Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 05:06 AM

37,963 posts, read 17,957,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I obey the law.

I have never been arrested, had a moving violation or even a parking ticket.

In the unlikely event, if I were to be arrested, making my booking photo available to the public would be devastating.

An arrest is not a conviction.

BTW, the legislation in Oregon passed with bipartisan support.
It's almost like you just typed something without researching it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take a History Class View Post
Do you have anything to back up your assertion that it was a bipartisan bill? Legiscan refers to it as as "strong partisan bill" and the final vote in the Oregon Senate shows not a single Republican voted for this. Please refer to this link.

https://legiscan.com/OR/rollcall/HB3273/id/1095380
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2022, 05:28 AM

23,824 posts, read 24,199,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I obey the law.

I have never been arrested, had a moving violation or even a parking ticket.

In the unlikely event, if I were to be arrested, making my booking photo available to the public would be devastating.

An arrest is not a conviction.

BTW, the legislation in Oregon passed with bipartisan support.
Hang on.

You directly acknowledged that an arrest isn't the same as a conviction.

But before that, you said having your photo published would be "devastating."

Please explain. That doesn't make sense.

Old 01-03-2022, 05:30 AM

BTW, this law is 100% because of the journalism performed by Andy Ngo. The Oregon government is now under Antifa control.

Old 01-03-2022, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
It's almost like you just typed something without researching it.
That poster is one of the most sincere, if not the most sincere, posters on this forum. I'm rather fond of her, for that reason.

But she's not all that well informed. It makes me sad.

Old 01-03-2022, 05:53 AM

6,456 posts, read 2,781,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take a History Class View Post
Do you have anything to back up your assertion that it was a bipartisan bill? Legiscan refers to it as as "strong partisan bill" and the final vote in the Oregon Senate shows not a single Republican voted for this. Please refer to this link.

https://legiscan.com/OR/rollcall/HB3273/id/1095380
And in the Oregon House 17 out of 23 Republicans voted IN FAVOR the bill(4 voted against and 2 Absent).

https://legiscan.com/OR/rollcall/HB3273/id/1062268

This only requires the removal of the Mug Shot up until the time the person is convicted. If they are convicted then they can still be released.

One main issue is the "Pay for Removal" sites that grab and basically blackmail someone to remove a mugshot photo from their site from people that were only arrested but not convicted.

The bill however doesn't seem to go far enough. As it allows these sites to still charge up to $50 to have them remove a person's photo. If a person's mugshot shows up on several sites this could still be a few hundred dollars a person could end up paying.

Quote:
This new law also creates rules for those who operate publish-for-pay products. They must comply with requests for removal and destruction of mugshots within 30 days. The deadline is reduced to seven days if the person making the request was acquitted, pardoned or otherwise not prosecuted for the crime.

They can no longer have "conditions" for these photos to be removed and are limited to charging no more than a $50 fee.
A bill also allows people to sue these sites if they fail to remove the mugshots.

Old 01-03-2022, 08:21 AM

6,800 posts, read 5,691,112 times
These mug shot displays seem to contradict the theory of innocent until proven guilty.

Old 01-03-2022, 10:26 AM

47,070 posts, read 26,179,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
I always thought it was wrong to go and paste people's photos and news stories in the paper for alleged crimes before they were convicted I support this law. It becomes basically guilty until proven innocent in the eyes of Joe public.
That's pretty much how I see it. And I see someone already brought up the scummy "Pay for Removal" sites.

Old 01-03-2022, 10:33 AM

6,242 posts, read 2,974,883 times
Once something is online, it's out there forever. I don't like the idea of ANY public record being on the internet. Identity thieves use it to their advantage, especially home title theft. There's a big difference between looking up a public record online (which can be done by anyone, anywhere) and going to the records office and requesting a public record.

This new law doesn't prevent the news or newspapers from using mugshots. It's not as thought they're disappearing, altogether.

So, I actually agree with this.

Old 01-03-2022, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Once something is online, it's out there forever. I don't like the idea of ANY public record being on the internet. Identity thieves use it to their advantage, especially home title theft. There's a big difference between looking up a public record online (which can be done by anyone, anywhere) and going to the records office and requesting a public record.

This new law doesn't prevent the news or newspapers from using mugshots. It's not as thought they're disappearing, altogether.

So, I actually agree with this.
The internet is the new public square.

You're supporting censorship in the public square.

Tell me, where do you socialize, besides the internet? How does your socialization now compare to how you socialized pre-1990?

Still agree with it? I hope not.

Old 01-03-2022, 02:17 PM

19,772 posts, read 10,217,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
I always thought it was wrong to go and paste people's photos and news stories in the paper for alleged crimes before they were convicted I support this law. It becomes basically guilty until proven innocent in the eyes of Joe public.
The only ones they post here are people who are on bond and did not show up for court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies