Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2022, 01:54 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,793,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
The major health insurance companies also have massive pools of people paying into them, and no over-65 year olds using any benefits from those pools of money. It's the over-65 crowd that uses most health benefits, not the young healthy families.
Yet we have exactly zero examples of UHC in this country that actually succeeded (or even exists) at a state/local level. That's the whole point of having 50 different states with self-governance, isn't it?

If you want UHC, prove that it can succeed at an acceptable cost in a US context.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2022, 01:55 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layden85 View Post
I’ve heard this from our governer in IL and others as well as dr’s on tv but then a few nurses and dr’s I know say the ER’s are not overwhelmed with Covid patients. What is the truth? Would dr’s on tv outright lie? Are they misinformed. Are the people I know experiencing something different depending on the hospital?
My wife's hospital is busy but NOT OVERWHELMED.

Old 01-02-2022, 03:36 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,861,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Local nurse and friend of mine took to our community’s social media to plead with folks to do two things. Get vaccinated was second. What was first, you might ask? Stop going to the emergency department for cold-like symptoms and tests. She kept saying, “If your symptoms wouldn’t have made you come to the ED three years ago, for the love of God stay home now!”
Exactly. Every one I know in healthcare says the same thing.
It’s the goddam TV spooking the crap out of everyone.

Old 01-02-2022, 04:25 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,309,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Of course vaccination status, including full and up to date status, is now a more complicated and evolving metric.

My impression is that the bulk of those counted as unvaccinated so far are at zero jabs.
that's your "impression" based on what info is being fed to you. We don't know. They have only in the last couple of months in some states broken it down by vaxxed and "unvaxxed". But they do define "unvaxxed" as "not 2 weeks past 2nd dose" (and whatever the gap for J&J is), and it's not unbelievable that without saying so they have indeed made a shift to "unboosted but eligible" qualifying as unvaxxed.

As of now, there have been 296MM Pfizer doses administered, but only 269MM are double [(116M) + boosted (37MM)]. That's 30MM "unvaxxed", and another ~20MM Moderna "unvaxxed". (unvaxxed = single dose).

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tra...min-rate-total

Old 01-02-2022, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
In some hospitals yes. It’s a fact some have died not getting care for a different illness due to lack of a bed. I just had a painful reaction to some meds and went to the ER. I was given some pain meds gave blood etc. and they did do a Cat scan, then I was returned to the lobby. The entire time I was in the ERs waiting lobby. Never got a room or sat inside. They discharged me saying I might have had a kidney stone - need to see a neurologist. What can I say. No beds available.
you had a painful reaction to meds. and went to the ER. Didn't call the Doctor that prescribed them. And they doubled down on this "drug reaction" with additional medication. And gave you a CAT scan. And you were in a lobby (sat inside). And they say maybe a kidney stone, for which you should see a neurologist (brain function doc).

Old 01-02-2022, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The last time I tried to get a dermatologist appointment on my local free market health care scene, the next available one was like six months out. So not that different than the Euro option, which would at least be way cheaper.
what was your need?

I needed a spot looked at and biopsied, and had an appt the next week. Of course, all "regular/routine care" is scheduled way out now, because of the pent-up demand and "protocols".

Old 01-02-2022, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
And yet the folks who have Medicare often get far zippier and cost-effective health care than I get via the all mighty free market.
Medicare with the extra Parts (premiums) and usually co-pays.

Old 01-02-2022, 08:54 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
that's your "impression" based on what info is being fed to you. We don't know. They have only in the last couple of months in some states broken it down by vaxxed and "unvaxxed". But they do define "unvaxxed" as "not 2 weeks past 2nd dose" (and whatever the gap for J&J is), and it's not unbelievable that without saying so they have indeed made a shift to "unboosted but eligible" qualifying as unvaxxed.

As of now, there have been 296MM Pfizer doses administered, but only 269MM are double [(116M) + boosted (37MM)]. That's 30MM "unvaxxed", and another ~20MM Moderna "unvaxxed". (unvaxxed = single dose).

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tra...min-rate-total
It is going to change, if not already. But most data is now old. In a relative sense, since things change so quickly in the Pandemic.

Old 01-02-2022, 08:59 PM

4,507 posts, read 4,046,465 times
Weren’t the liberals delaying cancer treatments and testing because of muh covid?

Old 01-02-2022, 09:06 PM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layden85 View Post
I’ve heard this from our governer in IL and others as well as dr’s on tv but then a few nurses and dr’s I know say the ER’s are not overwhelmed with Covid patients. What is the truth? Would dr’s on tv outright lie? Are they misinformed. Are the people I know experiencing something different depending on the hospital?
Probably depends on the hospital my uncle's hospital is not necessarily overwelmed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies