11:02 PM

10,076 posts, read 5,695,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Meanwhile the IRS plans to hire 80,000 collectors to track the incomes of low income gig workers and folks using Ebay who earn over $600 a year. Forcing more people onto the govt dole.

Tax exempt status of these charlatan churches needs to be stopped. Virtually all these evangelist ministers are crooked.
I don't get it. IF the IRS goal is to get more tax money, why not go after the big fish? They will spend more money in resources going after struggling people than what they gain in tax. I had to give up selling on Ebay cuz of their crappy new law. Not worth the stress of dealing with confusing tax forms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2022, 06:37 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,464,865 times
The best way to stop these religious criminals, is getting the word out about how corrupt they are, if you can convince 100 people that they are complete crooks, thats 100 less people willing to give them money, plus the up and coming generations are not so easily fooled by this kind of thing, Every study I see, less and less people are part of organized religion...and want no part of it.

So, in all probability, these criminals are on borrowed time.

I watched an intervention type show years ago, this older lady kept giving money to this scam artist who was trying to pass himself off as the real deal...the most important thing I saw, was that she was the only person in her family that allowed herself to be duped like this, her children tried numerous times to talk her out of it...keeping this in mind, once that lady is gone, that family will no longer be giving money.

Old 01-02-2022, 06:42 AM

33,507 posts, read 18,023,556 times
The give me money and God will pay you back ten fold guys who use the word of God to enrich themselves. The LOVE of money is the root of all evil. it would be different is they lived humbly like Billy Graham and used the money to help others .

Old 01-02-2022, 06:53 AM

51,580 posts, read 25,565,487 times
Can someone explain why the rest of us are subsidizing these social centers?

Old 01-02-2022, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
You make a fair point. Perhaps the law needs to be changed to "exempt to the extent of non-profit activities provided". I don't know that we should be blanket exempting executive compensation, benefits and property.

Churches, mosques, synagogues, etc. do provide valuable services to various individuals.

There was some outrage here in NC a few years ago with the executive compensation of Goodwill industries. On the one hand you're providing job training on the cheap, but paying the executives, both husband and wife, north of one million per year. Pretty easy to do when your COGS is zero.

At some point, like everything, there has to be a smarter answer here.

But, alas, politicians rely on that religious vote so as you indicated, it fizzles out.
Indeed.

After deducting what they actually spend on charitable endeavors, the Salvation Army would likely owe very little, while the Catholic Church is sitting on billions in property and investments.

Other religions likely fall somewhere on that scale.

Why the rest of us are subsidizing their shenanigans is a mystery.

Old 01-02-2022, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
The best way to stop these religious criminals, is getting the word out about how corrupt they are, if you can convince 100 people that they are complete crooks, thats 100 less people willing to give them money, plus the up and coming generations are not so easily fooled by this kind of thing, Every study I see, less and less people are part of organized religion...and want no part of it.

So, in all probability, these criminals are on borrowed time.

I watched an intervention type show years ago, this older lady kept giving money to this scam artist who was trying to pass himself off as the real deal...the most important thing I saw, was that she was the only person in her family that allowed herself to be duped like this, her children tried numerous times to talk her out of it...keeping this in mind, once that lady is gone, that family will no longer be giving money.
Sadly, all too often they take advantage of the gullible elderly, convincing them to send countless checks to questionable endeavors.

An aunt sent money to Jim Bakker even after he was sent to prison.

A quick internet search revealed that he has established another "ministry," and is busy bilking the gullible elderly at this very moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies