Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 09:10 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Are they actually sick or are they just testing positive?
A friend and co-worker is actually pretty sick. Missed work yesterday and will likely not be at work tomorrow. Ironically, I have worked a few live events and goto a movie and yet I'm fine and not sick. I'm boosted, not sure if she was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2022, 09:25 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,909,762 times
Guys, stop picking on poor old mush brain Brandon, this is not his problem, it's the states problem. The buck no longer stops with him..

Old 01-03-2022, 09:26 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Counties need to deal with their own schools and evaluate their own situation, not a president, not even a governor. No one wants schools closed. But they should be able to decide and that's means having a mask mandate if they choose.

Old 01-03-2022, 09:40 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Counties need to deal with their own schools and evaluate their own situation, not a president, not even a governor. No one wants schools closed. But they should be able to decide and that's means having a mask mandate if they choose.
So abolish the fed dept. of education

Old 01-03-2022, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
Guys, stop picking on poor old mush brain Brandon, this is not his problem, it's the states problem. The buck no longer stops with him..
It was never "Brandon"'s problem as it never was "Orange Man"'s problem. The only problem both Biden and Trump had was that, both wanted schools open. That isn't a bad call, in it of itself. It is coming back from a holiday break. This time last year, I had one in-direct and one direct contact due to holiday gettogethers and I was still a week out from getting the first shot. Add in, that in particular the Omicron variant is a little too contagious and you have a problem. Arizona got 14k cases, partially due to a backlog from labs closed on New Year's Day. Lines for tests are long again. Sadly Arizona is screwed because we have a governor that says "we follow the science" but blocks schools from enacting mask mandates. And people wonder why I think Ducey is a Ducebag...

Old 01-03-2022, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
So abolish the fed dept. of education
What do they have to do with a health pandemic.

Old 01-03-2022, 09:47 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
you are all for letting counties and localities decide if schools should stay open or not in the biggest health crisis of our times, but they cant decide on curriculum or what to serve for lunch?

Old 01-03-2022, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Just conservatives using the pandemic as an excuse to continue the push to abolish public instruction. The problem is firstly they are effectively killing 6m jobs and also charter schools aren't the best for students with Individual Education Plans (IEPs.) I talked to my previous Assistant Principal last year and she had one IEP meeting where the parents brought in an advocate just because the charter school that they went to the previous year did them dirty and drove that student out. That student is far from the only one, as charters are known for pushing out "undesirables." I don't see charters being any better with no public school option.

Old 01-03-2022, 09:53 PM

Quote:
you are all for letting counties and localities decide if schools should stay open or not in the biggest health crisis of our times, but they cant decide on curriculum or what to serve for lunch?
That is mostly up to districts. Also states do have a say, the problem is often times this is bogged down by using a test that is the same whether you have 20-30 students in a suburb, 40 students in an inner city or 8 students in some Podunk area. And mind you, I had a bad opinion of these standardized tests even before I even got the idea of working in education. I simply wasn't driven in high school. I was burnt out and did well because I just retained material and knew I can get a B by just breathing and pass the rest of the year with a C and maybe a fail for a quarter because I knew I could pass by passing the state test at the end of the year. I abused the broken system because the schools and state were too dumb to try and remedy it. In fact, it got worse by the time I graduated as more and more states were forced into by the road to Hell paved with good intentions that was NCLB.

Old 01-03-2022, 09:55 PM

Quote:
They follow a curriculum so I'm not sure what you are talking about. Counties don't decide it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies