Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2021, 06:59 PM

6,035 posts, read 2,852,224 times

Advertisements

https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...onopoly-525867

And should this happen, I would never purchase a new car. I am so tired of Big Tech sticking their noses in absolutely everything they can, all so they can extract all this data, as they admitted to in the article:

"The stakes are enormous. Tech companies and the automakers envision a future where riders can seamlessly blend work, play and chores, easily ordering groceries, scheduling work meetings or watching TV from the comfort of their cars. The data coming off those vehicles also could automatically update maps, notify city workers about potholes and tell brick-and-mortar retailers where customers travel from.

“The ride is no longer the point,” said Jim Heffner, a vice president at Cox Automotive Mobility who specializes in autonomous and connected vehicles. “Data is the cornerstone. … Apple and Google and others want to be at the epicenter of that.”

Why does a brick and mortar retailer need to know the location I travelled from? I've had it with modern technology. Ever since, around 2013, it all been about how they can extract the most data they can. I fear it can/will lead to a would-wide authoritarian state. God, I hope I'm wrong...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2021, 07:09 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,219,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...onopoly-525867

And should this happen, I would never purchase a new car. I am so tired of Big Tech sticking their noses in absolutely everything they can, all so they can extract all this data, as they admitted to in the article:

"The stakes are enormous. Tech companies and the automakers envision a future where riders can seamlessly blend work, play and chores, easily ordering groceries, scheduling work meetings or watching TV from the comfort of their cars. The data coming off those vehicles also could automatically update maps, notify city workers about potholes and tell brick-and-mortar retailers where customers travel from.

“The ride is no longer the point,” said Jim Heffner, a vice president at Cox Automotive Mobility who specializes in autonomous and connected vehicles. “Data is the cornerstone. … Apple and Google and others want to be at the epicenter of that.”

Why does a brick and mortar retailer need to know the location I travelled from? I've had it with modern technology. Ever since, around 2013, it all been about how they can extract the most data they can. I fear it can/will lead to a would-wide authoritarian state. God, I hope I'm wrong...
I agree. No thanks. Plus I maintain my vehicles, so I prefer something without too many electronics and that is easy to repair and maintain.

This data that these big tech companies collect is literally their bread and butter. Why do people think social media sites like FaceBook are free. They are collecting your data and selling it to companies to advertise crap to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies