Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2022, 05:12 PM

39,221 posts, read 27,597,823 times

Advertisements

If you are an American, I wonder if you worry about your future?

Just look around you? What do you see?

U.S. companies relocate to other corners of the world in order to pay their employees very little and government encourages this. Good employment opportunities domestically are shrinking and I am not talking about the many low pay service jobs. Many people who would have formerly held these higher paying skilled jobs are forced into the only careers available; retail, restaurants, and other service jobs where the pay does not meet one’s needs. While unions were desperately needed at one time, their demands grew out of control, demanding ever-higher pay and benefits even in sectors that were no longer profitable. They are partly to blame. We also need officer salary caps, especially on publicly traded companies. More profits need to be handed down to shareholders and lower tier employees rather than having officers make 100 million or more salaries. To the fat-cats of corporate America, this is a big grown-up game of Monopoly where they horde as much wealth as possible while everyone else suffers.

Our medicare system is a total disaster. By the 2030s or early 2040s things will be gravely worse, with an ageing population and fewer people paying into social security than drawing from it.

Infrastructure has begun to suffer. Our city roads aren't built to withstand the burgeoning population. Roads most everywhere are in terrible shape, and bridges are a nightmare - old and deteriorated as they are - and in need of expensive care.

I can go on and on and on...

What are we going to blame when we become a second or third world country? China? Please..

Wake up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2022, 05:24 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,782,627 times
First, a big hello to my wumao comrades here. The CCP is committing genocide and forced slave labor on Uighur minority. The world should not ignore this. We did not ignore the Nazis's genocide of innocent people in WWII. Today it's HK. Soon it will be Taiwan and other nearby countries. The CCP can not be trusted. They lied about the Wuhan virus while they hoarded essential supplies and the world later depended on them for masks and PPE. Have you forgetten that already? Their neighbors Vietnam, the Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Taiwan, Japan, and India are under constant harassment from the CCP's huge navy. The world is slowly waking up and uniting to fight this threat. This is a moment for America to lead.

Old 01-02-2022, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
First, a big hello to my wumao comrades here. The CCP is committing genocide and forced slave labor on Uighur minority. The world should not ignore this. We did not ignore the Nazis's genocide of innocent people in WWII. Today it's HK. Soon it will be Taiwan and other nearby countries. The CCP can not be trusted. They lied about the Wuhan virus so they can hoard essential supplies and the world later depended on them for masks and PPE. Have you forgetten that already? Their neighbors Vietnam, the Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Taiwan, Japan, and India are under constant harassment from the CCP's huge navy. The world is slowly waking up and uniting to fight this threat. This is a moment for America to lead.
We don't have strong politicians to lead, unfortunately.

We have problems that are dividing us from within. China has done one thing right, they won't ALLOW a foreign voice to divide them from within, but we do. I blame "diversity", what a joke.

Old 01-02-2022, 06:26 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
First, a big hello to my wumao comrades here. The CCP is committing genocide and forced slave labor on Uighur minority. The world should not ignore this. We did not ignore the Nazis's genocide of innocent people in WWII. Today it's HK. Soon it will be Taiwan and other nearby countries. The CCP can not be trusted. They lied about the Wuhan virus while they hoarded essential supplies and the world later depended on them for masks and PPE. Have you forgetten that already? Their neighbors Vietnam, the Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Taiwan, Japan, and India are under constant harassment from the CCP's huge navy. The world is slowly waking up and uniting to fight this threat. This is a moment for America to lead.
What exactly do you propose that the US does?

We aren't the world's police force. I'm sick of sending our men and women to die when a problem does not concern us. It may sound harsh, but we cannot stop every atrocity in the world.

But there is no genocide in Hong Kong.

As for the Uighurs, I want to learn more about that. I honestly do not trust everything we are learning from from western media sources on the matter, just like I don't trust everything we're told from the west about North Korea and its leaders, which often turn out to be false (e.g. the numerous rumors of the DPRK leader dying, only to have him resurface the following week). We may not support the "reeducation" efforts of much of the population by the PRC, but (1) this is nothing unique to the Uighurs in China and (2) the PRC was facing a legitimate terrorist threat in that region responsible for the deaths of more than 1,000 people over the last several decades. If "reeducation" is what it takes to stamp out a radical Islamist terror threat in a region (and I note that the reported number of deaths have plummeted since these efforts began), maybe there is something more to this than initially meets the eye https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terror...idents_by_year

To close, I note that "our" efforts to stamp out radical Islamists led to the deaths (directly and indirectly) of hundreds of thousands and the displacement of many more throughout the Middle East. Do we really have a leg to stand on in criticizing China over the Uighur policy?

Old 01-02-2022, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I honestly do not trust everything we are learning from from western media sources on the matter, just like I don't trust everything we're told from the west about North Korea and its leaders, which often turn out to be false (e.g. the numerous rumors of the DPRK leader dying, only to have him resurface the following week). We may not support the "reeducation" efforts of much of the population by the PRC, but (1) this is nothing unique to the Uighurs in China and (2) the PRC was facing a legitimate terrorist threat in that region responsible for the deaths of more than 1,000 people over the last several decades. If "reeducation" is what it takes to stamp out a radical Islamist terror threat in a region (and I note that the reported number of deaths have plummeted since these efforts began), maybe there is something more to this than initially meets the eye https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terror...idents_by_year

I note that "our" efforts to stamp out radical Islamists led to the deaths (directly and indirectly) of hundreds of thousands and the displacement of many more. Do we really have a leg to stand on in criticizing China over the Uighur policy?[/b]
well on this, I respectfully disagree.

I actually trust western media sources because there are many different "voices". Taking the vaccination as one example, I've heard the vaccination works, I've heard the vaccination does not work, I've heard bill gates is making all the profits, I've heard government has put a tracing device in the vaccination, and the list goes on and on and on lol I can figure out what is true what is not.

In China, there is only one voice: Americans made the virus, and Americans are miserable because many have covid. America is out of control, all the blah blah. If somebody even suggested coronavirus might be accidentally leaked out of the lab, see what happens.

I agree with many points that you made, but let's try putting things in perspective just to be fair and balanced.

This said, I will tell you this, I have a hard time figuring out what is worse: fake news all over the place, or censorship to control information in the news, online, and on social media. lol

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 01-02-2022 at 06:43 PM..

Old 01-02-2022, 06:45 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well on this, I respectfully disagree.

I actually trust western media sources because there are not just one "voice". Taking the vaccination as one example, I've heard the vaccination works, I've heard the vaccination does not work, I've heard bill gates is making all the profits, I've heard government has put a tracing device in the vaccination, and the list goes on and on and on lol

In China, there is only one voice: Americans made the virus, and Americans are miserable because many have covid. America is out of control, all the blah blah. I agree with many points that you made, but let's try putting things in perspective just to be fair and balanced.
To be clear, I'm not saying that I trust what's coming out of China either inherently. The government runs too tight of a ship there and controls all of the official areas of information.

Still, I respect your position. From where I stand, though, on the Uighur situation, the mainstream American media speaks with one voice on the matter, and one that downplays the threat of Islamic terrorism that China faced from radicals in the Uighur regions. Sure, western reporting touches on these points, but they'll mention that China "alleges" that reeducation efforts are in place to combat extremism and terrorism, while speaking authoritatively on other points. Surely, they are able to find sources to confirm the presence of terrorism in these areas just like they have found sources to confirm the presence of these camps (both government and other sources) In short, despite the wealth of information, the mainstream reporting in this country tends to be in a common voice.

Where we are blessed in the US is that, and going to your point, there are other avenues that do reach a lot of people. But, increasingly, when they run narratives that are counter to the mainstream media and political class narrative, they are shut down, banned from social media, flagged as "lies," etc.

Old 01-02-2022, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
To be clear, I'm not saying that I trust what's coming out of China either inherently. The government runs too tight of a ship there and controls all of the official areas of information.

Still, I respect your position. From where I stand, though, on the Uighur situation, the mainstream American media speaks with one voice on the matter, and one that downplays the threat of Islamic terrorism that China faced from radicals in the Uighur regions. Sure, western articles touch on them, but they'll mention that China alleges that reeducation efforts are in place to combat extremism and terrorism, while speaking authoritatively on other points. In short, despite the wealth of information, the mainstream reporting in this country tends to be in a common voice.

Where we are blessed in the US is that, and going to your point, there are other avenues that do reach a lot of people. But, increasingly, when they run narratives that are counter to the mainstream media and political class narrative, they are shut down, banned from social media, flagged as "lies," etc.
Got it, well said and I agree.

Old 01-02-2022, 07:48 PM

2,367 posts, read 909,253 times
Unless you can read Chinese, any news article "coming out of China" was purposely written in English for a targeted audience. You're not reading what people in China are reading.

Old 01-02-2022, 07:53 PM

1,870 posts, read 649,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
If you are an American, I wonder if you worry about your future?

Just look around you? What do you see?

U.S. companies relocate to other corners of the world in order to pay their employees very little and government encourages this. Good employment opportunities domestically are shrinking and I am not talking about the many low pay service jobs. Many people who would have formerly held these higher paying skilled jobs are forced into the only careers available; retail, restaurants, and other service jobs where the pay does not meet one’s needs. While unions were desperately needed at one time, their demands grew out of control, demanding ever-higher pay and benefits even in sectors that were no longer profitable. They are partly to blame. We also need officer salary caps, especially on publicly traded companies. More profits need to be handed down to shareholders and lower tier employees rather than having officers make 100 million or more salaries. To the fat-cats of corporate America, this is a big grown-up game of Monopoly where they horde as much wealth as possible while everyone else suffers.

Our medicare system is a total disaster. By the 2030s or early 2040s things will be gravely worse, with an ageing population and fewer people paying into social security than drawing from it.

Infrastructure has begun to suffer. Our city roads aren't built to withstand the burgeoning population. Roads most everywhere are in terrible shape, and bridges are a nightmare - old and deteriorated as they are - and in need of expensive care.

I can go on and on and on...

What are we going to blame when we become a second or third world country? China? Please..

Wake up.
So the solution is to have federal government control of as much as possible, in other words, be more like China.

Old 01-02-2022, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderic View Post
So the solution is to have federal government control of as much as possible, in other words, be more like China.
Never said that. But whatever
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies