Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2022, 09:19 PM

2,326 posts, read 960,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
Obviously. But storing it, gathering it and transporting it is all within the technical grasp of well, anyone anytime. Don't you understand the difference between its simplicity and the complexity of acquiring a battery charge? How do you 'find' and carry battery charge in an emergency??? You are totally reliant on a high-tech rescue system, i.e. a specialized EV charge station or the aforementioned rescue truck that has the same requirements. I can rescue myself with a gas powered car.

Is it really?? Explain how it's easier for YOU to generate electricity? And don't tell me that you just plug into a wall socket as if that's some continuous reliable resource.

We are talking about the here and now. That aside, you will always have the issue of electric storage across periods of emergency induced blackouts. Gasoline is a fuel that is constant across periods of power outages. Texas suffered an ice storm that left many without power for weeks. I have a 7KW gas generator and I weathered that long power outage by tapping stores of gas in my cars as well as the fifty gallons that I keep in the garage. ... and I still had gas necessary to run my 4WD out into the country to rescue my 90 yr old mother stuck in her farmhouse. No thanks on the EV and total electric dependency.

Guess you've never heard of batteries and solar energy.
And gas goes stale after a couple of years, even with Stabil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2022, 09:45 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Tesla fUlly charged, 80 hours.

ICE fully fueled idling about 20 hours.

This thread really just face-planted hard right out of the gate.

An ICE doesn't need to be idled continuously to maintain a warm cabin and electrical power (radio, phone charger, etc.).

Most IC late model cars have a start/stop feature that will circulate warm engine coolant through the heater core while the engine is not running, and the batteries (typically two on newer vehicles) can maintain electrical power when the engine stops.

The auxiliary battery assures a restart even if the main battery is fully depleted.

In contrast, every minute an EV's radio, phone chargers, battery heaters and the heat pump (Tesla) are operating, they are pulling power from the batteries.

As for that 20 hour idle time IC vehicle, I'd like to know the specifics because a 3.5l Explorer will idle continuously for 33 hours.

https://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatur...quarter%20tank.

Old 01-09-2022, 12:08 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,741,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
An ICE doesn't need to be idled continuously to maintain a warm cabin and electrical power (radio, phone charger, etc.).

Most IC late model cars have a start/stop feature that will circulate warm engine coolant through the heater core while the engine is not running, and the batteries (typically two on newer vehicles) can maintain electrical power when the engine stops.

The auxiliary battery assures a restart even if the main battery is fully depleted.

In contrast, every minute an EV's radio, phone chargers, battery heaters and the heat pump (Tesla) are operating, they are pulling power from the batteries.

As for that 20 hour idle time IC vehicle, I'd like to know the specifics because a 3.5l Explorer will idle continuously for 33 hours.

https://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatur...quarter%20tank.
Depends on fuel burn at idle and fuel tank size.

I went 20hr on over 3/4 of a tank (indicated) in below zero weather idling my van for heat once. That would have been more fuel had I needed to run the blower on a higher setting or if I’d been pulling power out of the sockets. And most definitely more burn if I had been running the ac to dehumidify. But I didn’t have anything like a scan gauge to pull data on idling fuel burn, so I have only rough math at around .6g/hr.

I’ll have to scroll through my UltraGauge and see what it says on my Civic tomorrow. It has a nominal 11.8g tank, but I run it effectively as a 10g tank as I don’t have the courage to test how conservative the “guess gauge” is, and I’ve never had a double-digit gallon fill at the pump. I’d wager it’s in the .3-.4gph range, which at 10g effective capacity gives it a potential idling time of 25-30h presuming a full tank.

Old 01-09-2022, 12:10 AM

2,450 posts, read 972,943 times
Always keep a couple of blankets, water, and snacks in your car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies