Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2021, 09:23 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,708,779 times

Advertisements

My parents have lived in a small mountain town in rural Western NC for about 20yr. They moved there for a slower pace lifestyle. Over the past 10yr, yankees have moved in droves. What was once a quaint mountain town with polite people now has rude drivers, rude customers in stores, and of course an increase in cost of living. Almost all of my parents' neighbors are northerners and they mock my parent's southern accent and say they don't pronounce things correctly.

If my parents wanted to deal with rude yankees, they would move to New York.

I get why yankees want to move south. The housing is cheaper, taxes are lower, and the weather is better. My parents say that anyone is welcome as long as they aren't rude and can fit in. But many yankees fail at this. Just yesterday I witnessed a guy with a thick northern accent telling the cashier "you need moah cashieahs heah". They just don't understand that in the south, we aren't blunt like that and say things like "wow, y'all are really busy and I'm sad to see you have to work by yourself".

So my question is when will yankees stop moving here? Once housing costs are the same as they are up north?

Old 12-12-2021, 09:28 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,517,696 times
I wish this kind of post surprised me. But it doesn't. We're all Americans and free to travel throughout the country. Even move if we won't to.

Old 12-12-2021, 09:29 AM

3,406 posts, read 1,903,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
My parents have lived in a small mountain town in rural Western NC for about 20yr. They moved there for a slower pace lifestyle. Over the past 10yr, yankees have moved in droves. What was once a quaint mountain town with polite people now has rude drivers, rude customers in stores, and of course an increase in cost of living. Almost all of my parents' neighbors are northerners and they mock my parent's southern accent and say they don't pronounce things correctly.

If my parents wanted to deal with rude yankees, they would move to New York.

I get why yankees want to move south. The housing is cheaper, taxes are lower, and the weather is better. My parents say that anyone is welcome as long as they aren't rude and can fit in. But many yankees fail at this. Just yesterday I witnessed a guy with a thick northern accent telling the cashier "you need moah cashieahs heah". They just don't understand that in the south, we aren't blunt like that and say things like "wow, y'all are really busy and I'm sad to see you have to work by yourself".

So my question is when will yankees stop moving here? Once housing costs are the same as they are up north?
They will stop moving South when they've succeeded in turning all Southern states Blue! Georgia is a great example of that!

Old 12-12-2021, 09:32 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,281,411 times
I had thought about moving to Greenville SC at some point but the overpriced housing market put the lid on that. I'm not going to overpay just because other people overpay. I've become used to where I am anyways. I don't know if I'd want to move to an area that is all forest with twisty, hilly roads at this point. I like being able to see 20 miles in any direction and have flat straight roads.

I realized I went a bit off topic and cut my post back. In any case the vast majority like warmer weather, that's why they move south. It's one reason I'm not particularly concerned about CO2 levels rising in the next couple decades and some warming. It will probably have more positive than negative effects at least until the CO2 levels reach around 1000 PPM... we don't want to go much higher then that, but will become carbon neutral species long before that happens.

If so many people are willing to pile into Florida then clearly the planet is not warm enough for humans yet.

Last edited by sholomar; 12-12-2021 at 09:43 AM..

Old 12-12-2021, 09:37 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,801,283 times
The ignorance of sin in all of this is... Northerner's want to change where they move to... into where they came from. That unto itself make no sense. Dumb, stupid.

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of ... and everyone said, insane.

Who doesn't love people who appreciate a chance to start a new life, in a new place and show some grace in doing so?

9,434 posts, read 4,250,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
They will stop moving South when they've succeeded in turning all Southern states Blue! Georgia is a great example of that!
I’m sure it’s more a financially motivated move vs a political one. I know many who moved to Georgia because of a job, not because of they wanted to switch the state to blue.
Some were in the music business, others in tech and finance, a few were off to teach at Emory or Georgia tech.
That they were changing the voting pattern was just a bonus.

12,905 posts, read 15,655,576 times
They will never stop. The Baby Boomers are a huge generation and they are all retired or retiring. Fact is, as you get older, it gets harder and harder to want to tolerate the cold weather. Many of my in-laws were/are diehard New Englanders but they even couldn't take it as they got older and have moved either south or west.

That whole boomer generation is going shift towards the south and make up a good part of the population in the south. You'll just have to get used to their annoying northern behaviors.

Old 12-12-2021, 09:41 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,250,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
They will never stop. The Baby Boomers are a huge generation and they are all retired or retiring. Fact is, as you get older, it gets harder and harder to want to tolerate the cold weather. Many of my in-laws were/are diehard New Englanders but they even couldn't take it as they got older and have moved either south or west.

That whole boomer generation is going shift towards the south and make up a good part of the population in the south. You'll just have to get used to their annoying northern behaviors.
As they will have to get used to annoying southern behaviors. It works both ways.

Old 12-12-2021, 09:42 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,655,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
As they will have to get used to annoying southern behaviors. It works both ways.
That is absolutely the truth!

Old 12-12-2021, 09:42 AM

45,221 posts, read 26,427,822 times
They'll stop when its not much different than where they left.
Here in middle TN we are watching home prices equalize with the coasts. Taxes cant be too far behind.
Its funny, I deal with the public and the natives (and transplants who’ve been here for a decade or more), are complaining loud and hard about the inundation of transplants. The recent emigre's do their part complaining about the lack of this or that, they had “back home”.
I call it the Beverly Hillbilly’s in reverse. They struck gold selling a crappy 2,000 sq ft home in CA for a million dollars and are moving to low price and low tax (for now) Tennessee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.