Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2021, 12:08 PM

15,746 posts, read 14,343,513 times

Advertisements

You realize this is all perfectly normal.

The NE coast gets hurricanes and always has. Long Island, NY got crushed by a direct hit in 1938. The midwest and south get tornados and always have (and always will.) Lots of the west is actually desert. Air conditioning has allowed us to live there, but it's still pretty arid and has always burned. And Texas getting a freeze has nothing to do with global warming.

Get real. People are using normal weather variability to try and prove global warning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
There's no way any sane, rational and logical human being can deny human-caused climate change after the many extreme weather events in 2021:
  • Extreme "rain bomb" KILLS New Yorkers in their basement flats
  • Extreme tornado KILLS Kentuckians in DECEMBER
  • Record drought all over the West
  • Record massive wildfires
  • British Columbia sets all time high record of 121 F. On that day it was hotter there than in Death Valley.
  • Texas deep freeze, due to massive heat dome over the North Pole that pushed cold air south, shuts down the power grid

The Year in Climate (good summary from ABC News)

How many more people have to die and how many more people have to lose their homes before we finally unite and agree that climate change is a very serious threat to all of us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2021, 12:11 PM

40,920 posts, read 48,822,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Natural climate change is very slow. Man-made climate change is occurring at a much faster rate. The Earth has never seen the climate change this fast in the fossil record.
I don't buy that. Go to Alaska and see where the leading line of the Glaciers were from 150 to 100 years ago.

Old 12-28-2021, 12:11 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,120,677 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVlRompc1yE

Old 12-28-2021, 12:16 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,582,791 times
It's almost as if the op has stock in 'Green' Technology, which in large, is a scam.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/auto...ales-down.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...ers-human.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/weat...heat-wave.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...le-37-all.html

Hey op, real climatology doesn't work on a set in stone consensus, only politicized climate science does that. It's not like all scientists around the world get together and say: Welp, time to go home, guess that's settled. This only happens when they're in the pocket of someone with a very specific agenda.

How many times has the so-called 'consensus', been wrong?

Real climatology, is constantly questioning the results and the data, especially on something as tentative as the climate.

Old 12-28-2021, 12:16 PM

14,300 posts, read 14,088,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
And yet you probably think brietbart & Newsmax are reliable sources LOL
Hardcore conservatives reject any conventional news source. They even reject ones like the Wall Street Journal which was very harsh in terms of criticizing Hillary Clinton in 2016. ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, the New York Times, Washington Post if you listen to the nonsense that the rightwing peddles daily in this country none of these are believable. Its not uncommon to hear rhetoric like these "are communist sources". They are always trying to get people to listen to things like Newsmax or Fox News because these are the only "dependable news sources". The problem with that was that when Fox's polls were correctly showing Trump losing the 2020 presidential election, the conservative fringe element became irate. They even started claiming Fox was not dependable.

I mean we know all that is just BS. I think many of them realize its BS too. What's going on is that there are people who are not interested in accurate news reporting. What they want instead is news that functions as propaganda and simply repeats a certain message over and over again.

Climate change and man-made climate change are undeniable for anyone with a brain. I remember what winters in my home state of Utah used to be like. They were consistently far more snowy and cold than the ones we have today. The trend has been going on for years and is unmistakable. Sixty Minutes did a feature last Sunday on how climate change has impacted the wine industry in France and Italy. Its vastly reducing wine production and sales.

My inner self tells me that ameliorating climate change is going to be very difficult. Too many of these same clowns won't even take a vaccination simply because the government has recommended they do so. What chance do we have of getting something resembling a consensus in this country on doing something about climate change? I would say the odds are very low.

Old 12-28-2021, 12:18 PM

18,422 posts, read 9,039,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
i volunteer any individuals with a private jet to lead the way and show the rest of peons they care about climate change. dont worry, they wont. its you and your careers that are the problem! now pay more for stuff and be grateful!
That’s the problem. The rich write the laws. Any policies that address global warming will hit the poor hardest.

Yes, global warming is real, but is there an economical way to address the problem that won’t screw over the public and leave the rich untouched (or even richer)?

Old 12-28-2021, 12:19 PM

12,148 posts, read 7,114,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
1) nothing happened in 2021 that hasn't happened before.....for many millennia.

2) how are any of the things that the Left proposes, eg carbon taxes etc, going to stop "climate change"?

3) how do you get Russia, China, India etc to cooperate?
That Paris accord that the Left worships was always about punishing and handcuffing the U.S. while letting just about everyone else continue to burn fossil fuels. Trump saw it for what it really was and backed out of it but once Biden came in, he got us back into that unfair deal, that is hardly going to lower net carbon emissions. Less emissions here only to be offset by higher emissions elsewhere in the world while we pay dearly for everything. Sadly, dumb Leftists hear “environmental accord” and really believe it was for the environment because their Democrats and liberal media told them so.

Old 12-28-2021, 12:22 PM

77,690 posts, read 59,823,491 times
It's always humorous to see someone trot out gross anti-science of trying to claim <2% of the earths surface area for 1 year as being proof of something, especially when they use emotional non-science headline examples as proof.

Not even arguing right or wrong about AGW, just the bizarre logic being used.

I could do a casting of bones and summon a spirit with my ouija board and be as scientific as this.

Heck, why don't we just imagine what the weather will be like in Tampa, Florida during 2022 and use that as proof of AGW?

Old 12-28-2021, 12:24 PM

16,924 posts, read 12,473,274 times
December tornadoes have never happened before in KY!
https://www.weather.gov/lmk/tornado_...ology_december
Nor has 3 inches of rain ever happened in NYC before (measured in MM)
1.86 July 22, 1880 47.2
3.95 August 18, 1879 100.3
3.31 August 06, 1878 84.1
4.05 October 04, 1877 102.9
4.25 March 25, 1876 108.0
2.63 August 12, 1875 66.8
3.28 September 17, 1874 83.3
4.80 August 20, 1873 121.9
2.91 July 26, 1872 73.9
2.70 October 06, 1871 68.6
1.91 October 12, 1870 48.5
2.60 February 15, 1869 66.0

So now global warming is causing global cooling?

Ya'll gotta pick one.

Old 12-28-2021, 12:30 PM

18,123 posts, read 15,512,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedster24 View Post
Ohhhhh MY! LOL. Well, I've seen VERY extreme weather events happen all though my life. The West went through a worse drought than we have had of late in the 70s. In the 80s we had paralyzing snow storms that dumped 4 feet and better in the valley floors then there was nowhere to put all that water anyway and it started to rain. Floods. That cycle happens every ten years here. Like clockwork. 77 87 97 2017, and now this last Summer which just about burned us out just with temps an unreacted to lightning fire went nuts and another that was man caused did the same. It could be argued the Caldor fire was man causes as CDF decided it would "burn itself out" after it was reported. It did. But it took a few million acres of forest to do it.

Now after THE worst Summer I can remember Winter is cranking it out. We were unseasonably warm through November too but Old Man Winter is making up for that now. Brutal cold snow (much needed and no end in sight) wind from hell. Extreme weather is "proof of man made climate change"? And ol' Greta just turns on my tear ducts. Extreme weather happens when it feels like happening and people have nothing to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies