Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2021, 11:28 PM

27,131 posts, read 15,310,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
I am old enough to remember when open-border leftists accused American law enforcement as fascists for asking (yes, asking) criminal ILLEGAL ALIENS for their immigration status under Trump.

Now these same leftists are demanding law enforcement to make AMERICANS show vaccination paper before they grab a burger.

Holy ****
Yep, that happened and this is where we are now.
Reason #879,367 to never vote Democrat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2021, 11:37 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,069,239 times
Quote:
I am old enough to remember when open-border leftists accused American law enforcement as fascists for asking (yes, asking) criminal ILLEGAL ALIENS for their immigration status under Trump.

Now these same leftists are demanding law enforcement to make AMERICANS show vaccination paper before they grab a burger.

Holy ****
Good point. (Can’t rep you again).

Old 12-30-2021, 01:53 AM

1,871 posts, read 648,817 times
Quote:

Holy ****
What this mean is that -- if you are asked to show vaccination papers, somehow show/convince the police that you are an illegal immigrant, your supposedly 'illegal' status should override vaccination concern. And you might even get a free burger out of it.

Old 12-30-2021, 02:00 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
Adams just announced he’s keeping these mandates when he takes office.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 12-30-2021, 02:39 PM

9,503 posts, read 4,339,161 times
NYC's liberal leadership has decided that enforcement of Covid mandates is more important than actual crime, so the police just respond accordingly. In addition, these liberal cities have hamstrung good, pro-active policing methods, so officers are now bored. Finally, the chances of a police officer spending the rest of their lives behind bars for making a mistake are far less likely when all they do is demand to see one's Covid papers.

Old 12-30-2021, 02:41 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
NYC's liberal leadership has decided that enforcement of Covid mandates is more important than actual crime, so the police just respond accordingly. In addition, these liberal cities have hamstrung good, pro-active policing methods, so officers are now bored. Finally, the chances of a police officer spending the rest of their lives behind bars for making a mistake are far less likely when all they do is demand to see one's Covid papers.
They are a few steps away from closing the borders.

I bet they shutdown NYC borders first, and then the state.

Old 12-30-2021, 02:48 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,307,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
You had me going along with you until you got to the part about not telling cops they are “at fault”. If cops are enforcing laws that countermand the constitution (even if “calmly and without aggression”) they deserve to be held accountable for that.

Also who is your last line directed to?
you are saying the cops were at fault. The cops are not at fault. And you are wrong to say they are. That wasn't clear enough?

Let's go back a day or so. "Find me a city with mandates where the police are proactively enforcing them."

In this case, that would mean either cops stationed at restaurants, or cops randomly entering restaurants, and approaching diners demanding their vax cards.

When you find this, let us all know.

Until then, you're wrong. You can be as sure in your perception of the situation as you like and be incorrect. Which again, thankfully, is allowed in the US.

And again -

Signed,

An Anti-mandate citizen

Old 12-30-2021, 03:02 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,307,737 times
Quote:
I had no idea it was so many cops. I wonder how many violent crimes were committed while dozens of New York’s “finest” went to arrest a 5 year old.

The rest of your post is spot on too.
see, I'll agree that's a overly large # of cops. Who knows why, but it warrants explanation.

However, with all of them wearing radios, should a crime occur nearby, I feel confident they had enough resources to address it.

I've previously scuttled plans to visit NYC over the random violent crimes, and the crazy mandates don't make it any more desirable.

That's all on DeBlasio and the State legislature's new(ish) laws though.

Old 12-30-2021, 03:25 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,430,555 times
Quote:
Indeed. The excuse of “I was ordered to” didn’t fly after WWII, and it shouldn’t fly now.
I never agreed with that, personally. I do think "following orders" should be a defense. However, you are correct that that defense was rejected at Nuremberg.

Old 12-30-2021, 03:26 PM

9,503 posts, read 4,339,161 times
Quote:
You had me going along with you until you got to the part about not telling cops they are “at fault”. If cops are enforcing laws that countermand the constitution (even if “calmly and without aggression”) they deserve to be held accountable for that.

Also who is your last line directed to?
1) Cops don't make laws. That would be the legislature.
2) Cops don't determine the Constitutionality of laws. That would be the judicial system.
3) SCOTOS has yet to determine if vax mandates are un-Constitutional.

So, it sounds like you want front-line officers to override orders from their superiors and unilaterally decide what is and isn't Constitutional. Are you really, really sure you want that? You do realize how dangerous that would be if implemented across the board?
Look, I'm not happy with vax mandates or the the incident that prompted this thread. However, you seem determined to put this entire debacle on front-line officers. Vilifying the wrong people simply distracts attention from the real culprits. In your quest to reign in Covid mandate over-reach, you're doing more harm than good by focusing on non-players like the police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies