Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2021, 08:48 AM

984 posts, read 442,423 times

Advertisements

What are luxuries?

New sheets? Enough towels? We've already established that cigarettes are a "need," apparently. A working computer? Printer paper? Crayons and markers for the kids? Internet? Any food other than rice and beans?

This article is poorly written and conveys no actual information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2021, 08:54 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Which is wholly irrelevant to the question of the tax analogy.

Not irrelevant at all.

We're talking about "poor" people in this thread, who supposedly can ill afford to be spending money on things like lottery tickets.

Old 12-21-2021, 08:55 AM

11,476 posts, read 6,002,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
While that is true, THIS is what happens to abusers at the high end... 70% of the wealthy lose their fortune by the second generation, and by the third generation that percentage has jumped to 90%.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/he...nes-2017-04-23

You don't appreciate it if you didn't earn it yourself. Easy money goes easy.

Old 12-21-2021, 08:59 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,582,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joylush View Post
Exactly. Plenty of highly educated people are terrible money managers. And then there are those of us who realize saving $10 a week and investing it in a low cost index fund in a tax free savings vehicle will grow to over $60,000 in 30 years and they take that route instead. Who wants to blow $10 a week for 30 years and be reminded you’re a loser 1,560 times. I’d rather enjoy watching my savings grow for my entertainment.
So, what you are saying is that you never spend anything on entertainment or a vacation or a nice dinner out when you could stay home and eat mac and cheese? Every dime you spend is on an absolute necessity? After all, $10 a week, blah, blah, blah.

p.s. I can cover your 60k

Old 12-21-2021, 08:59 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Everyone who feels this way, who wants to call the "working poor" "entitled", please read Hand to Mouth by Linda Tirado. It's a short book. Take you an afternoon to read.

In a society who feels entitled to the labor of the working poor, who expects constant service for below a living wage, who is "entitled". Entitled to their services, to their labor, to their very health and well-being, but don't think they deserve a living wage.

Slavery was outlawed over 150 years ago.

Employment is a voluntary arrangement.

Nobody "deserves" any type of wage simply because they have a heartbeat.

You negotiate for wages based on your skills and the labor market.

You get the most you can and if your employer won't pay you what you feel your worth, then you increase your skills or find another employer.

Preferably both.

Old 12-21-2021, 09:03 AM

11,476 posts, read 6,002,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
damn poor people.. how dare they want nice things.
This used to be an incentive.

It used to be that poor people would have an impetus to work hard or improve themselves so they too could have nice things. A few criminals simply stole them or were con men, but the vast majority learned from others that hard work and improving yourself would eventually get you nice things.

Where we went off the rails is, poor people have come to believe they simply DESERVE to have nice things, absence any impetus to work or improve. We now have many poor people who see others with nice things and then believe they deserve nice things too, without having to earn them.

"Because I exist, I DESERVE the nice things other people have."

It is an irrational mentality stoked by the woke who tell them they deserve nice things too.

I can play that game too.

I deserve a beachfront home. I deserve to be married to a supermodel. I deserve a cabin in the mountains and another at the ski resort. I deserve to drive a Ferrari. I deserve to own a cabin cruiser.

Same mentality.

Old 12-21-2021, 09:06 AM

1,952 posts, read 829,020 times
America has the richest poor people in the world.

Old 12-21-2021, 09:08 AM

984 posts, read 442,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Slavery was outlawed over150 years ago.

Employment is a voluntary arrangement.

Nobody "deserves" any type of wage simply because they have a heartbeat.

You negotiate for wages based on your skills and the labor market.

You get the most you can and if your employer won't pay you what you feel your worth, then you increase your skills or find another employer.

Preferably both.
Isn't that what people have done? And now there's tons of whining and crying over Burger Kings not being able to hire enough staff and mom and pop stores closing.

Our society depends on low-wage workers and starts to collapse without them. Be careful what you wish for.

Old 12-21-2021, 09:09 AM

43,100 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
America has the richest poor people in the world.
And that is why poor from all over the world are working their way here to cross our open borders.

The new American Dream....welfare programs.

Old 12-21-2021, 09:15 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,762 times
I guess it's a slow day if we're discussing a 4 year old article based on 7 year old data. But hey, 'preciate the link this time, since it's not current events!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies