Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2022, 02:10 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,940,787 times

Advertisements

[quote=GotHereQuickAsICould;62668589]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I'm not seeing any evidence that he set off to murder anyone.

.../QUOTE]

They took a video of chasing Mr. Arbery down and murdering him.

What did you think they set off to do?

Invite him out for beer?
Citizens arrest. There are dozens of other possible options between murder and invite out for a beer. They wouldn’t have recorded it if they set out to murder him. But you know this.

Old 01-09-2022, 03:38 PM

37,183 posts, read 19,189,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Sort of. The former prosecutor still needs to go away for some time, possibly local police depending on whether they tried to cover up the murder or if that was solely the prosecutor.
We also have the federal trials for the three for hate crimes. It will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Old 01-09-2022, 03:42 PM

12,957 posts, read 13,671,429 times
A lot of the time black men who are charged with murder while committing a dangerous crime get the death penalty. They essentially Kidnaped Arbery.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 01-09-2022 at 04:43 PM..

Old 01-09-2022, 05:52 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
One guy did nothing but follow them and record it and he’s a murderer? Only one person shot him.

He was an accessory to murder. If you are present when a crime is committed but you do nothing to stop the crime, you don't generally get off without punishment. In this case, a man was chased and murdered, so the punishment fit the crime. At no point does he tell the other two to back off. In fact, the only reason he shared the video is he thought it would get them off.

Take it up with the judge and jury.

Quote:
Okay. There’s no way you've gone in a couple hundred houses under construction. And youve also done it “in business dress.” You obviously are lying. And he didn’t take anything because everything was locked up. He was likely looking for tools left out etc.

This was a really common weekend past time when I was growing up in Georgia. My parents absolutely took me to probably 100+ houses under construction - or at least it felt that way because I hated it. We regularly saw other families out doing the same thing so it wasn't like visiting housing developments in construction was uncommon. My parents still hit a few housing construction sites a month just to poke around - my dad says it's the same thing as when I browse Zillow for houses I'm never going to buy.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's wrong to trespass and a really weird thing to do, but it's not weird to everyone. When a new development went in next to the development my parents have lived in for 20 years, they and a few neighbors went over together to "scope it out." A security guard in the area just waved... but of course, these were a bunch of white, middle aged to elderly folks.

Old 01-09-2022, 06:06 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,519,061 times
Quote:
Citizens arrest. There are dozens of other possible options between murder and invite out for a beer. They wouldn’t have recorded it if they set out to murder him. But you know this.
The guy recording the video did not know what the McMichaels possible motivation was at the time. He and the McMichaels apparently barely knew each other. But you know this.

Old 01-09-2022, 06:08 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,519,061 times
Quote:
One guy did nothing but follow them and record it and he’s a murderer? Only one person shot him.
He helped chase and trap Arbery. He had an active part in what happened to the young man

Old 01-09-2022, 06:38 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
The difference between 30 days in the local lockup and life in prison was the shotgun.
Almost as if there's some sort of lesson, there.

Old 01-09-2022, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Felony murder. If you commit a crime (or take part in committing one) and someone dies as a direct result, you can be found guilty. If you join in a bank robbery and one of your fellow bank robbers shoot and kill a security guard, that's felony murder. Perfectly akin to what happened here.

It's sometimes defined overly broad, IMO - but it's law, has been on the books for ages.

Old 01-09-2022, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Every self defense, hand to hand combat , women's self defense class I have ever heard of teaches you how to disarm an attacker.
According to some in this thread, that pretty much makes you responsible for your own death. What a world, eh?

Old 01-09-2022, 07:28 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
According to some in this thread, that pretty much makes you responsible for your own death. What a world, eh?

I was taught that if someone is holding a gun, you have to assume they're going to use it. I guess we should just let ourselves be shot first!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies