Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2021, 11:33 AM

3,843 posts, read 2,209,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
There are celebrations going on across the country so there are some Black Americans who recognize the holiday…
What if I made up some Carribean culture and projected that on you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2021, 11:35 AM

30,562 posts, read 18,061,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Black people did not come together to make Kwanzaa. The Feds made it up and chose Karenga to be the front man. Powerful people who control the media gave it national attention and tried to make it real even though it was never anything that black people actually did.
Do you have any evidence to support this? And saying that Karenga was an FBI informant is not evidence to support your contention.

In any event, assuming what you was true for the sake of argument, that is not the standard for whether something is a cultural tradition of or within a group of people.

And, yes, Kwanzaa is something that black people do. I have lived Kwanzaa and there are numerous celebrations/observations of Kwanzaa going on throughout the country, both within people's private homes and in the public sphere. If you mean that Kwanzaa is not a deep-rooted tradition, I'd agree. But, again, that doesn't make something not be a cultural tradition of a group.

Old 12-28-2021, 11:35 AM

21,076 posts, read 19,579,298 times
Advice to my fellow white people: never wish a black person "Happy Kwanzaa!" unless you know for sure that they are celebrating it. They could take it offensively. Kind of like if a black person asked you if you were going to the Klan rally tonight.

Old 12-28-2021, 11:39 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,067,752 times
Quote:
It's not a black holiday though. It's really got nothing to do with black people.

Black people never claimed it and don't know anything about it. The media was telling people that it was our culture.

I was taught Kwanzaa by my white teachers in school in the 90s. No one in my family or community understood Kwanzaa. It has nothing to do with black culture and history.

If it was our culture, we would know about it.
Everything you just said is wildly inaccurate.

You're clearly not interested in having a fact-based conversation LOL.

Old 12-28-2021, 11:39 AM

15,066 posts, read 6,144,174 times
Quote:
What if I made up some Carribean culture and projected that on you?
You are not from or of Caribbean origin. Further, I don’t celebrate everything that is part of Caribbean culture but that doesn’t mean those celebrations aren’t Caribbean.

Old 12-28-2021, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
But none of us speaks for the entire group in this case.
When you claim that "Kwanzaa is an African-American cultural tradition" you are speaking for a group. You are telling me that Kwanzaa is my culture. That isn't true. That's projection.

If you're part of a cult that observes some pagan holiday, that's YOUR culture. It's not the culture of black Americans.

Old 12-28-2021, 11:42 AM
YAZ

7,701 posts, read 14,048,564 times
And still....will NEVER be more popular than Cinco de Mayo.

Made popular by our alcohol producers more than anything else, tacos still go well with beer.

Old 12-28-2021, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Advice to my fellow white people: never wish a black person "Happy Kwanzaa!" unless you know for sure that they are celebrating it. They could take it offensively. Kind of like if a black person asked you if you were going to the Klan rally tonight.
oooohhh that **** drives me crazy! Or just asking black people about Kwanzaa, expecting us to know something about it.

And the media has been telling people that Kwanzaa is our culture, so they don't know any better. That's the harm in projection.

Kwanzaa should be promoted as the cultural tradition of a specific cult group, like the Newaubians or the Nation of Islam - not of black people.

Old 12-28-2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
And still....will NEVER be more popular than Cinco de Mayo.

Made popular by our alcohol producers more than anything else, tacos still go well with beer.
Cinco de Mayo is not comparable to Kwanzaa. It's a real Mexican holiday that came about organically in Mexico and has historical significance. It was recently commercialized and popularized in the United States but it wasn't fabricated.

Kwanzaa was just made up.

Old 12-28-2021, 11:54 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,154,327 times
Quote:
It's simply not true. The holiday has nothing to do with black people. If it were, we would know something about it.

White liberals know more about Kwanzaa than black people do.
You really ought to speak for yourself. I have been around people celebrating Kwanzaa for about 50 years.

St. Patrick was Italian but no one mentions this on St. Patrick's Day. Tomatoes are from Brazil and pasta is from China but no one mentions this on Columbus Day. My question is why every year, some conservatives feel that the Christmas season is not complete until they drag their feet across Kwanzaa?

Next up is Black History Month. Wait 'til the conservatives get their mouths on that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies