Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2022, 03:11 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times

Advertisements

We moved out of Texas to a different Great Plains state in 2020 because of a stellar job opportunity.

The job is pretty good, pay is very, very good. (Less good due to inflation but still a good income.)

We dislike our new state immensely and hope to leave when our youngest is out of high school in a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2022, 03:27 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Moved from WA to OH primarily to support elderly parents. Perversely cost of living is actually higher here due to much higher taxes and inflation hitting the midwest harder than the coasts.

Soon as in-laws are gone we are out of here and back to a coast.

For me....gotta have a ski resort, a coast, or both.

(I've lived in CA, NV, and TX (my current state), and would only move to FL, TN, NV, or WA).

Old 01-06-2022, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
We moved out of Texas to a different Great Plains state in 2020 because of a stellar job opportunity.

The job is pretty good, pay is very, very good. (Less good due to inflation but still a good income.)

We dislike our new state immensely and hope to leave when our youngest is out of high school in a few years.

Part of Texas is in the Great Plains, but I've never heard anyone refer to Texas as a 'Great Plains state'.

Old 01-06-2022, 03:35 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,405,122 times
For those moving from Blue to Red, all us Red-staters just would really appreciate you all voting along with us rather than trying to make our place like the one you left.

All we can do is ask.

Old 01-06-2022, 03:39 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
What were your one-to-three most important reasons for moving?

I ask this because I am seeing an increasing number of threads suggesting that people are moving from blue states to red states mainly for reasons concerning politics and/or social issues. I actually doubt whether this is true.

As for my husband and myself, our reason for moving (in Summer 2020) was mostly because we wanted to retire to a four seasons climate, although politics was definitely a factor in our final decision. (We would not have moved anywhere in which more than 50% voted for Hillary OR where more than 55% voted for Trump. However, if we were making the decision today, we probably would have chosen a state that was about 55% red instead of a swing state.)
1- Hubby got a partnership opportunity.
2 - We always wanted to return to our home state.
3 - Escape the high cost-of-living and traffic of the Northern Virginia area.

Old 01-06-2022, 03:39 PM

2,335 posts, read 815,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
For those moving from Blue to Red, all us Red-staters just would really appreciate you all voting along with us rather than trying to make our place like the one you left.

All we can do is ask.
Of course you can ask. And they can do as they like, since there's no law against them moving there. Not to mention, not everyone gives a F about the childish labeling. Some of us actually deal with issues and don't care about political parties.

Old 01-06-2022, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
1) climate & beach

2) taxes...state income, corp, & property

3) politics more closely match my own than where I came from that was geoing down the tubes

For a number of reasons I don't think the rush/footrace/whatever someone wants to call it of people moving to Florida is going to slow down and, if DeSantis gets reelected/then gets elected President in '24/and is replaced in Florida by someone similar, then the pace may even increase.

Old 01-06-2022, 03:43 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
While I have not moved yet, I have spent the past few months seeking out the right opportunity in my homestate of Georgia. Top 3 reasons:

1. Cost of living. I make in the top 20% of earners in my HCOL state, but can't afford even average real estate within an hour of work and nothing at all (not even a studio condo) in the suburb I work in.

2. Weather. The snow and 6 months of cold is getting old.
3. Politics. I fled Georgia because it was a right wing cesspit. I have a lot of hope for its future as a purple state with Atlanta taking a progressive lead.

Old 01-06-2022, 03:44 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Quote:

All we can do is ask.
Blue state I came from was pretty magical and significantly less taxed while I made a ton of money just living in a house there thanks to appreciation. Why wouldn’t I want that to keep that going?

Old 01-06-2022, 03:49 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,793,632 times
Quote:

All we can do is ask.
Democrats are dead to me. 1) they've gone full-on commie, 2) I'm not insane, and 3) I have no interest in living in some dystopian hellhole where politicians with the intelligence of an average kitchen sink control every part of your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies