Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 08:13 AM

1,866 posts, read 932,849 times

Advertisements

Alexa, Amazon’s virtual assistant, is not designed to endanger human lives but that’s exactly what it did over the weekend when it told a 10-year-old girl to touch a live electrical plug with a penny.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/29/amaz...challenge.html

I imagine this type of thing is only going to become more common in the future. What a strange world we're now living in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2021, 08:17 AM

61,646 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Alexa doesn't know who is asking. It's the same with Google search or any Internet search.
More dangerous dares are posted daily on TicToc.

There should be some sort of parental controls to implement, if you have kids at home.

BTW: not sure how "easy" is to actually touch live electrical outlet with a penny.
Try it and report back.

Old 12-30-2021, 08:20 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Alexa doesn't know who is asking. It's the same with Google search or any Internet search.
More dangerous dares are posted daily on TicToc.

There should be some sort of parental controls to implement, if you have kids at home.

As if Alexa telling an adult to do this is ok?

Old 12-30-2021, 08:23 AM

8,956 posts, read 2,554,167 times
Meh, it likely wouldn't have killed the girl, just hurt.....and if she's dumb enough to earn that Darwin Award, it's kind of on the parents and the mentally deficient genes they passed on to her.

Old 12-30-2021, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
As if Alexa telling an adult to do this is ok?
Probably not, but nowadays you can search for any question. You don't even need to type it, just say.
If you think that your kids will ask inconvenient questions you should reduce/screen their access to the Internet (Alexa capabilities).

BTW: most outlets have safety feature blocking access to the live wire.

Try to get into the live wire with a penny and make actual connection...

Old 12-30-2021, 08:35 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
I've never actually touched a live residentual 120 volt AC line while messing around swapping recepticles... I wasn't aware it likely wouldn't kill you but just be quite unpleasant if you did. In any case tamper resistant receptacles are part of the electric code now in all new home constructions.

When I rewired all the receptacles in my previous home I used tamper resistant just for the heck of it. My father's house built in 1989 has a very weird configuration where the bathroom receptacles are wired in with the garage door opener and the outlets outside the house using 14 gauge wire on a 15 amp circuit which is not to today's electrical code at all which requires dedicated 20 amps for each bathroom but back then it would let them save 50 bucks worth of copper wire and a breaker or two. When I was on vacation the GFCI outlet in his bathroom crapped out causing the garage door opener to stop working.

Sometimes you do need government regulations to keep people doing things properly and not cutting corners to save money. I don't see the Alexa issue being something large-scale. They catch it get a lawsuit fix it and you shouldn't have a problem again.

Old 12-30-2021, 08:43 AM

7,329 posts, read 3,514,319 times
when i was a kid i stuck a fork in an outlet. learned my lesson quickly.

Old 12-30-2021, 08:47 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
It's better to have kids learn through experience than living in a sheltered bubble. I was shocked to see that my cousins still allow my nieces and nephews to wander around outside even in the winter relatively unsupervised where is my sister sheltered my nephew in a virtual bubble and wouldn't let him do anything. I just assumed all parents these days were hyper-sensitive overprotective never allow their kids to experiment types but it's good to see that we still have some Old School parenting going on.

Like above poster said stick fork in outlet learn lesson quickly.

Old 12-30-2021, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
Two of three three “holes” in a common US power outlet are utterly harmless. You could stick your tongue in there (if it would fit) and absolutely nothing would happen. The third hole (the shorter vertical slot on the right) is “hot” and is potentially dangerous if you happen to complete the circuit between it and ground.
This is an unlikely occurrence and realistically would only happen if a child stuck two forks in the outlet - one into that hot slot and the other into one of the other two.

Old 12-30-2021, 08:52 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Im not sure Alexa can actually be called an 'AI'...its not really sentinent, its just recognizes words and utilize the internet to search for matches it can take no physical action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies