Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2022, 09:45 AM

13,960 posts, read 5,625,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
The IRS is not going to be looking at someone with a one time sale of a couch. if you are THAT concerned, get cash.

I have never taken Venmo when I do a garage sale.
They aren't really looking at anyone at all, because it's a waste of time and resources.

They passed a surveillance law that they hope will scare some percentage of the population into self-surveilling, thus volunteering to pay more taxes.

Nothing more, nothing less. Just another implied legal threat meant to scare the children into desired behavior.

Old 01-08-2022, 09:49 AM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
If the couch was worth $1500.00 why did you sell it for $800.00?
Have you ever gotten new price out of a couch you bought new, wore out, and then sold? If so, you should go into the used car business.

Old 01-08-2022, 11:05 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,676,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Have you ever gotten new price out of a couch you bought new, wore out, and then sold? If so, you should go into the used car business.
So it wasn't a loss after all.

Old 01-08-2022, 11:11 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,873,116 times
Subvert it by dealing in cash or crypto.

Old 01-08-2022, 11:16 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...g-600-IRS.html

Welp, elections have consequences and this is what the left wanted so now we all have to suffer.
Welp - nope --- not a new tax levy at all..... Treasury proposal would change reporting requirements to account for transactions made on smartphone apps

And I think we covered this

Old 01-08-2022, 11:24 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
They aren't really looking at anyone at all, because it's a waste of time and resources.

They passed a surveillance law that they hope will scare some percentage of the population into self-surveilling, thus volunteering to pay more taxes.

Nothing more, nothing less. Just another implied legal threat meant to scare the children into desired behavior.
This is mainly to close an existing loop hole for business transactions.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-08-2022, 11:30 AM

43,096 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It only applies to commercial transactions.

The tax-reporting change only applies to charges for commercial goods or services, not personal charges to friends and family, like splitting a dinner bill.

In an explanatory document on the new tax changes, the IRS said these changes also apply to people who sell items on internet auction sites like eBay and people who "have a holiday craft business" so long as they accept credit card payments through these apps.

If you wouldn't report the sale of your couch before, you wouldn't now. It's the same law as before. If you sell something for less than you paid.... like a couch..... it doesn't count. If you are that concerned, ask for cash. I've always requested cash when selling items.
It's different now. It's not you reporting; it's the third party settlement sites like Paypal and Venmo sending out these 1099-K forms to both you and the IRS at this new threshold of $600. The previous threshold was $20K.

https://www.augustachronicle.com/sto...rs/6372523001/
According to PayPal, while banks and payment service providers, like PayPal and Venmo are required by the IRS to send customers a Form-1099K if they meet the $600 threshold amount, there are certain amounts that may be included on the form that are generally excluded from gross income and therefore are not subject to income tax. This includes:

Amounts from selling personal items at a loss
Amounts sent as reimbursement
Amounts sent as a gift

So, for example, if you purchased a couch for $1,200 and sold it for $800, this amount would not be subject to income tax. Sellers are encouraged to speak with a tax professional when reviewing their 1099-Ks to determine whether specific amounts are classified as taxable income.

Old 01-08-2022, 12:02 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,509,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
"Capital assets held for personal use that are sold at a loss generally do not need to be reported on your taxes. The loss is generally not deductible, as well."

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips...sses/L1bKWgPea
Right. Items sold at a loss never were required to even be reported prior to this. They will now. You will get a 1099-K regardless if over $600. Selling one used iPhone could put you over the limit.

This is the big change. Some are not "getting it". I keep reading, "this has always been the law, you were always required to report, etc." Only for income, NOT for items sold at a loss. There was never a reporting requirement until now. This will be a huge hassle for many.

Old 01-08-2022, 12:15 PM

12,962 posts, read 13,676,205 times
Welcome to self employment. For around 25 years of being self employed full time I was darn glad to get 1099's from three of my contacts. That meant they were giving me lots of work. The tax preparer that I used all those years showed me that the self employment tax which at that time was 12% for me, was going to come out of what I was due in my return.
The thing about money from internet sales is there is not a lot of cost to claim. I guess you could claim your; internet, mailing , packaging cost and amortize your cell phone and computer.

Old 01-08-2022, 12:37 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
It's different now. It's not you reporting; it's the third party settlement sites like Paypal and Venmo sending out these 1099-K forms to both you and the IRS at this new threshold of $600. The previous threshold was $20K.

https://www.augustachronicle.com/sto...rs/6372523001/
According to PayPal, while banks and payment service providers, like PayPal and Venmo are required by the IRS to send customers a Form-1099K if they meet the $600 threshold amount, there are certain amounts that may be included on the form that are generally excluded from gross income and therefore are not subject to income tax. This includes:

Amounts from selling personal items at a loss
Amounts sent as reimbursement
Amounts sent as a gift

So, for example, if you purchased a couch for $1,200 and sold it for $800, this amount would not be subject to income tax. Sellers are encouraged to speak with a tax professional when reviewing their 1099-Ks to determine whether specific amounts are classified as taxable income.

Anytime I rec'd payment (business, which is what this is for) for over $600, tax forms were filled out. This will end up no different I didn't "self report" the payer is required to do it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies