Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2022, 08:52 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
My rights don't end where your statistically impaired irrationality begins.
And that is why they hate the 2nd Amendment's explicit protection of the one right that gives you the compelling case to be left alone, secure in your rights.

They want that statistically impaired irrationality to rule you with an iron fist, but your right to keep and arms, which itself is the logical/natural extension of both absolute private property rights and the right of self-ownership, stops them from implementing that irrationality on the institutional level.

That's why have these "because the neighbor's dog crapped on their carpet, we need to beat all of our children" theories on gun control. They have to come up with something...ANYTHING...to take your ability to defend your own rights away from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2022, 09:08 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
I'm not worried. I've accepted that my safety is entirely on me. I think when you do that and take all the reasonable steps you can to make yourself safe it brings a sense of peace.
Bottom line is all our safety is our responsibility. Girls have to learn how to be safe from boys. We teach kids not to talk to strangers and there’s a million other preventive measures we take to be safe. Cameras, lights, fences, a mad dog, locks and even digital gadgets and programs. You can add gun - but that can only be used if confronted under certain circumstances. Again, it’s just a tool, to be used as a last resort. Keep them clean.

Old 01-10-2022, 09:12 AM

1,134 posts, read 404,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
..... And yes, it actually is something to celebrate. It means that people are taking the responsibility of their own protection and the possibility of the countries protection seriously.
Absolutely. And we should probably also celebrate the fact that "progressive" policies of quite a few Mayors and DA's (like George Gascón in Los Angeles) are coming home to roost. That one Chicago Police Chief criticized Lori Lightfoot's soft approach last year saying, "You can't coddle violent criminals!!"

People are taking notice. Not AOC though, she says there's no connection. Why am I not surprised.....

Old 01-10-2022, 09:20 AM

2,953 posts, read 993,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
And that is why they hate the 2nd Amendment's explicit protection of the one right that gives you the compelling case to be left alone, secure in your rights.

They want that statistically impaired irrationality to rule you with an iron fist, but your right to keep and arms, which itself is the logical/natural extension of both absolute private property rights and the right of self-ownership, stops them from implementing that irrationality on the institutional level.

That's why have these "because the neighbor's dog crapped on their carpet, we need to beat all of our children" theories on gun control. They have to come up with something...ANYTHING...to take your ability to defend your own rights away from you.
Look no further than gun-free Australia to see what 'benign' governments will do when they decide that a "national emergency" (their definition) merits exceptional action on their part.

Rubber bullets used against protesters. Nighttime curfews. One hour of outdoor exercise per day. Five km travel limits. Soldiers patrolling suburbs for enforcement. Advisories from health bureaucracies to not stop and talk to neighbors while walking dogs.

Australians like Canadians are another pacified citizenry that has given up their firearm rights in favor of trust that their government will take care of them. Look what happens when a government takes advantage of that trust and the people find themselves with no means to push back. I want our govt to run about 25% scared of us at all times. That's how this doesn't happen. If widespread gun ownership keeps them worried about how far they can push their level of control then GOOD. That's what 2A is for. Not hunting or target shooting or even defense against crime ... it's really about this.

Old 01-10-2022, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Bottom line is all our safety is our responsibility. Girls have to learn how to be safe from boys. We teach kids not to talk to strangers and there’s a million other preventive measures we take to be safe. Cameras, lights, fences, a mad dog, locks and even digital gadgets and programs. You can add gun - but that can only be used if confronted under certain circumstances. Again, it’s just a tool, to be used as a last resort. Keep them clean.
Completely agree. It's a last resort. This is what good firearms training and LTC classes teach. They teach discretion, some aspects of the law and they teach you how to make decisions about when to remove yourself from situations and how to quickly evaluate when that option is gone. They also teach the consequences of using a gun in self-defense. The criminal and civil liabilities involved. The impact of a legal defense against a civil challenge. The psychological impact on yourself after using your gun. How carefully you need to react to provocations when you are carrying a gun as this relates to whether or not you are charged criminally or civilly. When to intervene on behalf of someone else and when not to. To prospective LTC candidates (friends or family) I always say "If you think that carrying makes you a badass then you are exactly the wrong kind of person to do it. When you carry you need to think like a Shaolin Monk. You are the most disciplined, peaceful and calm person on Earth ... until you are forced not to be."

Old 01-10-2022, 09:40 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"however I doubt anyone really cares and tbh why the hell have a crossbow, it's not a hunting weapon"

You lost any credibility you might had had on he issue right here!

Used 1 for YEARS!
LOL - what do you hunt with a Crossbow then Rambo.

As for not being a hunting weapon and losing all credibility, it's not a hunting weapon because using a crossbow (or any bow weapon) for hunting is illegal in the UK and in other countries.

Crossbow hunting is deemed unnecessary, and also causes unnecessary suffering as opposed to killing an animal cleanly.

In terms of large mammals you have to kill them cleanly with a high powered rifles, and there are qualifications involved in some countries, whilst shotguns are usually used in terms of game birds.

You can use lower powered rifles for animals classed as pests and vermin, but again you wouldn't use a crossbow.

Crossbows are also not a self defence weapon in the UK, and you can't take offensive weapons in to a public place, so there is no real point in them in the UK.

People who want to shoot at targets join a proper archery club or gun club.

I therefore don't care if further legislation is introduced in relation to crossbows (or indeed air rifles) both of which have also been used by sick warped individuals to shoot at domestic animals in the past.

Last edited by Brave New World; 01-10-2022 at 09:54 AM..

Old 01-10-2022, 09:47 AM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

As for not being a hunting weapon and losing all credibility, it's not a hunting weapon because using a crossbow (or any bow weapon) for hunting is illegal in the UK and in other countries.
Yeah.....hunting with a crossbow is quite popular and still on the rise. If your comment was sarcasm , I apologize.

https://www.gameandfishmag.com/edito...ossbows/384914

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sport...in/2538580002/

Old 01-10-2022, 09:49 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Completely agree. It's a last resort. This is what good firearms training and LTC classes teach. They teach discretion, some aspects of the law and they teach you how to make decisions about when to remove yourself from situations and how to quickly evaluate when that option is gone. They also teach the consequences of using a gun in self-defense. The criminal and civil liabilities involved. The impact of a legal defense against a civil challenge. The psychological impact on yourself after using your gun. How carefully you need to react to provocations when you are carrying a gun as this relates to whether or not you are charged criminally or civilly. When to intervene on behalf of someone else and when not to. To prospective LTC candidates (friends or family) I always say "If you think that carrying makes you a badass then you are exactly the wrong kind of person to do it. When you carry you need to think like a Shaolin Monk. You are the most disciplined, peaceful and calm person on Earth ... until you are forced not to be."
Agreed 100%

Old 01-10-2022, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

Aren't sharp sticks now illegal in the UK? I like knives and I usually buy them as souvenirs on my travels. When I was in Cornwall a few years ago I thought I would bring something home. Well forget about that. I couldn't find a folding blade or a hunting knife anywhere. It was nuts! It made me wonder if Brits mow their lawns because if I was a terrorist who wanted to go all Rwanda on a crowded train station I would flip over my mower and pull the blade off and make a wicked machete out of it. Does the govt think people can't find pieces of metal to sharpen against a rock?

Old 01-10-2022, 09:59 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Aren't sharp sticks now illegal in the UK? I like knives and I usually buy them as souvenirs on my travels. When I was in Cornwall a few years ago I thought I would bring something home. Well forget about that. I couldn't find a folding blade or a hunting knife anywhere. It was nuts! It made me wonder if Brits mow their lawns because if I was a terrorist who wanted to go all Rwanda on a crowded train station I would flip over my mower and pull the blade off and make a wicked machete out of it. Does the govt think people can't find pieces of metal to sharpen against a rock?
UK Knife law states that you are allowed to carry a non-locking pocket knife with a blade length of up to 3 inches (7.62) in a pubic place without any need for a valid reason.

You can use knives in rural area, and those in rural areas such as farmers, game keepers, hunters etc generally have a valid reason, it is mainly in urban areas that the police will deem the carrying of knives an offensive weapon (unless you have a good reason).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies