Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2022, 10:47 AM

38,026 posts, read 22,203,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Teachers and their unions have to be the biggest crybabies in America today.
Unvaccinated school children are less of a concern than vaccinated adults. The teachers are insane, they have the vaccine, they wear masks, to close schools makes no sense at all. A quality education has never been a priority for the teachers unions, money and power is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2022, 11:13 AM

45,251 posts, read 26,502,350 times
“Only a fool would let his enemy teach his children!" ~ Malcolm X

Old 01-04-2022, 11:22 AM

4,388 posts, read 4,244,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
When that happens you close THOSE schools for a week or two until things get under control at THOSE schools. You don't close down all the schools in that city or state.

I agree kids learn nothing with subs.What kind of instruction do you think kids received from a year and a half of "remote learning?"?
And if the teacher absences are district-wide, then what?

The instruction that kids received remotely varied widely and wildly according to the teacher.

My students had a well-prepared lesson every day that where they could log in with me and work through the lesson and assignments together on Zoom (later Google Meet) or they could access them asynchronously and communicate with my through email or the embedded chat features. I assiduously answered the questions or posts in a timely manner to provide relevant feedback to each student. Very few students logged in regularly, but that was on them, not me.

According to my students, some of their teachers did little to nothing to help them learn the curriculum, and a few didn't even log in themselves. That should have fallen to the administration to deal with. They were also having to rein in some of the teachers who had unrealistic expectations about what could be accomplished remotely.

My students didn't learn as much French as they would have in a normal year, but they did master the basics to a certain degree. Two of the biggest issues was connectivity problems and students having to work their jobs during school hours to help support their families.

In any case, I am no longer part of the mix because I was not willing to put myself in harm's way every day in a building full of unvaccinated, unmasked students and staff. Everybody lost in this situation. I lost a career that I loved, my students lost a teacher who cared about them and their learning, and the district lost a teacher who strived every day to do the best job possible.

The coding academy where I am now has gone virtual for the next few weeks, even though there are only a dozen of us and we all wear masks except at lunch. I am highly motivated not to end up on a ventilator due to lung damage from exposure at school to everything from asbestos to black mold in the various classrooms I had over the years.

Every classroom must be staffed with an adult. Currently there is a supply-chain issue with having enough adults in the system to supervise all the children, much less teach them the curriculum. I think the point of having the districts go virtual is to break the chain of infection and allow all those currently infected to recover before going face-to-face. It creates complicated administrative problems when all schools in a district are on different calendars. If we could have a continued moratorium on state testing, it wouldn't matter so much which schools closed and when. But it all goes back to the testing-industrial complex who are currently reaping the rewards of needing more remediation product$.

Old 01-04-2022, 12:09 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,941,482 times
Quote:
Why not have Google or Apple design an AI program to do the teaching? Don’t tell me it’s not possible. Just eliminate the profession.
Where will you creat 6m jobs to replace that? That is 6m livelihoods you are messing with there.

Old 01-04-2022, 12:23 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,250,320 times
Quote:
Why not have Google or Apple design an AI program to do the teaching? Don’t tell me it’s not possible. Just eliminate the profession.
Bingo

They don’t want to work simply automate them out. Whole lot cheaper, too, and many should’ve already been put out to pasture.

Old 01-04-2022, 01:21 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,410,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Will he finally unleash his plan to end the virus quickly?

Don't worry, I hear it's going to go away when it warms up "like magic".

Old 01-04-2022, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Better yet, why not have robots supervise the children? One-time purchase price plus maintenance and updates. What child wouldn't love their robot teacher? What parent wouldn't love to know that no background check was required or that the teacher would always stick to the mandated curriculum? What's not to love about AI?

(BTW, I had my students tell Siri one day that they loved her and ask her if she loved them. Siri gave a variety of very entertaining answers, but she never said she loved them (back). I told my students to be careful of loving something that can't love you back!)

Old 01-04-2022, 02:15 PM

17,711 posts, read 6,962,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post

The instruction that kids received remotely varied widely and wildly according to the teacher.

My students had a well-prepared lesson every day that where they could log in with me and work through the lesson and assignments together on Zoom (later Google Meet) or they could access them asynchronously and communicate with my through email or the embedded chat features. I assiduously answered the questions or posts in a timely manner to provide relevant feedback to each student. Very few students logged in regularly, but that was on them, not me.

According to my students, some of their teachers did little to nothing to help them learn the curriculum, and a few didn't even log in themselves. That should have fallen to the administration to deal with. They were also having to rein in some of the teachers who had unrealistic expectations about what could be accomplished remotely.

My students didn't learn as much French as they would have in a normal year, but they did master the basics to a certain degree. Two of the biggest issues was connectivity problems and students having to work their jobs during school hours to help support their families.

In any case, I am no longer part of the mix because I was not willing to put myself in harm's way every day in a building full of unvaccinated, unmasked students and staff. Everybody lost in this situation. I lost a career that I loved, my students lost a teacher who cared about them and their learning, and the district lost a teacher who strived every day to do the best job possible.

The coding academy where I am now has gone virtual for the next few weeks, even though there are only a dozen of us and we all wear masks except at lunch. I am highly motivated not to end up on a ventilator due to lung damage from exposure at school to everything from asbestos to black mold in the various classrooms I had over the years.

Every classroom must be staffed with an adult. Currently there is a supply-chain issue with having enough adults in the system to supervise all the children, much less teach them the curriculum. I think the point of having the districts go virtual is to break the chain of infection and allow all those currently infected to recover before going face-to-face. It creates complicated administrative problems when all schools in a district are on different calendars. If we could have a continued moratorium on state testing, it wouldn't matter so much which schools closed and when. But it all goes back to the testing-industrial complex who are currently reaping the rewards of needing more remediation product$.
If you are that panicked about a virus with a less than 1% mortality rate, it's probably for the best that you retired from teaching. I would have serious doubts about having my kids taught by someone with your level of hysteria.

Old 01-04-2022, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
If you are that panicked about a virus with a less than 1% mortality rate, it's probably for the best that you retired from teaching. I would have serious doubts about having my kids taught by someone with your level of hysteria.
People my age and with my co-morbidities have suffered serious illness and death at a much higher rate than other cohorts have. It is a fact that the mortality rate for them significantly exceeds 1%.

I am part of a less than 1% incidence of a lot of different things, so I understand completely that 1% of 37600 teachers in my state is 376 teachers. Anything that can happen to one of them can happen to me. That's not hysteria--it's mathematics, one of the subjects that I am certified to teach.

If the risk of catching the virus was too high, which it was due to the people with whom I would have been working, or the risk of hospitalization or death was too great , as it is due to my aforementioned lung damage, age, and other morbidities, it was completely rational to decide to retire with a full pension, as I had been eligible to retire for nearly 10 years. I loved my job and was good at it, so I had no desire to leave until Covid came along.

You are probably part of a cohort with different characteristics than I am and thus you have a different expectation of the likelihood of serious illness and death. Your risk of hospitalization or death is likely much less than mine. You are also probable less risk-averse than I am with regards to health, just as I was less risk-averse to teaching in the inner city in what is now the deadliest city in the U. S for 2021. (I taught more than a couple of the people in jail for this past year's murders.)

We are different, you and I. That does not make me hysterical, although I don't know how you define hysteria. Hysterical teachers never lasted long at my school where I taught for nearly 30 years.

I doubt that you would have your kids in an inner-city school in any case.

Old 01-04-2022, 04:40 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,941,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post

Yep. We are essential employees so unless the state goes back into a stay at home order (which I don't see since Gov. Ducey wants to win points, and also since we have the vaccine, I don't see it as an option.) I had my first direct contact notice in about three months today. I'm not as worried as I was three months ago as I have been vaccinated AND boosted with my booster coming at about the time my last direct contact. The only problem is due to this I have to adapt what I do over the next week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies