Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2021, 07:36 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Many Black people in America are gullible to this hyper African stuff like wearing Kente cloth and what not because they don't know enough about West Africa to begin with. Its like religion ,if you don't read the bible you have to rely on someone to tell you what it says about everything.

100 years of segregation pretty much etched in stone enough West African cultural traditions in African American culture that there is no need to devote any extra effort to acknowledge how African you are. That hyper Africa stuff is just marketing.
Many folks are gullible to Santa, The Easter Bunny, Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day....blah blah.

If you are triggered by Kwanza and not other 'made up' holiday traditions...you might have an issue with something not related to Kwanza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2021, 07:42 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm confused by this. St. Patrick's Day began in the 1600's in the US as the Feast Day of St. Patrick, just like there is a Feast Day of St. Joseph and many other Feast Days for Saints.

Kwanzaa was flat out made up and I have never met a black person who didn't mock it as nonsense.

White social justice warriors, of course, insist we include it with Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, because they're nuts.
Yeah, I’ve asked several black people about Kwanza, and while they didn’t mock it, almost all have mentioned they know very little about it and don’t celebrate it. I’ve seen plenty of Facebook pictures/posts of blacks celebrating Christmas last week and not a single mention of Kwanza from blacks I’m friends with on Facebook.

Old 12-29-2021, 07:50 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Those feast days have become ethnic holidays that people participate in even if they're not of that ethnic background. Do you think everyone out on St. Patrick's Day is Irish? Or that only Italians go to St. Joseph Feasts?

Chicago has Pulaski Day because when I was a kid Chicago had a very high Polish population. The line was oft-repeated that there were more Polish people living in Chicago than in Warsaw, although that's been dispelled.

Your last question is puzzling. This is a board for discussion and debate of all topics. I've simply said the black people I know have mocked it and I don't know anyone who celebrates it, and that it was made up. Those are facts, and I have no problem with people who choose to celebrate Kwanzaa or anything else.
As a Polish American living in Chicago, this is still often repeated lol, as Chicago still has one of the largest Polish/Polish American populations

And yes, I’m Catholic too and you are right; a lot of the ethnic celebrations (St. Patrick’s Day, etc) originated as feast days in the Church, and everyone celebrates them (not just the specific ethnic group),

Old 12-30-2021, 04:20 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,676,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Many folks are gullible to Santa, The Easter Bunny, Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day....blah blah.

If you are triggered by Kwanza and not other 'made up' holiday traditions...you might have an issue with something not related to Kwanza.

I'm triggered by the fact that a person can tell Black people that Kwanza is their culture and they eat it up. Its a little cultish to me. Unlike the Santa and the Easter Bunny black people who believe Kwanza is a real cultural aspect of their identity won't grow out of it. Kwanza is the "empty carbs" of African American cultural life. It looks good smells good but its worth nothing.

Old 12-30-2021, 04:37 AM

16,590 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Huh??

Created in 1966 by Maulana Ron Karenga, a Black American scholar, and activist,
Huh is right, only in reverse.

Maulana Ndabezitha Karenga (aka Ronald McKinley Everett) is an anti-white radical black racist/supremist, who is a convicted felon, who preaches hate.

That is a little different than the way you describe him. Any "holiday" created by him, should be dismissed in the same way a holiday created by a white racist should be.

Old 12-30-2021, 04:55 AM

24,625 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I'm triggered that white liberals will politized and weaponize holidays that we blacks don't even practice, for pandering and cheap political points.

No African American on this entire message board has ever celebrated Kwanzaa (or even Juneteenth). I wouldn't even know how to celebrate it, let a lone the fact Kwanzaa would never be recognized by the government as a federal holiday due to being 1 week long (we already use long federal holidays for more violence).

Black Americans have made it very clear that we don't want anything remotely to do with African culture or tradition, so this manufactured renewed interest in silly holidays is absurd.

Old 12-30-2021, 04:59 AM

16,590 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I'm triggered that white liberals will politized and weaponize holidays that we blacks don't even practice, for pandering and cheap political points.

No African American on this entire message board has ever celebrated Kwanzaa (or even Juneteenth). I wouldn't even know how to celebrate it, let a lone the fact Kwanzaa would never be recognized by the government as a federal holiday due to being 1 week long (we already use long federal holidays for more violence).

Black Americans have made it very clear that we don't want anything remotely to do with African culture or tradition, so this manufactured renewed interest in silly holidays is absurd.
Trigger Warning;

Old 12-30-2021, 07:15 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I'm triggered by the fact that a person can tell Black people that Kwanza is their culture and they eat it up. Its a little cultish to me. Unlike the Santa and the Easter Bunny black people who believe Kwanza is a real cultural aspect of their identity won't grow out of it. Kwanza is the "empty carbs" of African American cultural life. It looks good smells good but its worth nothing.
It isn't cultish for you to be told to eat Irish food and drink beer on St. Patrick's Day?

Maybe Black people are a little more discerning than you give them credit. Maybe they fully know that Kwanzaa was created in 1966 and is based on harvest festivals that originated in Africa. Maybe they get all that and still choose to enjoy the holiday or choose not to.

Why the heck do you care.

Did the Black people step up and ask you to make sure they aren't being taken advantage of on this whole Kwanza thing?

Old 12-30-2021, 07:20 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I never celebrated Kwanzaa (or Juneteenth) a day in my life and I'm black.
Funny, that's been the reaction of every black person I ever asked about Kwanzaa. Not that it was that many, but they all said they celebrate Christmas and didn't know anything about Kwanzaa.

Old 12-30-2021, 07:29 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,449,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Huh??

Created in 1966 by Maulana Ron Karenga, a Black American scholar, and activist, Kwanzaa IS an African American and Pan-African holiday that celebrates history, values, family, community and culture.
Kwanzaa is a celebration to promote the Black culture heritage.

Kwanzaa is a time of communal self-affirmation that celebrates the Black heroes and heroines with food decoration, cultural objects, and the light of the kinara.

Maybe you should read this, because you seem to be clueless:
https://nmaahc.si.edu/kwanzaa
https://www.marca.com/en/lifestyle/u...8478b4612.html
Great post. Thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies