Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What divides us the most in this country?
Politics 77 59.69%
Religion 1 0.78%
Race 13 10.08%
Social Class 18 13.95%
Something else 20 15.50%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2021, 01:56 AM

4,472 posts, read 3,822,968 times

Advertisements

What is the thing that divides us the most? Politics, race, social class, race, or something else?

I personally think politics is currently our biggest division in this country. There is so much of a tribe mentality these days when it comes to politics. I feel like with things like race or religion, you will be shunned by somebody with a different political view. For example, if you can be a Christian and a conservative but you might have a liberal in your church who hates you because you are a Republican, even though you both have your religion in common.

I feel like it wasn’t always this way. I feel like both Republicans and Democrats were more in the center 20 years ago, but now both parties are shifting further in opposite directions.

What do you think? And when do you think the shift happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2021, 02:51 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,544 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
What is the thing that divides us the most? Politics, race, social class, race, or something else?

I personally think politics is currently our biggest division in this country. There is so much of a tribe mentality these days when it comes to politics. I feel like with things like race or religion, you will be shunned by somebody with a different political view. For example, if you can be a Christian and a conservative but you might have a liberal in your church who hates you because you are a Republican, even though you both have your religion in common.

I feel like it wasn’t always this way. I feel like both Republicans and Democrats were more in the center 20 years ago, but now both parties are shifting further in opposite directions.

What do you think? And when do you think the shift happened?
Politics is informed by all those other things. So in a sense you are right, but also wrong.

You are more and more likely now to go to church with people who agree with you than disagree with you .

Catholic churches are the one example of being integrated racially and socially.

United Methodist Church are the best examples of the opposite. Methodist are split by race, social class, and geography,

A black Methodist church is going to be almost entirely Democratic no matter where it is, a white Methodist church in rural Texas is going to be mostly Republican, but a white one in Greater Austin is going to be liberal, but any church that enforces membership fees( rich churches) will be conservative.

The biggest divide is person philosophy, which is sad, because sometimes we really do want the same things, but the argument is over how to get there, rather than the end result.

Old 12-26-2021, 03:04 AM

7,333 posts, read 3,514,319 times
in my opinion it is social class and age group

political divisions are a cable news msm and internet phenomenon. in real life, Republicans and Democrats can get along while having different opinions. yes our government pretends to be divided but really it is social class. the wealthy people who you elect vs us, the peons. the wealthy people pull our strings. they tell us they care about what we care about as we cheer then on, elect them for a lifetime and our lives continue to become more restrictive and government gets larger. its why we are told about systemic racism by the same people whi have been part of the same system for decades. just give them more power, then everything will be perfect.

we debate the issues here, but we are fed the issues by our overlords and their agenda goes forward while we think voting for a certain party changes our fate.

Old 12-26-2021, 03:07 AM

866 posts, read 319,521 times
For me it's values. It's tough to pin down because all of the things you put in your poll are interconnected.

I feel disconnected from people who don't think they need to work for their place in life and who don't respect those who do. I don't care about your race or sexuality or religion, just be willing to take responsibility for yourself and don't expect to live at the expense of others.

Old 12-26-2021, 03:16 AM

9,971 posts, read 5,669,596 times
For a while it was race and religion. Religious differences started to matter less but race was still a major sticking point.

Then the civil rights era came and significantly diminished race as a dividing issue, so class became the next dividing point as we transitioned from an industrial economy into an information economy. But then the class warriors gained control of the institutions of financial power and suddenly they weren't as interested in scrutinizing class divisions, so it was turned back to race, culminating in the 2020 riots with pretty much all the centers of institutional power providing moral, political, and financial cover for the race agitators and their foot soldiers.

But that's been supplanted, at least temporarily anyway, by the Covid Cult versus those who have grown tired of trotting on the never-ending "just do this one last thing and we can all get back to normal" hamster wheel.

The Famous SNL "Black Jeopardy" skit circa 2016 with Tom Hanks as a MAGA voter illustrates all too perfectly why the 2020 riots were stoked so vigorously: the proles were getting a little too close to recognizing their common interests and uniting against the ruling class, so that wedge had to hammered back into place, and hard:

Last edited by Bitey; 12-26-2021 at 03:30 AM..

Old 12-26-2021, 04:05 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,013,844 times
Education.

Old 12-26-2021, 05:02 AM

4,898 posts, read 2,052,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Education.
I would agree with “education,” to a point since simple minded people are easily twisted up with misinformation, disinformation and straight out lies by the media and big tech.

Honestly, you do not need a college degree to be “educated” since I supervised plenty of highly educated idiots with impressive college degrees who were dumb as a rock. Part of being “educated” is having the ability to keep an open mind to both sides of an issue AND seeking out the truth, for yourself, by looking into the issue to see if what’s being said is actually correct.

Old 12-26-2021, 05:12 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,573,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
I would agree with “education,” to a point since simple minded people are easily twisted up with misinformation, disinformation and straight out lies by the media and big tech.

Honestly, you do not need a college degree to be “educated” since I supervised plenty of highly educated idiots with impressive college degrees who were dumb as a rock. Part of being “educated” is having the ability to keep an open mind to both sides of an issue AND seeking out the truth, for yourself, by looking into the issue to see if what’s being said is actually correct.
To be fair, I have supervised plenty of uneducated idiots with no degrees that were dumb as a rock.

I voted Social class. In my neighborhood, we have diverse race and religion and politics but we are all middle class retirees.

Last edited by Buckeye77; 12-26-2021 at 06:23 AM..

Old 12-26-2021, 05:15 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
YOu left out the main reason:

Democrats.

Old 12-26-2021, 05:17 AM

2,706 posts, read 2,207,814 times
I voted "Politics", but it is strongly connected to "race" which the Democrats keep pushing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies