Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel that you have experienced voter suppression?
Yes 22 17.60%
No 103 82.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2021, 08:00 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,248,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Well, that really isn't a thing. That Kool-Aid you liberals drink must be delicious.
I started the thread because I don't believe that existing voter laws are racist, and that it's being used for political reasons.

Old 12-28-2021, 08:08 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,248,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
When I was in my early 20s I had a very long commute - about 2 hours each way. At that time there was no early voting or mail in voting. I was registered based on where I lived and had to head to my job before the polls opened. I was getting home right around the time they closed. Sometimes I made it, sometimes I didn't. I couldn't afford to take a half day off to vote, and in hindsight I don't think it's fair to expect someone to do that. I made it in time maybe 2/3 of the time, running in to the polling place as one of the last people of the night. Other times I didn't make it.
But do you think you were singled out because of racism?

I have been lucky enough to always have been near voting sites, often being at the end of my street. I don't have a problem with that, more available voting sites. I have a problem with not having to show ID, signatures not having to match, non-citizens being able to vote, etc. Here in California, we voted without being asked for our ID. I'm against that.

Old 12-29-2021, 05:17 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,219,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
But do you think you were singled out because of racism?

I have been lucky enough to always have been near voting sites, often being at the end of my street. I don't have a problem with that, more available voting sites. I have a problem with not having to show ID, signatures not having to match, non-citizens being able to vote, etc. Here in California, we voted without being asked for our ID. I'm against that.
Racism was not part of your original question, which I quoted in full.

No, I didn't think it was racism, but there is no doubt that the way voting happened during the time I described had disparate impacts on those races that had to travel farther for work. I don't think it was done with the intention of suppressing votes, but with the ignorance that some have not recognizing that not everyone has a situation that makes it easy to vote in a one-day 7am=7pm voting window.

Old 12-29-2021, 05:42 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,019,409 times
No. But I'm a white male who's mostly voted in small towns. I don't have to show ID or anything. Just give them a name and they give me a ballot. Some times they don't even check the voter roll.

Old 12-29-2021, 06:41 AM

59,089 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Suppression, no. Manipulation through conservative gerrymandering, yes.
Suppression, no. Manipulation through LIBERAL gerrymandering, yes.

Old 12-29-2021, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_too_sweet View Post
Ya I have a felony for 2nd DUI and can't vote. Who is really "Drunk" at .08 BAC ? I was exactly .08

I did not hurt anyone and every bar every night a million people do the same thing every day its not like I did anything unusual and that was a long time ago I quit drinking years ago. Middle aged people make different choices then 20 somethings but this **** sticks for life.
Sorry but, that is NOT "suppression".

You FREELY BROKE A LAW!

Don't like it, work to get the law changed!

Old 12-29-2021, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I should have pointed out that Maryland doesn't make ID mandatory to vote. The decision to request it rests with the individual poll worker.
"Maryland doesn't make ID mandatory to vote."

One of the MANY reason why I left!

NO wonder it stays a dem run state!

The "free sate", what a JOKE!

Old 12-29-2021, 06:47 AM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Racism was not part of your original question, which I quoted in full.

No, I didn't think it was racism, but there is no doubt that the way voting happened during the time I described had disparate impacts on those races that had to travel farther for work. I don't think it was done with the intention of suppressing votes, but with the ignorance that some have not recognizing that not everyone has a situation that makes it easy to vote in a one-day 7am=7pm voting window.
In the aggregate how many people does that window really impact? Likely not enough to even be considered rounding error. I also have had similar jobs and always managed to vote, absentee is always an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
No. But I'm a white male who's mostly voted in small towns. I don't have to show ID or anything. Just give them a name and they give me a ballot. Some times they don't even check the voter roll.

As am I. Go back to my first post and see the difference between our experiences.

Old 12-29-2021, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I admit I am not knowledgeable on all the specifics, but does this mean you don't vote? Again, $25.00 plus $6.25 is too much for people to save up for? Seriously, if I actually knew someone who were so poor that they couldn't save up this amount of money over a certain period of time, I would pay it for them. I just can't see that scenario happening.

I do appreciate your response, though. That's one reason so far. Thank you.
"if I actually knew someone who were so poor that they couldn't save up this amount of money over a certain period of time, I would pay it for them."

You should first find out what they DO spend their money on!

Old 12-29-2021, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
People never have any trouble going to Wal-Mart, but can't get to the polls without some kind of "problem".

And then they call it "suppression".
And those so "poor" keep the liquor stores, that also sell cigarettes, open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies