Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2021, 05:46 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,227,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
There's no way any sane, rational and logical human being can deny human-caused climate change after the many extreme weather events in 2021:
  • Extreme "rain bomb" KILLS New Yorkers in their basement flats
  • Extreme tornado KILLS Kentuckians in DECEMBER
  • Record drought all over the West
  • Record massive wildfires
  • British Columbia sets all time high record of 121 F. On that day it was hotter there than in Death Valley.
  • Texas deep freeze, due to massive heat dome over the North Pole that pushed cold air south, shuts down the power grid

The Year in Climate (good summary from ABC News)

How many more people have to die and how many more people have to lose their homes before we finally unite and agree that climate change is a very serious threat to all of us?
That's called weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2021, 06:34 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times
Quote:
Natural climate change is very slow. Man-made climate change is occurring at a much faster rate. The Earth has never seen the climate change this fast in the fossil record................
No, natural climate change is NOT very slow. And it is dramatic.

Here is a book for you to read put out by University of California Press. It is written by a professor that DOES believe man-caused climate change. Read the book and notice how dramatic natural climate change was in past years.

https://www.ucpress.edu/book/9780520...-without-water

Here is the visitor brochure for Glacier Bay National Park in Alaska.

https://www.nps.gov/images/Glacier-B...l-Park-Map.jpg

Print out or enlarge the brochure on your screen. The brochure shows where the glaciers were for each year since 1751?? Anyway, be sure to copy the scale and use that to estimate how many miles the glaciers have retreated year by year since 1751.

The problem is that the 20th century in the western United States was much wetter and with fewer changes in weather than normal.

It is appears we might be heading back to normal weather in the western US. Not good news.

But read the book, it is a record of 10,000 years of climate change in the western US.

Old 12-28-2021, 06:39 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
The Dust Bowl of the 1930s was much more extreme than any climatic event most people living today have seen in their lifetime.

Old 12-28-2021, 07:43 PM

4,218 posts, read 2,458,246 times
Floods, droughts, and wildfires have been happening since the earth was first formed. The climate is always and forever changing. Man cannot control the earth's climate.

Old 12-28-2021, 07:50 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
Quote:
There's no way any sane, rational and logical human being can deny human-caused climate change after the many extreme weather events in 2021:
  • Extreme "rain bomb" KILLS New Yorkers in their basement flats
  • Extreme tornado KILLS Kentuckians in DECEMBER
  • Record drought all over the West
  • Record massive wildfires
  • British Columbia sets all time high record of 121 F. On that day it was hotter there than in Death Valley.
  • Texas deep freeze, due to massive heat dome over the North Pole that pushed cold air south, shuts down the power grid
And no proof that any of it had any connection to man's activities. As usual.

Nothing but the usual "It's scary and awful, so it MUST be man's fault!"

Old 12-28-2021, 08:09 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The worst part of this is the melting at the poles more recently Antarctica although the Arctic is worse. We didn't need 2021 to prove that climate change is real, it's been happening for decades but if this year didn't get your attention nothing will.

OMG.. the poles are melting...… what do you think happens during EVERY interglacial period

or do you honestly believe we should be in forever glacial periods, where 1/2 to /34 of the earth is covered in ice... and humans (at least not 8 billion) can not exist

Old 12-28-2021, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
It's always amusing when people call NASA and other respected scientists part of a religion, sounds backwards since some republicans think only god can change the climate.
has nothing to do with god...has to do with beliefs

if the fanatical fascist liberals coax the scientists to believing their agenda to tax the world, make the liberals rich, and do NOTHING to prevent (because you can not prevent or stop climate change) the change, which is the religion they are SELLING..then yes it is a religion

Old 12-28-2021, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
And no proof that any of it had any connection to man's activities. As usual.

Nothing but the usual "It's scary and awful, so it MUST be man's fault!"

I know...very egotistical of the liberals... to think that man has caused the 24 shifts from glacial to interglacial periods... I mean OMG man stopped the glacial age (ice age) that ended 18,000 years ago..and man continues to warm (interglacial) the world

they are so egotistical, they must really believe that Atlas carries the world around the sun

they are so egotistical they they actually agree with Alex Jones, and think the HAARP machine (man made) has made all these disasters...they even accused WBush of sending (via HAARP) Katrina to N.O.L.A to "take out the back people"

Last edited by workingclasshero; 12-28-2021 at 08:30 PM..

Old 12-28-2021, 08:25 PM

28,668 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I like this post. I don’t admit to being an environmentalist these days because I don’t want to be confused with the nutty “warmers.” But you raise real environmental concerns. My state government forces rural areas to let builders tear up all the undeveloped land to build housing complexes but charges a tax on gas because my fuel-efficient car is somehow destroying the earth. Honestly, sometimes I think the global warming thing is used in part to get people to ignore real environmental issues - many of which are caused by builders and other politically connected businesses. I’ve been hearing about the great flood since the late 80s. I lived in Jersey City for a time. There are spots in JC and Hoboken where the water in the bay comes right up to the concrete wall at high tide. I thought for sure it would have flooded by now. But it’s still at that same spot. I might have more faith in the warmers if any of their predictions came true in the past 30 plus years.
I suspect that gas tax is--as in other states--used to build and repair roads.

Old 12-28-2021, 08:30 PM

2,953 posts, read 993,129 times
Well this thread has been a plantation owning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies