Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2021, 11:25 AM

2,953 posts, read 993,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevv View Post
We have taken 2 cruises this year, will cruise again in February.
Same here. One in Nov, one in Dec and then a long one to Portugal, Spain and Morocco in March '22. I think Omicron will peak soon and be well on the wane by end of Jan so I'm not too worried about the March cruise coming off.

Everything has gotten crazy expensive during Covid. Home remodelling and building, appliances, cars etc etc ... but I've discovered a couple of exceptions and one of them is cruises. If you bothered to book during the dark days of 2020 when the cruise lines all thought they were going to expire then you got some hellacious good deals. Free drink packages, suite upgrades, excursions, blah blah. The other covid bargain I've discovered is Harleys. That one may not mean anything to you but it's fed my addiction quite nicely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2021, 11:25 AM

8,244 posts, read 3,495,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
I cruised two weeks ago. Had a lovely time. Everyone wore masks when up and moving around. Took them off when seated. No one got sick. No one died. I did get a mighty good tan though.
Yes, because the virus knows not to spread if someone is sitting down.

Old 12-31-2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
As for the CDC’s recommendation to avoid cruising….Jan- Feb 7 day cruises tend to appeal to older and likely more vulnerable passengers. To fill the ships in January, huge discounts are typically offered to nursing home residents who are capable of travel. Not unusual for a few to pass away while onboard, under the best of circumstances.
Even pre-covid it was common to lose 2-4 passengers on a Princess cruise which as I'm sure you already know is a favorite of elderly with $$. Tickers go out. Staircases get tumbled down. There are worse ways to go.

Old 12-31-2021, 11:31 AM

156 posts, read 154,769 times
Cruises are one of the safest vacations to take right now. I have done both Cruies and land vacations this year and I am boarding a cruise in 9 days again. No where else can you go where you are assured that everyone is vaccinated and had a recent negative test. The crew clean the public areas of the ship 24/7. I was at Universal this summer - that was much much much more likely to spread covid than any cruise, try Harry Potters world and tell me I am wrong. The CDC is just a useless organization now - I liken them to the Wizard on Wizard of Oz - pay no attention to the man behind the Curtain - CDC is that man behind the curtain and should never be taken seriously or have anyone gives a ratt's butt about anyting they say.

Old 12-31-2021, 11:36 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,986,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Yes, because the virus knows not to spread if someone is sitting down.
Everyone on the ship tested negative. It’s a low risk environment. Besides that, Covid is a big ole nothing burger to those of us who’ve had it.

Old 12-31-2021, 11:47 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
It was a relatively decent summer- fall for cruising.

We took a pass because of concern we might test positive and not be allowed to fly home as planned. The thought of having to quarantine in an $$$ hotel room for 2 weeks was more than I cared to entertain.

Amsterdam in May is lovely. Which intineary? Russia or the Fjords?

I am hoping for a Copenhagen run to Boston in July with 7 ports of call in Iceland and 3 ports in Greenland.
We've gotten were we really like Holland America and will be doing the Baltic Sea 14 Day Cruise that includes St Petersburg, Denmark, Sweden, ect. I had an email from the Consulate that the Netherlands has gone into a 10 day quarantine for anyone arriving. If that stays in place I'm sure the cruise will be cancelled.

The ships are only 50-60% full so you get really great service and upgrades.

Our Mediterranean cruise in Sept was originally scheduled in 2020 and cancelled 3 times by HAL. Our cruise was on of the 1st and we went to smaller ports that opened.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US...N14E/Y236.html

Old 12-31-2021, 11:50 AM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/c...vel/index.html

What's the end game here? Covid is not going away - nor was it ever going away.
There is no end game.

Liberals will never admit they wasted 2 years of everyone’s life over the common cold 2.0

Old 12-31-2021, 11:53 AM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Everyone on the ship tested negative. It’s a low risk environment. Besides that, Covid is a big ole nothing burger to those of us who’ve had it.
Mandatory tests and masks for a big ole nothing burger makes no sense.

Either we move on or go back into full lockdown, liberals need to make up their mind.

Old 12-31-2021, 11:59 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
Even pre-covid it was common to lose 2-4 passengers on a Princess cruise which as I'm sure you already know is a favorite of elderly with $$. Tickers go out. Staircases get tumbled down. There are worse ways to go.
Agree.

As you probably know, there are a few handful of older cruisers who made the decision to spend their remaining years aboard cruise ships. Those with the funds travel the world, meet new people and the crew takes really good care of them.

Old 12-31-2021, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Agree.

As you probably know, there are a few handful of older cruisers who made the decision to spend their remaining years aboard cruise ships. Those with the funds travel the world, meet new people and the crew takes really good care of them.
Yeah it's a good model. You get to go everywhere and your 'house' goes with you. Never clean or cook again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies