Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2022, 08:56 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,237,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
It's truly pathetic seeing some of the replies here. It's almost like they are begging for teacher's being forced to be fire due to simply worrying about their health. And for no reason, these teacher's decisions won't effect them in the slightest.

The one's wanting the teachers to be fired have collective mindset and the propaganda has worked 100% on them as they question nothing the talking heads (Fox News/Conservative government).

Humans are a terrible bunch and the ugliness is showing it's head these past 2 years.
they're almost all vaxxed, most are in no way high risk and you think this is about their health and not being even lazier and more useless than usual.

Now I'm sure there are some who are legit afraid of covid and are super high risk. But do you actually think 88 percent of teachers are just gonna then sit home all day since they're so afraid? Fat chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2022, 09:00 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,237,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
Your views are so sad, it's like you want to celebrate the misery of the teachers.

Imaging working in education in the frontline of Covid-19 for two years and getting fired now this country is going nuts.
"front line". I didn't know they were teaching in hospitals.
They spent most of it "teaching" remotely when the real risk was there.
Imagine a job with zero accountability whatsoever and a nice pension.
This isn't March 2020. The teachers union gives exactly 0 you know what's about their students.

Old 01-05-2022, 09:23 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
While I'm sure some of this is due to teachers not wanting to get COVID, the bigger issue is that many of them have COVID right now and given the positivity rates in the US, many more will have COVID by the end of the week. Who will teach the students? Drive the schoolbuses? Make lunch in the cafeteria? There aren't enough subs.

1200 Boston school district staff members, including 450 teachers, representing 10% of their total staff was out on Tuesday. The central office is filling in for classrooms, and there are lots of appeals for just about any warm body to come in to sub. In a suburban elementary school, a friend who is an elementary school art teacher is spending the week overseeing the cafeteria where 100 students are being babysat because there are not enough teachers to keep them in their classes (which themselves are small because so many students are out sick). The omicron variant may be mild in most people, but it does seem to have a pretty high rate of causing symptomatic illness. I can't imagine anyone seriously thinking that a teacher with COVID should teach in a poorly-ventilated classroom. Hell, i would say it is irresponsible for a teacher to teach (or any employee to go to work) when they have the cold!

Also, it's not just about testing positive yourself. I've seen a whole lot of toddlers on Zoom this week at work (where we've been asked not to come to work unless urgent because of the high positivity rate among staff with our own weekly testing) because so many daycares are closed due to outbreaks among staff. Several friends and aquaintances are double-teacher couples with kids whose daycares are closed or who live in neighboring districts where their schools are closed. One of those parents then has to call out.

Old 01-05-2022, 09:56 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
While I'm sure some of this is due to teachers not wanting to get COVID, the bigger issue is that many of them have COVID right now and given the positivity rates in the US, many more will have COVID by the end of the week. Who will teach the students? Drive the schoolbuses? Make lunch in the cafeteria? There aren't enough subs.

1200 Boston school district staff members, including 450 teachers, representing 10% of their total staff was out on Tuesday. The central office is filling in for classrooms, and there are lots of appeals for just about any warm body to come in to sub. In a suburban elementary school, a friend who is an elementary school art teacher is spending the week overseeing the cafeteria where 100 students are being babysat because there are not enough teachers to keep them in their classes (which themselves are small because so many students are out sick). The omicron variant may be mild in most people, but it does seem to have a pretty high rate of causing symptomatic illness. I can't imagine anyone seriously thinking that a teacher with COVID should teach in a poorly-ventilated classroom. Hell, i would say it is irresponsible for a teacher to teach (or any employee to go to work) when they have the cold!

Also, it's not just about testing positive yourself. I've seen a whole lot of toddlers on Zoom this week at work (where we've been asked not to come to work unless urgent because of the high positivity rate among staff with our own weekly testing) because so many daycares are closed due to outbreaks among staff. Several friends and aquaintances are double-teacher couples with kids whose daycares are closed or who live in neighboring districts where their schools are closed. One of those parents then has to call out.
Why would toddlers ever need to be on zoom? Are daycares really doing zoom meetings?

The district could just cancel the next two weeks of school and make those days up at the end of the year. Zoom is a terrible substitute for school. I’m shocked that anyone in their right mind would use it for toddlers.

Old 01-05-2022, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Why would toddlers ever need to be on zoom? Are daycares really doing zoom meetings?

The district could just cancel the next two weeks of school and make those days up at the end of the year. Zoom is a terrible substitute for school. I’m shocked that anyone in their right mind would use it for toddlers.

I do not work at a daycare. I am seeing my colleagues' children on our Zoom calls because parents are trying to work and take care of their children at the same time. Most of the kids are pretty well behaved, but I've also heard about Ethan's boo boo and how Aurora won't share before mom or dad could hit mute. If they did not have the option of working remotely, they would not be working at all until daycares open.

But also yes, during COVID, many daycares and preschools did have class over Zoom. Better than 8 hours of Cocomelon while mom and dad worked remotely.

Obviously, this is also the issue that parents are facing if the schools close. If there is a solution that doesn't involve covid positive people teaching in stifling classrooms, driving buses full of kids, or cooking food, I'm sure the schools would love the suggestion. I;m sure Chicago schools, like other districts, will reopen for in-person classes once this wave has passed and staffing has stabilized.

Old 01-05-2022, 10:35 PM

929 posts, read 399,241 times
Why can't parents just get a voucher to send their kids to private schools or any schools they want? If teachers are given a choice then parents should also be given a choice, isn't that fair?

Better yet, create 2 kinds of schools, one for Republican leaners and one for Democrat leaners--lets find out which school is more successful...

Old 01-05-2022, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
You know what? My wife is medical field and has been going to work, for TWO YEARS through this thing, and not complaining about it. She is doing the job she was hired to do.

Do you want to shut down the entire country again?

What type of ventilation is in your wife's workplace? How many people are in a room and for how many hours are 15-35 people congregating at once? What type of PPE does she have access to?

Old 01-05-2022, 10:43 PM

3,662 posts, read 2,943,593 times
Chicago should call the Marines and Army to see if they can donate some gas masks that are used in wars for these teachers. We have to find a way for these teachers to survive in this world. A gas mask should offer some protection against these kids. Hand them a microphone and gas mask and we should all be good.

Old 01-05-2022, 10:49 PM

Chicago Public Schools are shutting down because we are in the biggest COVID surge yet while facing the most virulent form of COVID we have experienced - in fact, the most virulent form of any illness most of us have experienced in our lifetimes.

While omicron may be milder on the whole for most (though certainly not all), teachers, staff and students of course should stay home if they test positive and certainly if they're sick. If the Chicago Public School system opened this week, how long before they closed because they didn't have enough staff to run the school and not enough subs to jump in? 10% of Boston Public School staff called out on Tuesday because they got sick at the tail end of break. With positivity rates what they are right now, what do you think the odds are that the schools will stay open through the end of next week?

Keep in mind that we're also in a flu surge. I'm on day 6 of the flu and it's nasty. The worst of the headcold is over, but I have no voice, am coughing up a lung, and am still running a fever. If I was a teacher, that would mean that just with the flu I would be out for 2 weeks. When I got tested for the flu and COVID, I also got tested for strep because that is going around as well. It's a perfect storm for teachers, staff and students to be sick.

The 2019 flu wasn't anywhere near as widespread as COVID, and yet school closures happened then too due to staffing issues or so many students out: https://www.usnews.com/news/health-n...son-progresses

When the numbers stabilize, schools will reopen just like most have been since fall 2020. Hopefully that will be possible in 2-3 weeks, but I would rather see teachers spend their time transitioning their lesson plans to remote learning than scrambling because they're sent home.

Old 01-05-2022, 10:52 PM

2,140 posts, read 361,917 times
This thread is alarming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies