Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2022, 08:46 AM

5,067 posts, read 2,276,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
that the "Anti-vaxxer podcaster" was at the top of the news is very curious, since this happened Monday and had already been broadcast by those who care about individual Covid deaths.

Gorsuch's misstatement should be pointed out, although one could claim I'm sure that the flu does kill hundreds of thousands GLOBALLY, and he didn't specify in what I've read.

IOW, they both - and any others - should be making statements acknowledging their error or clarifying their statement.
On Gorsuch, if you go back and listen, there's a hesitation between hundreds and thousands, and there's no 'of' between the numbers. I think they're calling him out on a transcript error. Here's a link - sorry it's Twitter, but the link has the audio clip.

https://twitter.com/kerpen/status/1479652360779669504

"hundreds, thousands" is what I hear. Let me know what you think.

Edit: So... looking at some of the comments under the Twitter link. People are insane. They're blasting him now for comparing the flu to Covid, when his point is that we haven't asked a federal agency to institute vaccine policy for any other disease. It shouldn't matter how "deadly" the virus is. OSHA either has the authority to regulate, or not.

Last edited by swilliamsny; 01-08-2022 at 08:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2022, 09:01 AM

18,563 posts, read 7,368,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The question is larger than just this pandemic or this stage in the pandemic. Should they rehear cases and change the constitutional determination based on the variant in circulation at the moment? Fear not. This Court is nothing but a policy arm of the GOP. Any semblance of thoughtful deliberation is a sham.
The Court is left of center.

Old 01-08-2022, 10:29 AM

18,563 posts, read 7,368,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
The conservatives on SCOTUS face a hard decision. If they uphold personal body autonomy here, it will be harder to curtail abortion rights in those cases. I suppose the out is to just say that OSHA lacks the power to do this as an agency. But that wouldn’t stop health departments and other government entities from stepping in where OSHA gets cut off.
The issues are whether the Feds have the authority to make the decision and, if so, whether a dictator can do it when Congress chooses not to. If the Court says the Feds lack authority that implies they lack authority in regard to abortion, too, so you have it exactly backward.

Old 01-08-2022, 11:35 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times
What makes anybody think the Supreme Court is our friend and will make a correct decision? The fact that the SC actually agreed to hear and rule on this argument is mind boggling. This virus isn't Smallpox or the Black Plague!

Old 01-08-2022, 11:47 AM

37,963 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
The left is claiming that there is no actual mandate as you don't actually have to get vaccinated. It's either get vaccinated or submit to weekly testing. Unfortunately for them, that argument stills fails for the same reason that a strict vaccine mandate would fail. That is that OSHA lacks the legal authority to issue such a rule under its statute.
Yup, get vaccinated or the employee gets fired, unless the employer pays $14,000 fin each day, such a deal. They have already fired a dozen people at my job just this week, for not wanting to submit to getting vaccinated

Old 01-08-2022, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
What makes anybody think the Supreme Court is our friend and will make a correct decision? The fact that the SC actually agreed to hear and rule on this argument is mind boggling. This virus isn't Smallpox or the Black Plague!
At least a vaccine could eradicate smallpox, there is no way to "shut down this virus" even if every man woman and unborn child were vaccinated and boosted against it. It's a scientific fact.

Old 01-08-2022, 11:53 AM

34,045 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Can't wait to hear their decision.

Old 01-08-2022, 12:22 PM

3,646 posts, read 1,600,118 times
Quote:
Well the purpose of the SC is to reverse federal law that violates the Constitution. Federal law has created OSHA, and the president's job is to enforce it. No violation there. But what if a president instructs OSHA to include vaccine enforcement in the private workplace which it's never done before?

Lower federal courts have had mixed decisions about the mandate. That's when SC often steps in to decide a federal law that lower courts have had mixed rulings on.

I for one don't think workplace safety needs federal regulation, unless you are manufacturing firearms, explosives, drugs, alcohol, etc. If someone is manufacturing clothing why does that biz need federal regulation?

A virus has spread nationally, and crosses states borders. it's a national issue as long as the virus is in most states. Thus the feds should play a role and help states. Offer medical products, etc. That should be the approach of the feds.

Old 01-08-2022, 12:35 PM

Quote:
I've taken the Covid vaccine and the boosters because I'm immune compromised and elderly. I've never taken the Flu vaccine because I've never had the Flu. I like the fact that those decisions belong to me, not government.

This current desire to force people to vaccinate, all in the name of "safety", is chilling.
Yup, since the people vaccinated are considered by OSHA to be safe, since they do not even need to be tested, even though they leave work and interact with dozen and hundreds of people each week, who may or may not be vaccinated or even infected.

So this OSHA mandate really makes no sense at all. For one, COVID is not just a risk at the workplace, it's a virus that exists in everyone's daily life, and second, it will never go away, anymore than the common flu will go away.

Old 01-08-2022, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
Well the purpose of the SC is to reverse federal law that violates the Constitution. Federal law has created OSHA, and the president's job is to enforce it. No violation there. But what if a president instructs OSHA to include vaccine enforcement in the private workplace which it's never done before?

Lower federal courts have had mixed decisions about the mandate. That's when SC often steps in to decide a federal law that lower courts have had mixed rulings on.

I for one don't think workplace safety needs federal regulation, unless you are manufacturing firearms, explosives, drugs, alcohol, etc. If someone is manufacturing clothing why does that biz need federal regulation?

A virus has spread nationally, and crosses states borders. it's a national issue as long as the virus is in most states. Thus the feds should play a role and help states. Offer medical products, etc. That should be the approach of the feds.
The dems really screwed up, they should have foisted this OSHA mandate only on businesses with fewer than 100 employees. This way they would go a long way towards destroying small businesses. But once the SC rules in favor of this tyranny, I'm sure it will suddenly apply to all businesses, even people who work alone in their own private business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies