Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 02:02 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times

Advertisements

I love dogs, don't get me wrong but there are too many horrific incidents of a pit bull killing/maiming people. Not just small children. It used to be Dobies and German Shepards. They were bred too much back "in the day". So I would never trust one of them again now and I have had them as pets long ago. Any dog could "snap" at any given moment. My Border Collie attacked and bit me and my dad one time. Pit Bulls though should not be allowed to be bred anymore. They are for one thing and one thing only...attacking. Why do dog fighters use Pit Bulls? They are fighting machines.

I used to have to walk by a neighbors yard and they had 3 Pit Bulls and though I was walking on the opposite side of the road they went mental every time and tried to break their chains and jump over the fence. I started carrying mace. (it was legal at the time) I never had to use it before I moved away but one day they DID jump the fence and the cops came and had to shoot the dogs to protect themselves. I'm sure glad it wasn't "my time" on any of my walk bys!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 02:04 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
If the dog is on my property, that means it is either feral, or that the owner is negligent to the point where it has escaped the owner's property. Either possibility bodes poorly for my own safety and the safety of those around me. Better to err on the side of caution.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:06 PM

It would also be appropriate for the owner of these dogs to be prosecuted with negligent homicide.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:08 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
How many dog fatalities a year in the USA?

How many fatalities involving swimming pools?

How many fatalities involving automobile accidents?

People focus on weird non-issues.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:09 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
True that, I used to work at a vet & it was actually the larger breeds, Rotts, Pitbulls, Doberman's etc. that were the sweetest. I have yet to come across a dangerous pitbull & I work a lot in the inner city where they are common. It totally depends on the owner & how they treat their dog. I would never adopt a "shoot on sight" policy for these dogs, what an assinine thought.
Adopting shelter dogs may be difficult in some cases where a pit bull is concerned because you don't know about his background. If I wanted a pit bull, I'd find a puppy. That way you're working with a clean slate.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
People focus on weird non-issues.
True, but certain risks (like swimming pools, buckets, stairs, etc.) are risks that families assume for themselves.

Dog attacks are alarming because they are risks foisted upon other people's children by outsiders. I think it's legitimate to discuss the proper sorts of deterrents or punishments for that type of behavior.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:22 PM

539 posts, read 2,102,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
The family of the victim is being looked into by CPS? That's right, blame the victim time. What 7 year old can not be 150 yards away from his/her house? Especially down in Texas?? That is crap. I am so glad my child bearing and rearing days are over! I'd land in jail. TG my parents did not have government to deal with raising me and I think Mom and Dad did a pretty decent job.
That was my first knee jerk reaction as well but as I read on it made more sense. The article did state that there are no records of reports on this family and that it is just normal procedure to investigate them. It sounds like the agency is just dotting its i's and crossing its t's. I wish all children's agencies were this thorough.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
I owned 3 pittbulls for over 13 years, my one female was probably the smartest most affectionate loyal dog I have ever had, " I have had Dogs all my life", the problem has become out of control bad breeding and irresponsible owners. If I saw a pittbull running loose anywhere near my home or family I would not hesitate to put a bullet in it!
I wish you lived near me! We have a pit bull that has shown itself to be ferocious in the neighborhood of our childrens' elementary school. The owners let it wander over to the school yard all of the time. We have contacted the authorities but nothing has been done about it. I believe they did speak with the owners but the dog still continues to wander. It really scares me as this dog has shown vicious behavior but it hasn't hurt anyone, yet. We as parents don't know what else we can do.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:29 PM

172 posts, read 769,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Here goes the debate again....only idiots own pit bulls...period. Ther are about 700-800 recognized dog breeds and thousands of mixed breeds waiting for adoption to choose from....yet DOPES and CRIMINALS keep pit bulls.

I shall puke the next time I read or hear somone defending these killing machines....how many more children will be MURDERED by people who haven't the brains to get a different breed.

I shall puke if I hear one more MORON saying ""Oh, my pit bulls are gentle and have never hurt anyone""".....YET!!!!!

Y E S I know other breeds CAN bite and CAN be trained to be vicious...but for the sake of future victims let's use a little common sense and get rid of this plague!!!!!!!!!
This is the best post on here. Good job! My best friend used to defend Pit Bulls until hers bit her on the thigh. She was in rehab for months. But wait...it was so "loyal" and was "different" than other Pits because she "raised" it the right way. Please.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Adopting shelter dogs may be difficult in some cases where a pit bull is concerned because you don't know about his background. If I wanted a pit bull, I'd find a puppy. That way you're working with a clean slate.
If I'm not mistaken the state of TX has solved this problem. I've seen this on Animal Planet's "Houston Animal Cops". They euthanize all pit bulls brought to the Humane Society. This breaks my heart but I'm sure the liability of placing pit bulls could be extreme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies