Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2021, 02:59 PM

5,995 posts, read 3,736,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So it was mild cold like symptoms WITH a fever. Did you suspect you had been exposed or do you have no clue?

Just curious.

What did your doctor say about the booster?
Sure, I was exposed. How else would I have caught it? I don't know precisely WHERE I was exposed, but it could have been almost anywhere since I have gone anywhere I please for at least the past 18 months here in Florida. A few of the places I might have caught it include restaurants, night clubs, retail stores of all kinds, at friends' houses, the golf course, the shooting range, or anywhere.

Nothing has been shut down here in Florida after the first few months of the pandemic. It's been business as usual while leaving it up to individuals to decide what they want to do and where they want to go. I decided I wasn't going to stay cooped up like a hermit for an indefinite period of time for something that is deadly only to about two-tenths of one percent of the people who catch it... and most of those are the elderly with comorbidities. While I'm past 65, I'm very healthy (thank you, Lord) and determined to enjoy the remainder of my life.

I haven't asked my doctor about a booster shot, but at the present time I would say that it's very unlikely I will get one. I'll continue to keep an open mind on the subject, but if two shots plus the antibodies from having had Covid isn't enough to protect me, then it's unlikely that additional shots will make much difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2021, 03:39 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,265,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So they used a scientific data approach to estimating. As time went on, and more samples taken it was found that those initial samples weren't holding up.
So are there any bounds to how far they can be off and it is still considered credible? I work with "scientific data" and data scientists every day, that level of error would not be considered acceptable in any project I've ever worked on. If their sample size was so small and/or biased, then they never should have made such information public to begin with and should have waited until a reasonable sampling could be attained. Such an act would tend to point to laziness, incompetence, or malevolence.

"Scientific" is not short hand for "we have a get out of jail free card for anything we want to throw out there".

Last edited by austinnerd; 12-29-2021 at 04:37 PM..

Old 12-29-2021, 07:52 PM

19,722 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
So are there any bounds to how far they can be off and it is still considered credible? I work with "scientific data" and data scientists every day, that level of error would not be considered acceptable in any project I've ever worked on. If their sample size was so small and/or biased, then they never should have made such information public to begin with and should have waited until a reasonable sampling could be attained. Such an act would tend to point to laziness, incompetence, or malevolence.

"Scientific" is not short hand for "we have a get out of jail free card for anything we want to throw out there".
They do the genome sequencing on very few because it is expensive. There is no way they do enough to get accurate estimates.

Old 12-29-2021, 11:21 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,265,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
They do the genome sequencing on very few because it is expensive. There is no way they do enough to get accurate estimates.
Which goes back to my point that they never should have released the numbers if they knew that their sample population was not statistically relevant. If they want to throw out random bits of trivia (and that's what it is if it's not based on sound sampling), then they should note it as such.

This is made all the worse when there are policy makers, as well as members of the general public, that will latch onto any information as gospel and make policy decisions based on this, known, faulty data:

Maryland doctor says people are 'going to die' after Biden admin uses faulty data to snub antibody treatments

Quote:
A doctor in Maryland said he had to cancel potentially life-saving monoclonal antibody infusions for about 250 people over the last week after the federal government stopped distributing treatments made by Regeneron and Eli Lilly because they aren't effective against omicron, even though the delta variant, which the drugs are effective at treating, was still dominant at the time.

The Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response halted the allocation of those two antibody treatments last Thursday amid the rise of omicron, which the CDC had said days earlier was responsible for 73.2% of all new cases.

But the CDC backtracked on that alarming estimate this week, revising it down to just 22.5% for the week ending Dec. 18, more than a 50-point drop.

The delta variant, which Regeneron and Eli Lilly's treatments are effective against, was actually responsible for 77% of all new cases when the federal government stopped distributing those antibody drugs.

Now, one doctor says the government's massive miscalculation cost lives.
The extent of the accuracy of the doctors statements is yet to be seen, but it does highlight the astonishing lack of responsibility shown by the CDC by releasing the "information" the way they did.

I'll repeat, this is either laziness, incompetence, or malevolence.

Old 12-30-2021, 12:08 AM

27,145 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Quote:
Sure is expensive for everyone if they get it wrong but move with it anyway.

Old 12-30-2021, 12:22 AM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope of Greenwich Village View Post
We really need to stop talking about how mild this variant is…you know they’re out there right now fixing their mistake. Next batch they brew is going to be a veritable can of whoop-ass.
Who’s ass is gonna get whooped? The virus or the shot recipients?

Old 12-30-2021, 04:37 AM

2,047 posts, read 857,616 times
For those of you that don’t think your government is out to kill you or there is some kind of conspiracy based on the erroneous stats that they knew were incorrect they ordered Monoclonal antibodies to stopped being produced and administered. They also stated that any doctor still prescribing it would have their license taken. There is ZERO reason for this! This will cost hundreds of thousands of American lives. Your government is literally going out of their way to stop early treatment and has been since day one. I cannot believe that you sheep are standing by for this nonsense. It’s gotten out of control. THEY ARE KILLING YOU! Literally killing you!

Old 12-30-2021, 04:55 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Well symptomatically Omicron is basically a cold. Having a benign non-lethal variant as the predominant variant doesn't really help with promoting the “everybody has to be vaxxed or everyone is going to die” narrative.
The liars and incompetents at the CDC are more than happy to change up the facts as it suits them and their co-conspirators.
Many around the world are at what Fauci & Co are up to.

Based on stats and predictive models, Omicron will likely replace Delta as the main variant in a matter of weeks.
By all accounts thus far, that will be good news, as it is less virulent, but more contagious. Those two things combined will induce acquired herd immunity, which is what everyone was talking about prior to "vaccines" being developed.

Plus now with better therapeutics, anyone catching one of the variants will just be able to take a few pills over several days and be fine. We also have the monoclonal antibodies which is a highly effective treatment to keep people out of the hospital.

Old 12-30-2021, 05:00 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Gotta keep things pumped-up.

Logically, it would be best to take the attitude that covid is endemic and learn to live with it.

NOPE, Biden is not going to eradicate covid.

Old 12-30-2021, 05:42 AM

8,419 posts, read 4,578,117 times
Quote:
Have they had genome sequencing tests? That is the ONLY way to tell variant.

Quote:
Omicron variants can be detected by the RT-PCR tests, as compared to the previous variants that require genome sequencing. The widely prevalent RT-PCR tests search for specific identifiers [virus’ spike protein] in the genetic material in the positive sample and not the complete gene sequence.

COVID-19: How to detect if you caught Omicron? Know if at-home molecular test effective (republicworld.com)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies