Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2022, 01:24 PM

8,414 posts, read 4,571,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
No. That does not even make sense. People are conflating the present situation with the larger legal questions. Should the federal government have the means to respond to a pandemic to protect public health? What limits are there on that authority if it exists at all? Does "my body, my choice" apply when the choice has the possibility of contributing to the sickness or death of others?

Does the federal government have the authority to demand that caregivers meet certain standards for services they render that the federal government pays for? This variant is really a secondary issue.

They are only trying to mandate through OSHA because that's a small enough slice of the US that they think they can get away with it. Believe me, they would mandate it nationwide for 100% of the population if they thought they could. So that begs the question, if it is such a good thing, why not just make it a requirement for continued US citizenship?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2022, 01:27 PM

10,443 posts, read 4,030,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I do not support federal mandates for private companies.

As an employer, the federal govt. can and has always had their own conditions of employment and that's different.

But totally am against the federal govt. mandating that private company with 100 or more has to abide by a vaccine mandate.

I suspect the federal govt. is going to lose this right?
I wonder if this will make big companies think about splitting up their corporations into smaller units of less than a hundred employees to get out of the mandates?

Old 01-07-2022, 01:30 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
So the federal government, USPS, wants an exemption from their own mandate

Old 01-07-2022, 01:35 PM

8,414 posts, read 4,571,146 times
[quote=bluesjuke;62656119]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
They are arguing that un-vaccinated are a risk to vaccinated. If you are vaccinated. What risk are you afraid of?[/QUO

The vaccinated not being tested gives free pass to them to carry and spread it to work so that blows the argument of "grave danger" and safety.

Especially when you consider the fact thatthe vaccinet is be harmful to some.
That is NO type of safety regulation. What safety requirement of OSHA protects some and harms others?

The argument should be based on Law alone and nothing more.

They are actually changing that narrative to make this about protecting the UNvaccinated. They realized early on that saying it was to protect the vaccinated was ridiculous and would immediately raise the question of why even have a vaccine mandate in the first place. The 5th saw through that and put a halt to the mandate. Sadly they also kicked the can down the road which gave the administration time to massage the narrative into something less see-through. That it is now about protecting the unvaccinated is still troublesome as it means OSHA will be causing people to get fired "for their own good". Somebody eventually will realize that and question which is worse, a small chance of covid or starving to death?

Old 01-07-2022, 01:35 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
I think Sotomayor needs to fire the law clerk who fed her fake news about 100,000 children in the hospital now dying of Covid.

Clay Travis this morning (Clay Travis and Buck Sexton radio show) said when he was in law school one of his professors, who had clerked at the Supreme Court, told him how out of touch these Justices are. Someone ordered a pizza delivered and one of the older justices (no name mentioned) was surprised that you could order a pizza over the phone and get it delivered!

Old 01-07-2022, 01:39 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
The conservatives on SCOTUS face a hard decision. If they uphold personal body autonomy here, it will be harder to curtail abortion rights in those cases. I suppose the out is to just say that OSHA lacks the power to do this as an agency. But that wouldn’t stop health departments and other government entities from stepping in where OSHA gets cut off.
While I don't see any inconsistency over the abortion issue vs. getting a vaccine as we are talking about more than one life at issue with the abortion issue, I do believe that the Court will just rule that OSHA lacks the power to enforce it under the plain text of the OSHA Act itself. Note, as for other agencies--whether specifically authorized by Congress or the states using their police powers--being able to implement such vaccine mandates, I note that not even the challenging states seem to be arguing here that state governments could not institute a vaccine mandates under powers reserved to them under the Constitution. I also note that the Supreme Court has turned away challenges to state-issued COVID vaccine mandates. This is a case about federal power only as far as I'm concerned.

10,443 posts, read 4,030,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I think Sotomayor needs to fire the law clerk who fed her fake news about 100,000 children in the hospital now dying of Covid.

Clay Travis this morning (Clay Travis and Buck Sexton radio show) said when he was in law school one of his professors, who had clerked at the Supreme Court, told him how out of touch these Justices are. Someone ordered a pizza delivered and one of the older justices (no name mentioned) was surprised that you could order a pizza over the phone and get it delivered!
Isn't it a federal offense to lie to a judge, much less the Supreme Court Justices?

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I wonder if this will make big companies think about splitting up their corporations into smaller units of less than a hundred employees to get out of the mandates?
That's what I thought, too.

Old 01-07-2022, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post

The "Wise Latina" and her staff just need to stop watching the Clinton News Network and MSDNC.

Old 01-07-2022, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Good question, but I'm not so sure. From what I gather, it's mainly smaller companies already that are fighting these mandates. I'm sure with a few exceptions, larger companies seem to be requiring the vaccines on their own or are willfully acquiescing to state mandates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies