Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2021, 03:34 PM

19 posts, read 4,641 times

Advertisements

Nothing really but I guess ohioaninsc is right.... (Maybe it will make the parents/others more aware)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2021, 03:40 PM

3,267 posts, read 1,747,333 times
This could have been prevented by a $20.00 lock box. When my son was small I made sure every firearm was in the gunsafe. If any of his friends were nosing around the safe, they were not asked back.

Old 12-28-2021, 03:48 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,521,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
This could have been prevented by a $20.00 lock box. When my son was small I made sure every firearm was in the gunsafe. If any of his friends were nosing around the safe, they were not asked back.
Well, the gun was left on top of a gun safe, so chances are they would not have used a lock box anyway
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
What does charging the parents accomplish that losing a son hasn't already done?
Hopefully makes other gun owners think twice before leaving their loaded guns lying around where kids can get to them

Old 12-28-2021, 04:06 PM

3,081 posts, read 3,263,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Hopefully makes other gun owners think twice before leaving their loaded guns lying around where kids can get to them
Motivation A:

Leave gun around and your child might die

Motivation B:

Leave gun around and you might go to jail

I'd argue that if A doesn't get someone to be responsible with their firearm that B will likely have even less effect.

Old 12-28-2021, 04:12 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,184,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I like to see parents being charged for every drowning incident happened at home.

For children under 14, home swimming pools are a far more dangerous threat.
It has happened. Parents have been charged as to pool negligence.

"FORT PIERCE — A Port St. Lucie man was spared prison time Monday after pleading no contest to aggravated manslaughter of a child in connection with the April 19 drowning of his 9-year-old son, Assistant State Attorney Linda Baldree confirmed. Instead of facing up to 30 years of incarceration, Gareth Grant, 33, entered into a negotiated plea deal with prosecutors that requires he serve one year of community control and five years of probation. He was given credit for 61 days he spent in the St. Lucie County Jail following his arrest in May.

Grant’s son, who police said had been diagnosed with autism, died after being pulled from the bottom of a swimming pool at the family’s home in the 2100 block of Southeast Bisbee Street, records show. At the time, police said, investigators learned Grant was at home with his son and two younger daughters. He was accused of not properly supervising the boy and had left open a back door that led to the pool, according to an arrest affidavit. The child was taken to a hospital in critical condition but died several days later.

Baldree said Grant was further ordered to attend parenting classes, complete a water safety course and install a safety fence around his pool."

https://www.tcpalm.com/story/news/cr...on/8630571002/

Old 12-28-2021, 04:15 PM

45,223 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Well, the gun was left on top of a gun safe, so chances are they would not have used a lock box anyway

did it deter this gun owner?
“Hey hon we better lock the guns up so we don't go to prison if the kids decide to shoot each other” - said no gun owner ever

Old 12-28-2021, 04:19 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,521,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
did it deter this gun owner?
“Hey hon we better lock the guns up so we don't go to prison if the kids decide to shoot each other” - said no gun owner ever
That seems to be obvious in this point. Seems like a parent would be smarter than to leave a gun out around their kids, but we keep seing these types of news stories. Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Motivation A:

Leave gun around and your child might die

Motivation B:

Leave gun around and you might go to jail

I'd argue that if A doesn't get someone to be responsible with their firearm that B will likely have even less effect.
Fair point

Old 12-28-2021, 04:20 PM

17,374 posts, read 16,518,282 times
Was the 13 year old suffering from mental health issues that his parents were aware of? Did the 13 year old ever threaten his brother before?

Unless there is some sort of grave negligence here I'm not seeing the parents getting convicted. It sounds like this was an accident although I would have to know more about why the 13 year tried to scare his 5 year old brother like that. The whole thing doesn't make much sense.

Old 12-28-2021, 04:28 PM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
unless one can quickly access a gun, its useless for self-defence....i have been robbed delivering pizza and it so fast

that ir seems like a movie as Andy Warhol said...imprtant people have whole security details, yet assassinations happen
Need a gun for delivering pizza, really remote odds on that happening but I wouldn't want to work in that area. Rather weird needing an everyday carry gun unless he is LE or security but leaving a loaded gun where kids can access it is a big mistake.

Old 12-28-2021, 05:05 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Was the 13 year old suffering from mental health issues that his parents were aware of? Did the 13 year old ever threaten his brother before?

Unless there is some sort of grave negligence here I'm not seeing the parents getting convicted. It sounds like this was an accident although I would have to know more about why the 13 year tried to scare his 5 year old brother like that. The whole thing doesn't make much sense.
Pulling the trigger on a gun is never an accident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies