Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2022, 10:56 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,925,052 times

Advertisements

I still think a hybrid is the better choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2022, 10:58 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,469,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
I live in Eastern south Dakota...electric vehicles are not ideal in the Dakota's, Minnesota, or Wisconsin. Especially eastern north dakota, there's just no way....it's too cold in Fargo for way too many days per year. Some of us want no stops during our long trips also...having an 8 hour trip take 12 because of vehicle charging won't cut it.

I'm all for being more green, I just thought we should have gone the fuel cell route over the battery route. I likely won't buy a battery powered vehicle in the 2020's.

Hybrid technology like the Prius was a nice happy medium but the battery packs still cost way too much when they fail.
I haven't checked lately, but you might be surprised at used prices on eBay. many more wrecks than failed batteries.

Old 01-08-2022, 11:04 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,262,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i was thinking about this exact same topic when this was in the local news in the past week.. that in a 30-50 mile jam, there had to be a few unfortunate Tesla drivers.
There was a similar situation here in PA a few years back on route 80. Cars were stranded for a long time but I can't remember the details.

Old 01-08-2022, 11:05 AM

2,953 posts, read 992,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderic View Post
Right now, the most attractive difference to me is the mechanical simplicity the EV have over ICE. If e-motorcycles come down in price, I would buy one just to commute that 30 minutes to work. I need that larger battery for highway speed. Then I could charge it overnight at home ready for the next day.
Watch The Long Way Up series with Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman. They rode Harley LiveWire's from Patagonia to LA. Prototype models no less. At first their range was pathetic and their progress was very slow. Special charging stations had been installed in advance along their route too so there was some fakery built into the endeavor. They eventually solved a lot of the miles/amp issue with system tuning by Harley techs. I was super impressed by the reliability of the bikes. They were unbelievably solid. Amazing to me that these Harley prototypes worked so damn well. The gas engine BMW road/enduro bikes that the pair used in the earlier episode (Long Way Around) where they rode around the world were NOT as reliable. Broken frames etc in the middle of Mongolia.

Very impressive effort with those ebikes. I still don't want one. I like the whole sound and feel vibe of my HD v-twins. Personal taste but I'm unbiased enough to give a tip of the hat to the alternative.

Old 01-08-2022, 11:11 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,044,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderic View Post
Right now, the most attractive difference to me is the mechanical simplicity the EV have over ICE. If e-motorcycles come down in price, I would buy one just to commute that 30 minutes to work. I need that larger battery for highway speed. Then I could charge it overnight at home ready for the next day.
EV's are really urban, commuter cars. PERIOD. They really work well in that environment.

I would be fine with a law that in major metro areas people could own ONLY ONE ICE vehicle. The other has to be a EV.

I lived in an area where electricity is basically free (2.3 cents a kilowatt hour).

I would buy a EV if it could do this..........

125 mile range at ZERO degrees plus 6-8 thousand feet of elevation gain and 4wd for around 20,000.

So far....nada. The problem isn't the 20,000 as much it is the elevation gain at ZERO degrees and the need to go 125 miles.

I do have an off-grid house that runs on basically runs on propane with solar as my backup!!!

So far, batteries and cold do NOT work well at all. Lithium batteries do not even charge below 32 degrees unless they are specially built to heat themselves!!!

BUT, make them mandatory in flat-lander parts of California. They do work there, IF California has enough electricity.

Old 01-08-2022, 11:42 AM

1,873 posts, read 649,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
Watch The Long Way Up series with Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman. They rode Harley LiveWire's from Patagonia to LA. Prototype models no less. At first their range was pathetic and their progress was very slow. Special charging stations had been installed in advance along their route too so there was some fakery built into the endeavor. They eventually solved a lot of the miles/amp issue with system tuning by Harley techs. I was super impressed by the reliability of the bikes. They were unbelievably solid. Amazing to me that these Harley prototypes worked so damn well. The gas engine BMW road/enduro bikes that the pair used in the earlier episode (Long Way Around) where they rode around the world were NOT as reliable. Broken frames etc in the middle of Mongolia.

Very impressive effort with those ebikes. I still don't want one. I like the whole sound and feel vibe of my HD v-twins. Personal taste but I'm unbiased enough to give a tip of the hat to the alternative.
In the summer/fall my daily is a '98 Buell S1, unless I need grocery. I get 40 mpg and the 4.5 gal tank will last one week of to/from work commute. But other than the city, my FJ Cruiser is whenever I need to go long distance. So if I do get an e-motorcycle, it will be mostly for work and the S1 will be for fun.

Old 01-08-2022, 08:22 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,829,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The other option is driving around with gasoline....

Fiery crashes can happen in both EV's and ICE's

https://www.bing.com/search?q=man+bu...a1eb9dc6e3949d
Or in the case of my Lexus hybrid, high voltage AND gasoline.

The difference is that you can usually see a fire burning but not necessarily see or sense an exposed electrical contact until you are electrocuted.

Old 01-08-2022, 08:43 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I still think a hybrid is the better choice.
me too. the best of both worlds without the handicaps of electric-only.

Old 01-08-2022, 09:13 PM

2,326 posts, read 959,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
There were ICE cars that ran out of gas on the road, so.....basically, same problem, either way?

Yeah, I'm not seeing this as an EV only issue.

Old 01-08-2022, 09:14 PM

2,326 posts, read 959,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I was thinking about this as well. A Tesla actually uses very little of its power to keep the basics like heat running but still there is an end and when it comes what does one do?

When an ICE runs out of gas you can bring a can, add a couple of gallons and you are off to fill it up at the nearest gas station but when an EV runs out of power can they bring out a generator or is the car towed to a charging station?

Talk about a cluster when dozens or hundreds of electric cars need to be towed.

There are several options. There are portable batteries that can give a little juice. There's V2L. They are not as quick as adding a gallon of gas though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies