Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2022, 07:40 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,790,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I felt that was the way it was for me, mainly because I was taught to take a test, not to actually retain knowledge or be productive in society. I do not want that for my students. I want to teach them not the way I was teacher by most teachers, but teached like I was taught by my favorite teachers. Guess what, my students love the way I teach and learn a lot from me. Not just the three R's or when Washington crossed the Delaware, but rather life.
And if you're out sick, it's on your employer, the school, to find someone else to take over your classes (the product the government sold on the schools' behalf). "We can't find enough teachers" is not an acceptable excuse to not deliver. If they can't adequately service the students, it's on the school to provide a suitable replacement, as Gov Ducey has done by paying for private schooling.

You don't dispute that it's not the taxpayer's problem the useless admins that run your school can't find enough people to adequately service their students, do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2022, 07:41 PM

45,230 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
The union needs remote learning due to conditions for in-person learning being unsafe, inadequate testing as new Covid-19 new hospitalizations among children have been reaching record highs. But yet for this people want teacher's to be fired.

It is sickening how easily people can be turned into uncaring absolute mindless sheep.
while expecting door dash to bring them breakfast, lunch and dinner from their usual haunts.

Old 01-05-2022, 07:42 PM

46,276 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
That is true in a number of areas and fields. We are adding a lot of things to the plates of teachers and support staff. And not just things with the pandemic mind you. A lot of us are hitting our breaking points on our mental health. Threads like these, just add to it.
So, you are teacher, have not taught (in an actual class room) in 2 years, why or how are you hitting a breaking point?

But, please tell us what "we" are adding to the teachers and support staffs plate?

Old 01-05-2022, 07:54 PM

19,994 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip Mcnealy View Post
its almost as if software developer and school teacher are two completely different jobs.
The false equivalence I was pointing out was that where / how work is performed has something to do with how it should be compensated -- as opposed to whether requirements are met.

Or that the level of acclimatization we have to remote working in any given profession should be an input into compensation.

It's almost as if the desire to see an "agenda" in the union demands means we have to invent one, like working remotely (easier? in teaching, I rather suspect not) for the same (implicitly too much) pay.

I actually am very inclined to take union demands at face value in this particular case because remote work was never an issue before the pandemic and wouldn't plausibly be one afterwards. It's not easier to teach remotely, either. Whatever you think of teachers, or teachers unions, or the safety of teaching in the middle of a pandemic surge, it is safe to say that however misguided it may or may not be, they are serious about it being a safety concern.

Old 01-05-2022, 08:05 PM

4,511 posts, read 5,051,906 times
This is the moment that the mayor and city council of Chicago should declare the CTU is disbanded and no longer in charge of the schools. The CTU has for the last many years told the parents that 'if you don't go along with us and vote for us and give us what ever we want we will shut down the schools'. Well, the parents have given them everything and guess what, they say 'we're going to shut down the schools anyway' . Chicago has it's priorities backwards, the mayor and council control the police but let the CTU control them. Time to put on their big boy pants and take charge.

Old 01-05-2022, 08:29 PM

7,144 posts, read 4,738,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
oooohhhh, link us the news clip!
I looked for it and can’t find it (yet). If I do, will post it here.

Old 01-05-2022, 08:30 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Makes more sense to me that schools (on a town or district by district basis) would potentially close based of sheer number of absences at this point. My daughters high school has 98 students out on Monday - that doesn't include staff that called out sick so what exactly are kids doing in school on days where dozens of students are out and they are being taught by subs?

I think the real nut cases are those still whining about the left vs right crap. We are in CT (you know - one of those horrible blue hellholes you all keep complaining about) and as far as I am aware, there are no districts in CT that have closed or plan to at this point. Just because some areas are doing it doesn't mean they all are so stop painting everything with a broad brush.
This is the problem I see. Too many staff not in. AFAIK the magic number is 50% or more of staff out sick to close baring county board of health guidance.

Old 01-05-2022, 08:33 PM

9,414 posts, read 11,162,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Because there is this huge pool of thousands of qualified teachers out there just begging to teach inner city Chicago students at the ready to replace them?

Not enough do-gooders want to teach in hood and most of them will then head suburban schools or leave teaching entirely within three years. And it takes about that amount of time to get in the groove of good classroom management that lets you be a successful teacher.
Replacements are not the issue. An illegal strike is the issue. Work stoppage is the issue. Laziness is the issue. Unions have become extremely destructive and dysfunctional almost everywhere they've gone. Like many things, they started out on a good and worthy mission and corrupted into a worse-than-useless entity. I'd abolish ALL unions in our nation if I could. Just like I'd abolish at least half the agencies in the federal government who have mutated into corrupt self-perpetuating money sucking black holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
If they continue to do their jobs by showing up to work and teaching in person, they wouldn't get fired.
They are too lazy. They got spoiled, sitting around in their PJs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The teachers will stay home out of safety concerns while expecting service industry workers to provide for them.
It's not out of safety concerns. This plandemic is over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
What about the misery of the children not learning? Evidently you don't care.

Ummm, you know there has been basically no in school learning for about 2 years, yes?

Imagine all those first responders, nurses, fire fighters, etc....getting fired.
Indeed. This overboard closure of almost everything has been extremely destructive to the mental health, emotional and academic development, and general welfare of kids. Lower IQs, more drug use, more depression, more suicides and attempts, slowed social development. Teachers have an obligation.

Yes, let's fire cops, firefighters, EMTs, nurses, doctors, soldiers, Marines, sailors, airmen, coasties, but by all means give the poor precious teachers a pass.

My mother taught for over 50 years, she started in a very rural one-room schoolhouse in the deep south. She eventually got her master's from The Ohio State U, I remember her walking through the picket line at the high school she closed out her career at. She had a very strong dislike of the unions. For good reason IMO.

Old 01-05-2022, 08:38 PM

7,144 posts, read 4,738,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
The false equivalence I was pointing out was that where / how work is performed has something to do with how it should be compensated -- as opposed to whether requirements are met.

Or that the level of acclimatization we have to remote working in any given profession should be an input into compensation.

It's almost as if the desire to see an "agenda" in the union demands means we have to invent one, like working remotely (easier? in teaching, I rather suspect not) for the same (implicitly too much) pay.

I actually am very inclined to take union demands at face value in this particular case because remote work was never an issue before the pandemic and wouldn't plausibly be one afterwards. It's not easier to teach remotely, either. Whatever you think of teachers, or teachers unions, or the safety of teaching in the middle of a pandemic surge, it is safe to say that however misguided it may or may not be, they are serious about it being a safety concern.
The teachers are vaccinated. Severe illness and hospitalization are supposed to not happen. The kids don’t get much more than cold like symptoms. The kids suffered huge setbacks because of remote for two years. Parents have to monitor their kids at home. No, there’s no good reason for this.
Do those teachers stay home forever so they don’t get Covid? Do they go out to stores? Do they stay isolated because they’re so worried? I don’t think so. Our kids have suffered enough imo.
It’s always some lame excuse with Chicago teachers.

Old 01-05-2022, 08:54 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,237,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
useless sacks of crap.

"But 88% of the Chicago Teachers Union's leadership and 73% of its members voted on Tuesday in favor of remote education."
sounds about right, in my experience about 90 percent of teachers are totally useless.

People like to say teachers are underpaid. Most teachers are useless and overpaid. And then 5-10 percent are really good and underpaid.

Last edited by djohnslaw; 01-05-2022 at 09:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies