Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2022, 12:10 PM

19,721 posts, read 10,124,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Well, we have elected politicians telling the police not to protect private property or private businesses during BLM, antifa, Democrat riots. If the police cannot protect them, then people will arm themselves to protect themselves from the violent and insane left.
And SCOTUS said the police have no obligation to protect anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2022, 12:20 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
LOL - what do you hunt with a Crossbow then Rambo.

As for not being a hunting weapon and losing all credibility, it's not a hunting weapon because using a crossbow (or any bow weapon) for hunting is illegal in the UK and in other countries.

Crossbow hunting is deemed unnecessary, and also causes unnecessary suffering as opposed to killing an animal cleanly.
This reminds me of an article I read YEARS ago that wanted to switch Native American whale hunting from the dozen or so hand held harpoons to a harpoon cannon for the mercy of the animal. That they could still have their hunts but now like that.

Except, that such an expense would put an end to their hunts since they could not afford such items.....to say nothing (the article didn't) of how much the entire village is involved in the traditional whale hunt.

Off hand, that, this, or another, it seems like the classical political tactic of "We will allow you to still do it but now you must do it this way....." and it becomes so expensive that it cannot be afforded.

Old 01-10-2022, 01:30 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
And SCOTUS said the police have no obligation to protect anyone.
THIS, 100%. The police have no responsibility/obligation whatsoever to protect anyone. Self-defense is solely each individual's responsibility.

Old 01-10-2022, 01:56 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But my point is evil people who want to abuse the 2nd Amendment by shooting innocent people with guns need well removed from socieity, not guns.
The overwhelming majority of BGs don't care about T2A.

Forgive the slight incongruence..........Texas has many years of crime data per CHL holders and the genpop. CHL holders are preverbal choir boys. The data cements your point as bogus as you likely already know it is.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/sites/defa...report2020.pdf

Old 01-10-2022, 02:16 PM

57,288 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Legal guns, think about what you just said. Do you really think those in chicago and the deaths there are actually by legla guns?

Yes they were legal at one time until they were lost, I guess that point went over your head.

There are 330 million guns in the US and guess what, some gun owners are careless.

So do you think adding more guns will solve the crime problem in cities or is it just ranting.

Old 01-10-2022, 02:35 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
It should be noted for all Americans reading your messages that you are a Canadian who carpetbags the winter in a southern coastal state. You grew up in a country of people as placid as Hindu cows possessing a mentality that the govt is a benign and caring entity that is devoted to keeping them safe. No American should feel obligated to convince you of why we feel the need to be armed. It's quite clear from your omnipresence in American threads that you are fixated on America and its politics/culture. You gravytrain our great country for half the year and yet you show contempt for us at every turn and and have apparently learned very little about our culture. People should bear this context in mind when they read your advice or assign any weight to your opinions about our country. I say this in the interest of fair disclosure to the other readers.
This is an international forum, not an American, although there is no questions that Americans dominate it.

I spent the last decade in winter in Florida, in the deep RED part of Florida. I had great neighbors, but that didn't detract from the prevailing attitude of much of the rest of the area. The fascination with magical entities such as a god was deeply rooted. Heck, half the population wore a torture device around their neck proclaiming their allegiance to a mystical zombie.

But... I now sold one of my best accidental investments ever. I now spend time in the winter in Mexico. Genuine people, and I stay away from the sketchy areas (they certainly have them!), and am not concerned about walking around at night, nor keeping my door unlocked. And feel no need for "protection", just as I didn't feel that need in Florida or Canada.

When I see bad viewpoints, no matter where, I point them out. The fascination of "needing a gun" by a loud minority, the demonization of higher education, and the ridiculous healthcare system are not positive attributes. Ever notice how many large, successful companies are run by immigrants? Musk, Nadella (Microsoft), Pichai (Google), and even Bezos (Amazon) is a first generation American, his parents being immigrants. Who runs hotels and motels across the USA? Mostly immigrant Indians.

The USA has advantages, but long term Americans are more and more interested in silly culture wars, rather than opportunities.

You may want to ask yourself why.

Old 01-10-2022, 02:38 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
This is an international forum, not an American, although there is no questions that Americans dominate it.

I spent the last decade in winter in Florida, in the deep RED part of Florida. I had great neighbors, but that didn't detract from the prevailing attitude of much of the rest of the area. The fascination with magical entities such as a god was deeply rooted. Heck, half the population wore a torture device around their neck proclaiming their allegiance to a mystical zombie.

But... I now sold one of my best accidental investments ever. I now spend time in the winter in Mexico. Genuine people, and I stay away from the sketchy areas (they certainly have them!), and am not concerned about walking around at night, nor keeping my door unlocked. And feel no need for "protection", just as I didn't feel that need in Florida or Canada.

When I see bad viewpoints, no matter where, I point them out. The fascination of "needing a gun" by a loud minority, the demonization of higher education, and the ridiculous healthcare system are not positive attributes. Ever notice how many large, successful companies are run by immigrants? Musk, Nadella (Microsoft), Pichai (Google), and even Bezos (Amazon) is a first generation American, his parents being immigrants. Who runs hotels and motels across the USA? Mostly immigrant Indians.

The USA has advantages, but long term Americans are more and more interested in silly culture wars, rather than opportunities.

And they say I speak in strange tongues!

Old 01-10-2022, 03:05 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Yes they were legal at one time until they were lost, I guess that point went over your head.
Why do you think you provided anything other than your opinion. Opinions are not "points."

Quote:
There are 330 million guns in the US and guess what, some gun owners are careless.
Yes there are. Tell us what you think about those that don't care about laws that still have guns?

Quote:
So do you think adding more guns will solve the crime problem in cities or is it just ranting.
Well, we'll see....people are not buying guns because crime is going down.

Maybe more laws are the answer, yes?

Old 01-10-2022, 03:25 PM

2,953 posts, read 993,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post

Appreciate that. I've enjoyed a couple years of hammering you for embodying the cliche of the smug anti-American Canadian driven ironically by a huge inferiority complex ... but my efforts have paled in comparison to your own words here that serve as the ultimate existence proof of my theorem. q.e.d.

Have you entirely decamped the US for Mexico? I ask hopefully.

Old 01-10-2022, 04:15 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I am not being sarcastic, you actually can not go hunting with a crossbow in the UK and a umber of other countries.
And in many other countries you can legally hunt with a crossbow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies