Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 09:56 PM

45,303 posts, read 26,567,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
They follow a curriculum so I'm not sure what you are talking about. Counties don't decide it though.
Of course you dont
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2022, 10:03 PM

32,153 posts, read 15,162,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Of course you dont
So explain if you can

Old 01-03-2022, 10:08 PM

45,303 posts, read 26,567,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
So explain if you can
Imagine the effort…

Old 01-03-2022, 10:11 PM

32,153 posts, read 15,162,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Imagine the effort…
No effort at all. The state department of education decides the curriculum not counties.

Old 01-03-2022, 11:57 PM

1,014 posts, read 483,936 times
The governor of Hawai'i is still lying in the wee. He's waiting for the right time if this Omicron variant gets out of hand with increase coronavirus cases on a average daily basis. And hospitalization becomes more of the necessity and the beds gets filled with patients. That would be the last straw. If he does say something, it will probably be in February or March 2022. Closing down schools and going online again. All hours of operation at the malls become more restricted and limited. All hotels and restaurants back to 50% occupancy or just closed for a time. Then we'll see lawsuits filed against the state because people will be losing their jobs and losing their belongings because of a tight and runed down economy with no money going around. But they'll blame David Ige again. It hasn't pulled through yet, but it will if the economy shuts down again.

Old 01-04-2022, 12:12 AM

3,361 posts, read 1,251,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
How will schools be staffed when 25-40% of the teachers are absent due to testing positive, another 20+% absent due to quarantining due to exposure, and another significant percentage who have said, "Enough is enough. I'm outta here!" and left? There already weren't enough subs to staff the schools during previous surges. This one is the biggest so far, although thankfully not as deadly as the ones before.

What kind of instruction will children receive from the warm bodies who are put in front of classrooms, assuming that they can be found? Already movements are being made to allow people who have not earned college degrees to be used as emergency classroom teachers.

Pennsylvania is trying to make it easier for schools to find daily substitute teachers

Carthage School District adopts plan to attract substitute teachers

Whitmer signs bill expanding who can substitute teach amid shortage

I sense that there are no satisfying answers to any of the questions raised by responses to the pandemic.
When that happens you close THOSE schools for a week or two until things get under control at THOSE schools. You don't close down all the schools in that city or state.

I agree kids learn nothing with subs.What kind of instruction do you think kids received from a year and a half of "remote learning?"?

Old 01-04-2022, 12:12 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,986,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyCable View Post
The governor of Hawai'i is still lying in the wee. He's waiting for the right time if this Omicron variant gets out of hand with increase coronavirus cases on a average daily basis. And hospitalization becomes more of the necessity and the beds gets filled with patients. That would be the last straw. If he does say something, it will probably be in February or March 2022. Closing down schools and going online again. All hours of operation at the malls become more restricted and limited. All hotels and restaurants back to 50% occupancy or just closed for a time. Then we'll see lawsuits filed against the state because people will be losing their jobs and losing their belongings because of a tight and runed down economy with no money going around. But they'll blame David Ige again. It hasn't pulled through yet, but it will if the economy shuts down again.
Hawai'i is a bit different than most of the US and maybe hasn't seen Omicron in the numbers of the rest of the US. Hawai'i saw 3k cases. By comparison Arizona saw 14k and New York had 38k. Now per Capita maybe different, but the numbers are not super bad considering Hawai'i also has a 70+% vaccinated population but that doesn't say how many were boosted or had their second dose since September...

Old 01-04-2022, 12:15 AM

3,361 posts, read 1,251,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It isn't though. Governors and mayors use the whole thing as a political points game. I condemned Mayor DeBlasio for keeping the schools open while NYC was a COVID hot spot on March 2020. Many teachers used public transportation so if they didn't catch it at work, they got it on the bus, train or subway car.
Deblasio was an idiot for not closing them early on and an idiot again for keeping them closed for so long after we knew a lot more, could treat covid better had better testing etc.

Old 01-04-2022, 01:04 AM

7,500 posts, read 3,634,135 times
my district just announced the return of scientific safety measures such as plastic dividers on desks, no snack time, and no music class. the next step is A/B cohorts and half day school followed by complete virtual.

i feel so much safer now.

Old 01-04-2022, 05:15 AM

26,029 posts, read 13,045,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
How many of you insisting schools open have signed yourself up as substitute teachers?

A friend's district in Georgia has 50+ teachers who have already called out because they're sick with COVID and the school year hasn't begun. They don't have 50+ substitute teachers, much less enough substitute bus drivers or staff to fill in in the cafeterias. The current plan is to put as many kids as possible in gyms, libraries, and other large classrooms to they have some adult supervision.

You can't open a school if too many of the teachers and support staff are sick to run it.
What percent have the Omicron mild cold variety of Covid? Please provide link.

I just had Omicron last week, & I could easily run a 5K with that variant...sore throat and mild sniffles.

Used to be students would fake being sick to get out of school, and now teachers do it too.

Time to toughen up America, and work through mild colds.

If the entire USA gets Omicron, then Delta would be eliminated according to the schientists who say Omicron anti-bodies prevent Delta.

Now, if you get real Covid symptoms or test results, then get Monoclonoals, Ivemectin, or any other therapeudic in the first few days of the onset of symptoms, & your 99%+ assured of a speedy recovery.

Knowing the symptoms is key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies