Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2021, 08:46 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layden85 View Post
In the Chicago burbs. I drove over to a testing site during lunch and at least 30 people standing outside and the line isn’t moving. It’s cold and rainy here and sick people (not all are sick I know but some are) have to stand outside for hours? I call a local outpatient clinic that has testing. It tells you to press 2 to speak to a representative. Nobody answers. I call my primary care office. 15 callers ahead. I go online and not finding a home test anywhere.
My daughter was tested near Randhurst in Mt Prospect yesterday after a major outbreak at her employer caused the store to close. No wait for the test. Quick test was negative. PCR results not yet available.

Niece just received notice of a negative PCR test she took 10 days ago. It’s negative and useless. The labs are overwhelmed and experiencing their own staff shortages.

Another thrice vaccinated family member has chosen to be tested daily and last week was tested twice in a single day at different locations, with conflicting PCR outcomes. It seems to have become a new hobby.

There are no at home test kits available in my neck of the woods due to hoarding.

I have never been tested and have no intention of doing so. I am triple vaccinated and have no symptoms. Should I develop symptoms I will super isolate and proceed to the ER only in the unlikely event breathing becomes a challenge.

Thus far the past 10 months , I have avoided close contact with other humans outside my home. Figure the greatest risk has been dining out and/ or food prepared / carried by others who may be infected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2021, 08:47 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,409,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonMB View Post
Are you unaware that we're in the middle of a big surge due to the evolution of a new variant that's more transmissible?

Yes, so does that mean that everyone is feeling ill and running out and getting tested??

Most of the crap on the news is overhyped just to scare people. I would hope people aren't foolish enough to panic & run out and get a test because of the fear mongering media, especially if these people aren't showing any symptoms.

Old 12-28-2021, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
CVS and Walgreens 2 blocks away from me has stacks of home test, I don't bother.
There are about 9000 Walgreens and nearly 10,000 CVS stores in the US.

Supplies are highly variable, subject to local demand.

People are hoarding.

Labs are backlogged.

Niece just received notice her PCR test she took 10 days ago is negative. Useless information.

Old 12-28-2021, 08:52 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
There are about 9000 Walgreens and nearly 10,000 CVS stores in the US.

Supplies are highly variable.

People are hoarding.

Labs are backlogged.
I did a drive-thru test at CVS back in July.

Have things changed much since then?

Old 12-28-2021, 08:53 AM

17,379 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Yes, so does that mean that everyone is feeling ill and running out and getting tested??

Most of the crap on the news is overhyped just to scare people. I would hope people aren't foolish enough to panic & run out and get a test because of the fear mongering media...
I think we can blame Biden for a lot of the test hoarding. Those mandates he was pushing made people grab up the tests so that they wouldn't get fired when they needed to provide proof of a negative Covid test once or twice a week.

More proof that Biden is an idiot.

Old 12-28-2021, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Why are people looking for tests?

Who or what is requiring a home-based test result?
I don’t get it either.

Old 12-28-2021, 09:01 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,439,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I did a drive-thru test at CVS back in July.

Have things changed much since then?
I think it depends where you are.

We are in Central FL north of Orlando. Husband went to pick up a prescription a couple days ago and there were only 3 people in the CVS drive thru testing line.

So, it seems like we would be able to get a test easily enough if we wanted.

Old 12-28-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
That is why people can’t find the tests in stores anymore. One person buys 10 packs which is 20 tests and others can’t even get one kit with two. Many people are hoarding like this. It hurts everyone.

You’re the second poster on cd I’ve seen who said they stocked up like this. Glad you at least gave some away.

Why are people obsessing over getting tested?

My sister thrice vaccinated who has no symptoms just texted her intineary for the day. She intends to get 3 tests, today.

Other than seeking tests, she has no other human contact. She does curb side pick up and avoids everything and everyone.

Guess it gives her purpose. It’s nuts.

Old 12-28-2021, 09:02 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,439,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Why are people obsessing over getting tested?

My sister thrice vaccinated who has no symptoms just texted her intineary for the day. She intends to get 3 tests, today.

Other than seeking tests, she has no other human contact. She does curb side pick up and avoids everything and everyone.

Guess it gives her purpose. It’s nuts.
Why is she getting 3?

Old 12-28-2021, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Some people are sick.

Some people are required to have a documented test result to travel.

Some people thought they'd relax this year and go visit their 80 y/o grandma and wanted a test before they did that.
No need to test for domestic travel. Many countries have banned entry to US people.
Ports of call are once again declining cruises that originate from US ports.

PCR tests may not pick it up if very recently infected.
One can become infected during the gap between test and results.

I would not risk an in person visit to an 80 year old, right now.

Reportedly, the worst will hit come January.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies