Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2021, 11:50 AM

29,476 posts, read 22,494,633 times

Advertisements

It's just a movie, lighten up snowflakers.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...221515990.html

Quote:
The activist group Media Action Network for Asian Americans is calling for an awards boycott of Paul Thomas Anderson’s latest film, “Licorice Pizza,” over scenes involving a white restaurant owner using a racist mock Asian accent when talking to his Japanese wife.

“MANAA hopes to show that showering praise on a movie such as ‘Licorice Pizza’ is condoning anti-Asian racism and gives a message that racism in movies is ok as long as Asians are the victims. Unfortunately, these attitudes translate into and perpetuate the anti-Asian hatred we see in the world around us,” a MANAA spokesperson told TheWrap Monday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2021, 12:04 PM

25,482 posts, read 18,618,666 times
Good lord... "speaking with an accent" is now considered racist? Ridiculous. I've been good at speaking with various accents since I was a little kid. At one point, I had several accent/dialect variations of England English down, Irish, Scottish, French, Russian, Spanish, southern US, and a few more. Has nothing to do with racism and everything to do with having an ear for various sounds and being able to duplicate them with your own mouth.

On a related, but not exactly the same, note:

Nothing worse sounding to me than a "yankee" who has learned Spanish and has a heavy "gringo" accent. It took a lot of effort on my part when I learned Spanish to actually learn the sounds of Spanish before I even learned the words and how to form sentences--and learning the sounds of various regions that speak Spanish. Being able to duplicate an accent or lack of accent in a given language is a talent, not "racism." At one point, I was told by native Spanish speakers that I had no foreign accent at all (even though I still bungled the grammar a bit). That made me feel good and my motivation was certainly not racism.

I've had several Russian coworkers over the years. Most had a fairly significant Russian accent, but two had absolutely none at all. They practiced the sounds of native English (the US version) until they had perfected it. That is not racism, it is doing things right and caring enough about the language you are learning to practice the sounds right along with the words.

It's too bad any and everything we do these days is some form of racism in the diseased leftist mind.

Old 12-28-2021, 12:15 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,932,524 times
People have called for the boycott of songs, bands, books, movies, tv shows, restaurants, coffee shops for years.

I just ignore it all.

Old 12-28-2021, 01:09 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,385,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Good lord... "speaking with an accent" is now considered racist? Ridiculous. I've been good at speaking with various accents since I was a little kid. At one point, I had several accent/dialect variations of England English down, Irish, Scottish, French, Russian, Spanish, southern US, and a few more. Has nothing to do with racism and everything to do with having an ear for various sounds and being able to duplicate them with your own mouth.

On a related, but not exactly the same, note:

Nothing worse sounding to me than a "yankee" who has learned Spanish and has a heavy "gringo" accent. It took a lot of effort on my part when I learned Spanish to actually learn the sounds of Spanish before I even learned the words and how to form sentences--and learning the sounds of various regions that speak Spanish. Being able to duplicate an accent or lack of accent in a given language is a talent, not "racism." At one point, I was told by native Spanish speakers that I had no foreign accent at all (even though I still bungled the grammar a bit). That made me feel good and my motivation was certainly not racism.

I've had several Russian coworkers over the years. Most had a fairly significant Russian accent, but two had absolutely none at all. They practiced the sounds of native English (the US version) until they had perfected it. That is not racism, it is doing things right and caring enough about the language you are learning to practice the sounds right along with the words.

It's too bad any and everything we do these days is some form of racism in the diseased leftist mind.
I do not know, not really make sense. Spanish has numerous accents, I can even tell, despite me not knowing Spanish (I live in Miami), where someone could be from,, with Cubans having a very distant accent different than say someone from Mexico or El Salvador.

There is more than one accent in the US, so what would be an "American" accent? Even in Russia, especially including the former USSR, there are numerous accents, so it does not make much sense to me for a Russian to practice not having an accent, when Russia itself has them, it is natural. I am from Ukraine, Russian is my native language, yet someone from Moscow can right away know I am from Ukraine due to my accent.

But yet, none of it is racism though. Hell, I make fun of my wife with her Russian accent that is different than mine (and vice versa, lol).

Old 12-28-2021, 01:23 PM

17,704 posts, read 13,565,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I do not know, not really make sense. Spanish has numerous accents, I can even tell, despite me not knowing Spanish (I live in Miami), where someone could be from,, with Cubans having a very distant accent different than say someone from Mexico or El Salvador.

There is more than one accent in the US, so what would be an "American" accent? Even in Russia, especially including the former USSR, there are numerous accents, so it does not make much sense to me for a Russian to practice not having an accent, when Russia itself has them, it is natural. I am from Ukraine, Russian is my native language, yet someone from Moscow can right away know I am from Ukraine due to my accent.

But yet, none of it is racism though. Hell, I make fun of my wife with her Russian accent that is different than mine (and vice versa, lol).
There are like 10 dialects of Spanish in Mexico alone. let alone all the other countries that speak Spanish down there. I wonder which one Chris' "spanish" sounds like?

I wonder how many different Ukrainian "Russian" accents there are?

Old 05-26-2022, 11:01 AM

128,999 posts, read 11,938,836 times
It was a dumb movie anyhow.

Old 05-26-2022, 12:35 PM

17,876 posts, read 15,841,337 times
I agree, boycott the movie and the awards. If you dont, then you know Asian and pacific islanders are only race in which you are allowed to be racist too.

Old 05-26-2022, 12:40 PM

6,469 posts, read 2,879,584 times
I'd need to watch the scene in order to decide anything,..

and that's not gonna happen,..lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies